Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Peterson v. Old Boy

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Peterson v. Old Boy

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:51 pm

I have long been an advocate of the Old Boy lighters, and I still am (to an extent) but having been using the Peterson lighter for nearly two weeks now, my views are changing.

The Old Boy has a design fault that I have never seen mentioned on any pipe forum. After about two years of use with my OB, I noticed that the snuffer cap wasn't coming down as flush as it used to. A couple of months later it was coming down even less, and eventually not enough to seal the gas outlet.

I went online to try and find someone that could repair it in the UK. As luck would have it, I found a repair man here in Coventry. I phoned him and asked if he repaired OB lighters, explaining my problem. He immediately replied that this was a common problem, and most OB's will fail eventually. The steel spring plate that brings the snuffer cap arm down, is harder metal than the arm - so eventually, the end of the arm "rounds off" and fails. Anyway, he repaired the lighter with a new arm and spring plate (quite cheaply). After only twelve months, the same thing is starting to happen again. I have decided to retire the lighter, and just keep it on my desk along with some other what I call "show piece" lighters (my gold toledo Don Quixote zippo included).

I bought the new Peterson lighter - which is very much along the lines of the OB, but without the built in tamper. The Pete lighter seems heavier, and all round quality seems better. The spring mechanism that closes the snuffer arm works in a very different way - time will tell if it has the same faults as the OB.

Another huge improvement on the OB is that I have yet to fill the Pete lighter (after two weeks). The tank must be much bigger - presumably because the exclusion of the tamper allows more room.

Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Re: Peterson v. Old Boy

Postby highstump » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Alan, I have noticed the same thing going on with my OB and after a bit over 2 years. Now that I know it's not just my particular lighter I will be retiring mine as well when it gets to be more trouble than its worth. In light of the Peterson not having a built in tamper (the only advantage I saw to the OB anyway) I think I will just stay with my Zippo or a Bic adjustable flame. If I were to lose the Bic somewhere, meh. I'm a bit more careful with the Zippo too, it was the first year A.S.P did the lighter with their logo. :)
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby Smitty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:26 pm

Good to know. I just use a trusty Bic but I have been meaning for ages to get a nice pipe lighter.

That Don Quixote zippo is absolutely beautiful. I've never seen one like it.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 pm

The Peterson will be the last quality gas lighter that I buy. I am hoping that it will last for many years, and not wear out after just three or so years. I must say that it is built like a tank, heavy, and looks pure quality engineering. Quite a bit cheaper than the OB also.

Zippos are great and I use them, but for indoors I don't really want a honking great flame wafting all over the place - I like a small butane flame that I can direct. Bics, or I think they are called Clippers over here, will do if the Pete fails from now on.

Isn't it strange that the OB's never seems to get criticised on the pipe boards, or at least I've never seen one. Maybe the fact that the tank doesn't last for ever gets mentioned. But I have mentioned the design fault in that two different strength metals cause one part to fail, and straight away we have Jim (Highstump) in agreement.
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Smitty wrote:

My wife bought it for me on our honeymoon at the Bay of Roses (Spain). As we walked around the town, I kept looking at it in a shop window every time we passed the shop. After about five days, she said "you like that don't you". I had it next day :)
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby ragefather » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Figured I'd toss this out there; Xikar products come with a lifetime warranty and from what I hear, they pay shipping. Luckily I haven't had a problem with anything Xikar yet.

That's something you would hope the manufacturer of Old Boy would do since it sounds like a design flaw.
ragefather

Postby Dodger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:27 pm

The reason I still use butane IMCOs is the cost of a decent pipe lighter ,for that amount you can get a good new pipe or if buying estates at least two .Although recently I have been thinking about buying one ,so am looking forward to your review .
Dodger
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Smitty » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:27 am

RompinDonkey wrote:
Smitty wrote:

My wife bought it for me on our honeymoon at the Bay of Roses (Spain). As we walked around the town, I kept looking at it in a shop window every time we passed the shop. After about five days, she said "you like that don't you". I had it next day :)

You got a keeper for sure. ;)
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby stormwulf133 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 am

ragefather wrote:Figured I'd toss this out there; Xikar products come with a lifetime warranty and from what I hear, they pay shipping. Luckily I haven't had a problem with anything Xikar yet.

That's something you would hope the manufacturer of Old Boy would do since it sounds like a design flaw.

I vouch for Xikar on this one. They have been super stand up guys. Fixed things for me that werent even their fault. I will never buy another brand of lighter.
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Postby Falconeer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 am

A very useful heads up from Alan on this one - me I think I will just stick with my Zippo - used them since the early 70s and I have never managed to break one yet - mind you I have lost a few over the years!!

Best to all - been off air for a bit - Rhona tripped a fortnight ago and broke her ankle - she´s done a right job of it - operated on in Marbella Hospital - two pins and a plate in and still on crutches and in a wheelchair but doing well and no infection.

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Taspiper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:37 am

Hope Rhona gets well soon Gerry.

I've gone off lighters lately and have gone back to matches, they just work.
Cheers Rolf

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein

http://www.acmeengineering.com.au
http://www.rolfhey.com
http://www.piquredabeille.com
Rolfhey@acmeengineering.com.au
Taspiper

Postby Dodger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Taspiper wrote:Hope Rhona gets well soon Gerry.

I've gone off lighters lately and have gone back to matches, they just work.

Not the quality we get now in the UK, at least a third of them fail due to not lighting or the head breaks off ,but I always keep a box for emergencies
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Condoranian » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:30 am

I am glad this topic has come up. I have been eyeballing these new Peterson pipe lighters for a while at my local tobacconist.I did'nt know whether or not to take the plunge and purchase one. I have an 'Old Boy' but I like the fact these are made by Peterson. Can anyone confirm where these are manufactured? They look elegant and I hope the build quality is good. I just wondered whether they may be rebranded Coronas.

Dave
"If there was a Temple of Condor I would be a dedicated worshipper of it "
Condoranian

Postby RompinDonkey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

I don't know who makes the Pete lighter, but I think that the build quality is sturdier. I still haven't had to fill it yet .....
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby RobS » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the information Alan. My Old Boy gave up the ghost (as you describe) at least a year ago and is now completely unusable. I had considered a Peterson as a replacement, but was awaiting a detailed review such as yours, so I shall now go ahead and purchase. 8-)
RobS

Postby ChuckMac » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:43 pm

RobS wrote:Thanks for the information Alan. My Old Boy gave up the ghost (as you describe) at least a year ago and is now completely unusable. I had considered a Peterson as a replacement, but was awaiting a detailed review such as yours, so I shall now go ahead and purchase. 8-)

Rob, the OldBoys have a lifetime warranty. Doesn't cost much to send them in but if I remember correctly you have to pay postage both ways.
I may be wrong on that tho.

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
ChuckMac

Postby RompinDonkey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:40 pm

I will post on here when I do eventually have to refill the lighter. It's been going a heck of a long time now.

The thing is, I don't sit with my pipe, do a char light and then maybe two or three relights. I put my pipe down when it goes out, and also when it hasn't gone out - I might be doing things. So this lighter gets a lot of use.

Maybe the factory can get a load more gas in the tank than we can with our butane cans ....

Rob, as you see from my pic, I bought the chrome finish lighter. There are some other really WOW finishes though :)
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby calipuffer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 pm

It is possible to overfill a lighter. Being the scientist type that I am, I found that a pre and post weigh of my lighter showed I was not getting the "spec" amount of gas within the lighter. So I did what you all would do, freeze the lighter and wrap the fill can with a hot towel. Of course this worked great, I was able to fill my lighter to about 135% capacity. Of course that resulted in liquid butane getting released from the nozzle of the lighter. So now I only freeze the lighter and give the fill can a good hearty shake. That gets me to about 95% capacity. Your mileage may vary.
calipuffer

Postby Dodger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:15 pm

Dodger wrote:The reason I still use butane IMCOs is the cost of a decent pipe lighter ,for that amount you can get a good new pipe or if buying estates at least two .Although recently I have been thinking about buying one ,so am looking forward to your review .
Dodger

I should not have said anything ,IMCOs are stopping production ,so I am going to await your review even more eagerly.
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 pm

I just thought that I would do a quick update as I have now been using the Peterson lighter for a while.

The gas tank is brilliant and one fill lasts a looong time. I haven't kept notes or anything, but it is just obvious that one fill last such a long time.

No signs of wear on the snuffer arm. So, all is looking good.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Next

Return to Accessories