Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Deniclean

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Deniclean

Postby RompinDonkey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:10 pm

I have just received my new Pete 304 from Greens, and also pipe cleaners - which came with a bottle of Deniclean.

I haven't used the cleaner, but have sniffed it and it isn't alcohol based. It doesn't smell soapy, so I'm not sure what the active ingredient is, or if it works in the slightest.

A couple of days ago (after reading through the thread on here about a drop of the hard stuff on a cleaner), I did use some alcohol on a cleaner to run through my most used stem. A Falcon stem which is many many years old and has never had anything other than a dry cleaner in it. I can't really say that much muck came out. A brownish tinge on the cleaner that was all. Not really any different than a run through with a dry cleaner. I do usually run a cleaner through stems as I am smoking, so maybe I mop up the tars as I go along.

Any of you tried this Deniclean stuff?
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Re: Deniclean

Postby ScotsJim » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 pm

I use it. It does the trick for me. I've never used any alcohol to clean my pipes so to be honest I can't say in comparison if it's as good.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby KyleWeiss » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Deniclean, eh? Is there a Yank equivalent? Never heard of the stuff. *shrug*

I've never owned a Falcon, but maybe your technique combined with the metal leaves it tip-top without much muss.

I do know spirits on a pipe cleaner, especially when left in the stem for a few minutes to "soak," have cleaned more than my fair share of estate briars, and helped thin out the goop after a particularly long session with a dark blend or aromatic.
{
U____ Expecting the truth from the Internet is like expecting gourmet from a mouthful of live wasps.
KyleWeiss

Postby RompinDonkey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:44 am

KyleWeiss wrote:Deniclean, eh? Is there a Yank equivalent? Never heard of the stuff. *shrug*

I've never owned a Falcon, but maybe your technique combined with the metal leaves it tip-top without much muss.

I do know spirits on a pipe cleaner, especially when left in the stem for a few minutes to "soak," have cleaned more than my fair share of estate briars, and helped thin out the goop after a particularly long session with a dark blend or aromatic.

I have absolutely no idea if there is, or is not, a "Yank" equivalent of Deniclean. Thank you for informing us that you have never heard of the stuff.

You really must try a Falcon, they are great pipes.

My technique may well be the reason that I have never needed to use alcohol in the treatment of my stems in the last 38 years. I have also run an alcohol soaked cleaner through my oldest meer stem ( I have used this for c 30 years). Same result - no different to running a dry cleaner through the stem.

I never buy estate briars, and have never tried to clean one up. Maybe alcohol is a required treatment for those pipes.

SO. Back to the question ..... anyone tried this stuff?
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby KyleWeiss » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 am

If I come across a Falcon for cheap, perhaps. I just don't like the way they look. *shrug*

Yeah, some pipes are naaaaaasty when bought estate. The liquor helps. 8) What's good is knowing I don't always have to use spirits for cleaning, unless they're for cleaning my own gullet. 8-)

Sorry, back to your original question. :lol:
{
U____ Expecting the truth from the Internet is like expecting gourmet from a mouthful of live wasps.
KyleWeiss

Postby RompinDonkey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:17 am

KyleWeiss wrote:Yeah, some pipes are naaaaaasty when bought estate. The liquor helps. 8) What's good is knowing I don't always have to use spirits for cleaning, unless they're for cleaning my own gullet. 8-)

Mmm ... *shrug*
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby edlye » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:34 am

Yes, I use it for my regular cleaning. It doesn't really affect the finish on my pipes if I accidentally get it on the finished surface of the briar. I also use it on the inside of the bowl occassionally and don't detect any flavour residue.
edlye

Postby ScotsJim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:28 pm

KyleWeiss wrote:Deniclean, eh? Is there a Yank equivalent? Never heard of the stuff. *shrug*

It's sold here ;

http://www.4noggins.com/cleaningmaintan ... plies.aspx

Like I already said, I use it. It does the trick.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Irminsul » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:36 pm

I use it for the regular cleaning of my pipes and works fine for me. I give it an initial cleaning session and then leave a pipecleaner with some deniclean inside the pipe for a few hours. That really leeches off more crud. Then I give it the final passes. For some of my estate pipes I prefer to use rum instead, after the reaming of course.
"The pipe marks the point at which the orangutan ends and man begins."
-Ben Jonson
Irminsul
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Wez » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm sure Gerry has mentioned using It before, sounds like a decent product.
Wez

"Well, I guess I'll just leave it at that" - OldPipePops
Wez

Postby brim325 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:26 am

Booze for me , Hell i just might get thirsty you know!!!! God forbid I would have to take a swig of Deniclean ewwwwwwwwwwwwww

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
brim325

Return to Accessories