Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Zippo lighters??

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Zippo lighters??

Postby hooboy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 pm

As most everyone does I have 2 or 3 Zippo lighters and after several attempts to find a reliable butane
insert I have given up!
I really like the reliability and the and respect the Zippo has thru out the ages BUT the scent of the lighter fluid leaves me cold.
I have took the advice of letting it burn a tad before using it, etc. BUT the scent does not lessen.
It is the scent NOT the taste, as I have a friend, a fellow piper that due to a childhood accident does not have a sense of smell
He uses a zippo regularly and says it is NOT the taste, and I trust his judgement on the matter.
I have heard that Zippo makes a fluid that has no smell or taste BUT have not been able to find it!
My question is does Zippo or any other brand make this and If so where can one obtain it.
Replies appreciated!
hoo
I feel strongly both ways!
hooboy

Re: Zippo lighters??

Postby sugarcane1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 am

Yes, it comes in a black can.
sugarcane1

Postby 12toneman » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:21 pm

i'm with you. i can't stand the taste. amazon has the low odor stuff.

...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby hooboy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks a lot Now I will order some and try the zippo again!
hoo-
hooboy

Postby hooboy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Well I got a can, tried it, conclusion... Still got the fuel taste( altho somewhat diminished,) , smell, plus it evaporates like son of a gun in lighter need to refuel twice as often, Sorry I tried!
Go back to sleep little zippo!
hoo
hooboy

Postby PuFFaH » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Low odour......rubbish, it still honks and tastes as bad.
PuFFaH

Postby hooboy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:36 pm

PuFFaH , You and I and a few others seem to be in the minority and speaking our opinion doesn't set well with some! LOL
The zippo which by the way (Notice zippo fans) are a very reliable item with a illustrious History and Reputation., and I own more than 2 and used them religiously as a cigarette smoker BUT when I gave them up and developed a taste for real tobacco WITHOUT the fuel essence I alas , gave them up also. Now having said this I will say" I WISH "I could learn to like them because of all of the reasons I described!
I came , I tried, (More than once ) I failed , I am saddened , but I will get over it! lol
hoo
hooboy

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:27 pm

I use my (two) Zippo lighters frequently. I have come to love them. A tip someone gave me, which I believe works very well, was, having opened it, to give the lighter a flick or shake to dispel any fumes or build up of gases in the lid. I've found this to be invaluable before lighting. Yes, I can smell a slight odour, but these days it doesn't seem to bother me and I don't notice any appreciable effect on taste.
I have found them great things to use, particularly outdoors. I also just happen to like the 'clunk' when opening and closing! The only drawback is the frequent need to re-fuel if they are used often.
Hope you can find some satisfaction in your Zippo journey...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby William » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:24 pm

Geo3rge wrote:I use my (two) Zippo lighters frequently. I have come to love them. A tip someone gave me, which I believe works very well, was, having opened it, to give the lighter a flick or shake to dispel any fumes or build up of gases in the lid. I've found this to be invaluable before lighting. Yes, I can smell a slight odour, but these days it doesn't seem to bother me and I don't notice any appreciable effect on taste.
I have found them great things to use, particularly outdoors. I also just happen to like the 'clunk' when opening and closing! The only drawback is the frequent need to re-fuel if they are used often.
Hope you can find some satisfaction in your Zippo journey...
Steve

I couldn't agree more on all points Steve.
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Smitty » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:09 am

I have a Zippo pipe lighter that takes the standard lighter fluid. I use Ronsonol because it doesn't evaporate from the lighter nearly as fast as Zippo and it DOES have that fuel smell. I like the smell actually. It reminds me of my good ole' high school days for some reason. I never noticed any taste to it though.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Return to Accessories