Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What is your "go to" tamper?

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Re: What is your "go to" tamper?

Postby Taspiper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Finger... Usually have it with me all the time.
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby Muddler » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 pm

I have a couple of brass/ African hardwood tampers gifted to me by friends. They never leave my desk at home - which is where I do most of my smoking.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Slickheadhunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:57 pm

For me it depends on the pipe smoked! With my Hackert I use my thumb,on the other hand when smoking my 317 Pete I use my pinky! :D

I also use my Rodgers.
Slickheadhunter

Postby SmokinFool » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 pm

KyleWeiss wrote:
SmokinFool wrote:
KyleWeiss wrote:.416 Rigby case? :lol:

Hmm. Seems a bit of overkill to me.

Get it? .416 Rigby - OVERKILL. :lol: I've used empty cases before in a pinch, but now I always have at least one pipe nail with me at all times.

Plus, if I lose one at a bar, it'll give the after-hours cleaning folk something to wonder about.

Yeah, I'll bet it would, at that! Just hope they don't call in a CSI team. Your fingerprints would be all over it. I can see you now, trying to explain that one! :lol:
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby KyleWeiss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:05 am

SmokinFool wrote:[

Yeah, I'll bet it would, at that! Just hope they don't call in a CSI team. Your fingerprints would be all over it. I can see you now, trying to explain that one! :lol:

I'd very matter-of-factly say, "Circumstantial evidence at this point, as I'm pretty sure that as I was pinned to this location by my own admission alone, without any such firearm, Rigby .416 or otherwise, nor discharge of any firearm--as such, none was heard or weapon seen by anyone else in the area, nor, can anyone place me with said firearm, nor have any witnesses or victims been identified or stepped forward with any injuries even assumed in associated with the ballistics or nature of this particular shell casing. Please, swab me for gun powder residue."

That's when I get my smart-ass thrown into a paddy wagon with the cuffs a few clicks too tight. Not...that...that's...ever...happened... :lol: 8-) Mmmmm, jail food.
{
U____ Expecting the truth from the Internet is like expecting gourmet from a mouthful of live wasps.
KyleWeiss

Postby Hammer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 am

Finger or Golf Tee
Depends on my mood :D
To Quote My Drill Instructor "Smoke Em If Ya Got Em"
A friend of Bill W Since 1992
Hammer

Postby Slickheadhunter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:55 am

All this talk of using spent shells as a tamper has me reaching for one of my .450 casings.
Slickheadhunter

Postby KyleWeiss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:26 am

Slickheadhunter wrote:All this talk of using spent shells as a tamper has me reaching for one of my .450 casings.

Not to derail the topic again but... what the HELL do you hunt? :lol:

PS--excellent tamper, .450 8-)
{
U____ Expecting the truth from the Internet is like expecting gourmet from a mouthful of live wasps.
KyleWeiss

Postby Slickheadhunter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:33 pm

KyleWeiss wrote:
Slickheadhunter wrote:All this talk of using spent shells as a tamper has me reaching for one of my .450 casings.

Not to derail the topic again but... what the HELL do you hunt? :lol:

PS--excellent tamper, .450 8-)

The .450Marlin cartridge is a fairly new caliber,its basicly a belted hopped up version of the 45.70(which is very old) and is great for hunting deer in brush country.The bullet is 350 grains and has a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps with 3500ft lbs of energy! But beyond 150 to200 yards it's trajectory suffers. But then again I have never shot a deer beyond 120 yards,and most have been under 50 yards. The need for a flat shooting high velocity cartridge isnt necessary for me.Im also a recoil junky and this one kicks like a mule on cocaine! :lol: :lol:
Slickheadhunter

Postby KyleWeiss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Slickheadhunter wrote:The .450Marlin cartridge is a fairly new caliber,its basicly a belted hopped up version of the 45.70(which is very old) and is great for hunting deer in brush country.The bullet is 350 grains and has a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps with 3500ft lbs of energy! But beyond 150 to200 yards it's trajectory suffers. But then again I have never shot a deer beyond 120 yards,and most have been under 50 yards. The need for a flat shooting high velocity cartridge isnt necessary for me.Im also a recoil junky and this one kicks like a mule on cocaine! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for affirming what I already knew about the cartridge, my question still remains. 8-) Or is it just for... kicks... literally? Expensive kicks, I might add.
{
KyleWeiss

Postby Slickheadhunter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I did say I hunt deer with it,its an excellent deer round! And about the same cost as a good box of 30.06 ammo.
Slickheadhunter

Postby KyleWeiss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Slickheadhunter wrote:I did say I hunt deer with it,its an excellent deer round! And about the same cost as a good box of 30.06 ammo.

Oh, sorry. I saw the deer thing, just not the association with the round. Makin' sure that deer is dead, I see. :lol:

I have a buddy that uses .450 for moose and grizzly in Alaska, he buys them here in Nevada and here, they are NOT 30.06 prices. :lol: He's looking at $1.50 per round, 30.06 being about .75 or less... Maybe it's the brand. *shrug* Of course, in AK, they're three times that. 8)

Anyway, good hunting. 8-)
{
KyleWeiss

Postby Smitty » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Pish... I'm using a spent .338 Lapua case as a tamper right now... J/k but I wish I was. :lol:
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

"It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?"
Smitty

Postby KyleWeiss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, whatever works! The .416 Rigby fits in all of my pipes down to every bowl, even my Washington cob (which is a bit narrow) and the weight of that "brass" is perfect! I wonder if there's a way I could get more of these and shape them into a proper tool, and Etsy.com them for $8 or something... :lol:
{
KyleWeiss

Postby SmokinFool » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:02 am

Slickheadhunter wrote:The .450Marlin cartridge is a fairly new caliber,its basicly a belted hopped up version of the 45.70(which is very old) and is great for hunting deer in brush country.The bullet is 350 grains and has a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps with 3500ft lbs of energy! But beyond 150 to200 yards it's trajectory suffers. But then again I have never shot a deer beyond 120 yards,and most have been under 50 yards. The need for a flat shooting high velocity cartridge isnt necessary for me.Im also a recoil junky and this one kicks like a mule on cocaine! :lol: :lol:

OK, to derail the thread just a bit more:

The .45-70 can be handloaded to almost .458 mag ballistics. I don't handload it (I only load handgun calibers currently), but it can be done. You just need to be careful of the rifle you shoot it in!
Andy

SmokinFool

Postby Slickheadhunter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 pm

SmokinFool wrote:

OK, to derail the thread just a bit more:

The .45-70 can be handloaded to almost .458 mag ballistics. I don't handload it (I only load handgun calibers currently), but it can be done. You just need to be careful of the rifle you shoot it in!

Yes,thats why they developed the new cartridge as a belted version so it could not be used in older rifles not designed to handle the higher pressures the .450 produces.

But modern rifles made today for the 45.70 are designed for use with the hopped up version. Buffalo Bore Ammo is a custom ammo maker that makes some seriously hot loads for just about all the most popular calibers. There 45.70 cartridge is just about identical to the balistics of the .450. I'll quote a line I read one time in a magazine,I cant remember the authors name... "The .450 is a sledgehammer waiting to flatten anything out to 150 yards" The .450 is my favorite round , the browning its chamberd in is my favorite rifle and I've shot a boatload of deer with it.
Slickheadhunter

Postby KyleWeiss » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:24 pm

(...this topic derailed with style by Kyle Weiss... PS, I'm sorry... :( )
{
KyleWeiss

Postby SmokinFool » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:57 am

KyleWeiss wrote:(...this topic derailed with style by Kyle Weiss... PS, I'm sorry... :( )

Oh well, what's a little derailment among friends?! :D
Andy

SmokinFool

Postby KyleWeiss » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:36 am

I have friends here? A w e s o m e !!! :D
{
KyleWeiss

Postby ScotsJim » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

KyleWeiss wrote:I have friends here? A w e s o m e !!! :D

Aye. Most of us are a friendly bunch :)
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

PreviousNext