Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

I lost a nice Rodgers pipe tool

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

I lost a nice Rodgers pipe tool

Postby ratatosk » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:34 am

that cost about $22, nobody seemed to have one in stock in the US to replace it. So I made the mistake of seeing this beauty:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessorie ... _id=251755

I would be embarrassed to tell you how much it cost, more than many pipes do. But it is something like art I suppose.

Anyway, I will try not to lose this one. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: I lost a nice Rodgers pipe tool

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:56 am

Sincerely hope you don’t lose that one, Richard! Looks a fine piece of craftwork. A good pipe knife is worth the cost. I have a couple of old Rodgers’ tools. They do the job and they tend to be used daily.
I’m surprised, though, that the Rodgers are not available where you are. I imagined them to be universal stock.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 am

Rodgers tools are generally available online in US, just out of stock for the one that I wanted to replace. That was the all steel one, those with other handle materials are lighter and more prone to being flipped out of a pocket without notice.

Anyway, I've never heard of a pipe tool that comes in a leather bag before, so I am looking forward to seeing what this thing is like. The French make some nice high end goods- J'espère que ce sera aussi fonctionnel que beau. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 am

Quite by chance I saw this tool last evening on the Al Pascià website. A lovely piece of work, quite a handsome thing. Should give years of service, Richard. As you say, if I’ve interpreted correctly, both form and function in one.
Geo3rge

Postby ratatosk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:06 am

To follow up, the new pipe tool arrived and is a wonderful piece of artisanal work, around 4 inches long and essentially the same thing as a high end handmade pocketknife with a special purpose rounded blade instead of a pointed one. More than close enough to knife to get you Brits in trouble if used in public although it would be almost impossible to hurt anyone with it unless you stabbed them in the eye with the pick.

So I am quite pleased with this purchase, but once it was in hand, the Rodgers tool that it was replacing turned up (naturally). It had fallen into the gap between the driver's seat and console in my car and I found it by accident when a pen dropped down there today. Many people would say that this was a waste then, a Fail. I don't see it that way... I have a very nice example of what can happen when no expense is spared to make a common thing and the comfort of knowing that some (likely small) portion of the many bucks I spent on my new tool assured that some Frenchman in Laguiole will be asked to make another one for sale and keep working. Plus, my wife never heard about it or the money I dumped. :)
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Lovely story and well told! Enjoy them both now, Richard. Should your wife spot the new one, I sure you will have convincing reason to hand...
Geo3rge

Return to Accessories