Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

How uses a Nimrod?

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

How uses a Nimrod?

Postby BladeBoy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:57 am

Please excuse my typo in the title of this thread, it should say "Who uses a Nimrod?" but anyway, I got two Nimrod pipeliters off Ebay this week, One was high the other low in price so between the two I did alright, funny the nastier of two lite right up after fueling the other advertised as excellent with flint and ready to use was none of the above I had to work on it for over an hour there was no flint and the flint tube was very badly plugged after 5 pipe cleaners and alcohol I finely got it working. just thought I'd see who uses one and if there was anything special I should know about them.
Last edited by BladeBoy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BladeBoy

Re: How uses a Nimrod?

Postby kats » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:03 am

I'm sure you'll find several nimrods on T&P :lol:
I'm also interested in a full report on how the lighters work out. 8-)
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby ScotsJim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Me too wanna know how. Me too !

I've got one, but when you try to light it the flint doesn't appear to be set close enough to the wick. I tried bending the wick toward the flint but that didn't work. On striking the fint there appears to be more spark on the outside of the lighter than the inside. I am sure it's just a matter of adjusting something or other :roll:

I'll watch this thread with interest.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby ChuckMac » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:12 pm

I've got two Nimrods. The Commander, which I like much better than the Zippo and the Sportsman. The Sportsman is the one that looks like a nut on a bolt. It's a real Nimrod not the newer version made by the new company. Lights with no problems, just doesn't hold much fuel and isn't worth a firkin lighting a pipe. Poorly designed. Hard to get the flame down into the tobacco and goes out easily while trying to do so.
Last edited by ChuckMac on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby acaciavet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:21 pm

kats wrote:I'm sure you'll find several nimrods on T&P :lol:
I'm also interested in a full report on how the lighters work out. 8-)

You beat me to that one KATS

Up Spirits
Chuck
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Tarheelmike » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a Ninrod too. It is the plated one with the leather on one end. It works great. I really don't know of any adjustments that can be made to the lighter other than new flint and wick. They were made to be lighted with the cover closed, hand on end w/o cover and snapped open while striking the flint. Pretty simple lighters. I don't know if this helps anyone, just what I know.
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
Tarheelmike

Postby BladeBoy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:58 pm

ScotsJim wrote:Me too wanna know how. Me too !

I've got one, but when you try to light it the flint doesn't appear to be set close enough to the wick. I tried bending the wick toward the flint but that didn't work. On striking the fint there appears to be more spark on the outside of the lighter than the inside. I am sure it's just a matter of adjusting something or other :roll:

Sounds like you are striking the wheel in the wrong direction, when holding the lighter in front of you the ribbed section of the barrel should be in your right hand with the strike wheel facing away from you then slide it open and strike the wheel to the left with your right index finger OR an even easier method is to hold the lighter with the ribbed section in your right hand with the strike wheel facing away from you then grab the other end of the lighter (the smooth section) and put your finger over the strike and in one motion you will pull the light open and light it as your left index finger rolls the strike as you are pulling it open which is how the manufacturer intended it to worked. I hope this isn't confusing.
BladeBoy

Postby Tarheelmike » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Bladeboy, you must be left-handed. I do it the exact opposite way, but whatever works for you.
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
Tarheelmike

Postby BladeBoy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:57 am

Nah, I'm a righty I just like to have the main body of lighter in my right, It just feels right for me but like you said there more than one way to skin a cat :)
BladeBoy

Postby ScotsJim » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Tarheelmike wrote:They were made to be lighted with the cover closed, hand on end w/o cover and snapped open while striking the flint. Pretty simple lighters. I don't know if this helps anyone, just what I know.

Helps me. I was opening it up and then trying to light it :lol:
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby ScotsJim » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:31 pm

BladeBoy wrote:
ScotsJim wrote:Me too wanna know how. Me too !

Sounds like you are striking the wheel in the wrong direction, when holding the lighter in front of you the ribbed section of the barrel should be in your right hand with the strike wheel facing away from you then slide it open and strike the wheel to the left with your right index finger OR an even easier method is to hold the lighter with the ribbed section in your right hand with the strike wheel facing away from you then grab the other end of the lighter (the smooth section) and put your finger over the strike and in one motion you will pull the light open and light it as your left index finger rolls the strike as you are pulling it open which is how the manufacturer intended it to worked. I hope this isn't confusing.

Many thanks for the advice :)
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:04 am

ChuckMac wrote:I've got two Nimrods. The Commander, which I like much better than the Zippo and the Sportsman. The Sportsman is the one that looks like a nut on a bolt. It's a real Nimrod not the newer version made by the new company. Lights with no problems, just doesn't hold much fuel and isn't worth a firkin lighting a pipe. Poorly designed. Hard to get the flame down into the tobacco and goes out easily while trying to do so.

Yes sir, there is definitely a learning curve with this lighter, the most important thing is having enough wick exposed to produce a large flame and keep it full of fuel (requires frequent refueling like priviously stated) to produce a large flame then when lighting your bowl make sure to hold the lighter about an 1/8" above the bowl to allow proper air flow and use long steady draws and don't puff hard it will blow it out, like you said to much of a pain for most people but I like the design and am getting the hang of it (adapt and conquer). It is not a lighter for windy days that's for sure, give it another go with these tips and I think you will have better results. Patience is a virtue :-)
BladeBoy

Postby ScotsJim » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:51 pm

BladeBoy wrote:...like you said to much of a pain for most people but I like the design....

Me too. I love the design :)

BladeBoy wrote:and am getting the hang of it (adapt and conquer).

I'll get back to you on this :lol:

P.S. Once again, greatly appreciate the tips BladeBoy.
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby ChuckMac » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:59 pm

BladeBoy wrote:
ChuckMac wrote:I've got two Nimrods. The Commander, which I like much better than the Zippo and the Sportsman. The Sportsman is the one that looks like a nut on a bolt. It's a real Nimrod not the newer version made by the new company. Lights with no problems, just doesn't hold much fuel and isn't worth a firkin lighting a pipe. Poorly designed. Hard to get the flame down into the tobacco and goes out easily while trying to do so.

Yes sir, there is definitely a learning curve with this lighter, the most important thing is having enough wick exposed to produce a large flame and keep it full of fuel (requires frequent refueling like priviously stated) to produce a large flame then when lighting your bowl make sure to hold the lighter about an 1/8" above the bowl to allow proper air flow and use long steady draws and don't puff hard it will blow it out, like you said to much of a pain for most people but I like the design and am getting the hang of it (adapt and conquer). It is not a lighter for windy days that's for sure, give it another go with these tips and I think you will have better results. Patience is a virtue :-)

I've tried everything you mention for about 25 years and the lighter is still a piece of shit. It works but it has a home in a drawer with other junk lighters. The Nimrod Commander on the other hand is an excellent lighter.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby BladeBoy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 am

I made this quick video to help a guy on U tube who was having trouble getting his working, thought it might be helpful/interesting here too. [url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FLCS3 ... ilpage/url] please let me know if you can't watch the video, I am still learning how to do all this stuff :-)
BladeBoy

Postby ScotsJim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 am

BladeBoy wrote:I made this quick video to help a guy on U tube who was having trouble getting his working, thought it might be helpful/interesting here too. [url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FLCS3 ... ilpage/url] please let me know if you can't watch the video, I am still learning how to do all this stuff :-)

For a first video it was a real good one matey. Thanks to you I can now work my Nimrod lighter :D :D :D

Many thanks.
Jim
ScotsJim

Return to Accessories