Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Reliable Zippos

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Reliable Zippos

Postby Geo3rge » Wed May 17, 2017 11:10 am

I prefer lighters to matches as I have a problem with the odour of the latter. Mainly gas lighters, but my two Zippos have also been providing super service in my outdoor pursuits lately. I really like them and, apart from an initial slowness in lighting a bowl, depending on the the moistness of the tobacco, they have performed superbly.
The slightest breeze does for my gas ones, whereas the Zippo copes very well indeed, unless it's a gale and then my beard needs to watch out in the dancing flames!
There is an odour but, after flicking the lid and waving the device about for a few seconds, it seems to dissipate rapidly.
Considering their status, they sell for a remarkably cheap price.

Anyone else like Zippos or other liquid fuel lighters?

Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Reliable Zippos

Postby Dodger » Wed May 17, 2017 8:38 pm

I have one but it is not my favourite as apart from the smell it is not very good with flake and plug tobacco .
That said it is simple to use and has little to go wrong and is a lot cheaper than pipe gas lighters which seem to go wrong after a few months .
I can understand why non flake smokers rave about them but not me .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Sat May 20, 2017 1:40 pm

I have been smoking a pipe since I was 18 and that was 1967. I have always used Zippos the reasons why you ask? Well, they are reliable, wear like Iron free lifetime repairs and the number one reason. When I was a young lad like 12 years old fall rabbit Hunting with my Grandfather, The end of the day and walking back home he would stop and light his pipe, the Click of the Zippo lid now that my friend is a memory and the reason I love Zippos.

Up Spirits Mates
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Geo3rge » Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am

acaciavet wrote:I have been smoking a pipe since I was 18 and that was 1967. I have always used Zippos the reasons why you ask? Well, they are reliable, wear like Iron free lifetime repairs and the number one reason. When I was a young lad like 12 years old fall rabbit Hunting with my Grandfather, The end of the day and walking back home he would stop and light his pipe, the Click of the Zippo lid now that my friend is a memory and the reason I love Zippos.

Up Spirits Mates

Good memories indeed, Chuck. That's good enough for me. And happy fiftieth year in pipe smoking!
May your pipes and Zippos long continue.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to Accessories