Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Peterson v. Old Boy

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Re: Peterson v. Old Boy

Postby Dodger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Damn it Alan,it is now something else I have to save for :D
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby kats » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Throw the Xikar Pipeline into the mix. Performs well for me. Same style, less expensive than "Old - Pete". I had trouble with mine not lighting consistently, and the thumb wheel not rolling smoothly. I stuffed it into a bubble wrap envelope, mailed it back to them - they sent me a NEW one - no charge, no questions, no hassle. I love that!
http://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/pipeline/

I risk taking this thread sideways... but they also have a lot going on politically that I can stand behind. It feels good to give some business/$$ to someone with values I can support. This little piece of writing was in the e-mail newsletter they send out occasionally.....

Kurt's Corner
Sacrifice and Freedom: Independence Day Message

Several reporters have suggested to me that entrepreneurs are risk takers. In my experience and observation, I must disagree. Entrepreneurs are risk assessors, not risk takers. We are very good at assessing whether the potential reward of a decision outweighs the risk inherent in it. In order to achieve this, the "risk taker" must have a sober and thorough understanding of the risk - and be willing to accept that as a potential outcome. Thus, I say to start a business from scratch, you don't have to give everything up; you have to be ready and willing to do so.

Sacrifice
"Giving everything up" is better stated as sacrifice. Sacrifice requires faith that the outcome is worth the "risk". In fact, only in faith that our choice is good, can sacrifice happen (unwilling sacrifice is called "loss" which carries the burden of regret). Sacrifice frees us from those bonds.

American Exceptionalism
I believe that sacrifice is part of the American ethos. When we speak of our "rugged individualism" I envision the sacrifices made to achieve a greater good - in most cases freedom (either individual or collective). Our Founding Fathers risked their lives in signing the Declaration of Independence, a document of treason against the king of England. The civil war was fought over freedom - racial and economic. World Wars I and II were fought for freedom over totalitarianism. In fact, throughout our history, we Americans have been willing to make this ultimate sacrifice, at home and abroad. This makes us exceptional.

In man's history, no other nation has been as willing as ours to make individual and collective sacrifices, and that willingness continues. Just last week I had the honor of meeting Nikki Altmann, widow of SSG Joseph Altmann, who was killed in Afghanistan on Christmas Day 2011 just weeks after reenlisting. Nikki and her friends (and XIKAR fans) Todd and Jill Pistor approached me in Cleveland airport to say hello. They were on their way to the New Hamphsire NASCAR race on July 15th to witness Kurt Busch driving with Joseph Altmann's name on the side of his car. This was made possible by the Armed Forces Foundation. The AFF provides healing for families who have lost loved ones due to military service, as well as helping wounded warriors with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder including events such as bringing troops to the NASCAR track. If you wish to get involved and help out families like Nikki, please donate to AFF.

Our Changing Culture
In the past three and a half years, much has been discussed about the end of American exceptionalism, as if this is a worthy goal - to become equal citizens of the world. Yet I believe this is a cultural decline, for the loss of our exceptional nature is the loss of our freedom, and the hope it represents to the world.

I see evidence of this decline in small and large choices we make. Individuals, companies and our government are now burdened with insurmountable debt for our unwillingness to sacrifice today's reward for tomorrow's freedom. Entitlement creates debts which limit freedom.

Examples of moral decay abound. Perhaps the most visible is the recent Sandusky affair at Penn State, where none involved was willing to risk his job or the university reputation to protect those children from a known predator. The tragedy is in the crime. But sad additional damage to our society will result from new laws and regulations written to substitute where men and women fail to take a risk for what we all know to be right, to protect those children, and each others' freedom.

This new form of equality leads us to a national character that will lose its willingness to sacrifice or risk anything. "Those willing to give up their freedom for security deserve neither and will lose both." Heed Ben Franklin's warning, and understand his indictment. We have a responsibility to ourselves and one another to take a risk and make a sacrifice. Men and women of honor must be ready to sacrifice material possession for the thing that most matters: freedom. The outcome is worth the risk!

Kurt Van Keppel
President & Founder
XIKAR, Inc.
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby stormwulf133 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 pm

yep, also gonna chime in for Xikar. They stand behind their products. Period. No hassle. They have always been a pleasure to talk to. Wonderful company, and actually a local company for me.
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Postby RompinDonkey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:16 am

I did consider buying the Xikar lighter - but I saw some really bad reviews. I spotted a pattern. The lighters aren't reliable - but the customer service is great. One guy wasn't so impressed when his lighter went back three times. It turned out that Xikar had owned his lighter longer than he had .....
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby ragefather » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:28 am

RompinDonkey wrote:I did consider buying the Xikar lighter - but I saw some really bad reviews. I spotted a pattern. The lighters aren't reliable - but the customer service is great. One guy wasn't so impressed when his lighter went back three times. It turned out that Xikar had owned his lighter longer than he had .....

That hasn't been my experience with Xikar so far. I've had 2 lighters that have been great, no problems, and a cigar cutter I've had for about 5 years. YMMV.
ragefather

Postby stormwulf133 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:26 am

i agree, not my experience. i sent my pipeline back just because i didnt like how the flame adjustment was and had them crank it higher internally. it hasnt failed me yet, and nor have my exec, exec 2 and plunge. If it fails, they will replace it. They had mine back in less than a week, and like i said that was my option to change it. I also asked them to change the outer casing, since the ebay seller i bought mine from sent me the wrong one. They changed it with no problem. I support them whole heartedly.
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 am

calipuffer wrote: It is possible to overfill a lighter. Being the scientist type that I am, I found that a pre and post weigh of my lighter showed I was not getting the "spec" amount of gas within the lighter. So I did what you all would do, freeze the lighter and wrap the fill can with a hot towel. Of course this worked great, I was able to fill my lighter to about 135% capacity. Of course that resulted in liquid butane getting released from the nozzle of the lighter. So now I only freeze the lighter and give the fill can a good hearty shake. That gets me to about 95% capacity. Your mileage may vary.

Very interesting. I will definitely give this a try.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Condoranian » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Purchased a Peterson pipe lighter, only had it for 2 mths hardly used it and already the retaining screw on the snuffer arm is backing out. Well it looks like back to the trusty old Zippo for time being. We will see how Peterson's after sales service is like. I think Peterson should stick to making pipes, disappointed on this purchase! Any of you guys had problems?

Dave
"If there was a Temple of Condor I would be a dedicated worshipper of it "
Condoranian

Postby highstump » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Since I retired my Old Boy it's been Bic, Zippo, or Diamond for my pipes. One more break down and I'm just going to carry a flint, steel, and a little tinder with me. ;)
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby Dodger » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:11 pm

highstump wrote:Since I retired my Old Boy it's been Bic, Zippo, or Diamond for my pipes. One more break down and I'm just going to carry a flint, steel, and a little tinder with me. ;)

If open fires were still around I would be happy with a spill of paper . :D
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby highstump » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Dodger wrote:
highstump wrote:Since I retired my Old Boy it's been Bic, Zippo, or Diamond for my pipes. One more break down and I'm just going to carry a flint, steel, and a little tinder with me. ;)

If open fires were still around I would be happy with a spill of paper . :D

Isn't that just the way. Never an open fire around when you really need one!
Jim

highstump

Postby kats » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:31 pm

highstump wrote:...an open fire around when you really need one!
we're quickly approaching grass seed field burning season here in Western Oregon.
Image get your pipes pre-loaded and ready for the beginning of the season. :mrgreen:
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby Dodger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:04 pm

kats wrote:
highstump wrote:...an open fire around when you really need one!
we're quickly approaching grass seed field burning season here in Western Oregon.
Image get your pipes pre-loaded and ready for the beginning of the season. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is sick .Funny but sick.
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby highstump » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 pm

My favorite time of year George, I far fewer complaints about my pipe.
Jim

highstump

Postby RompinDonkey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Nine months on now and the lighter still works every time. No signs of wear anywhere, and still getting loads of lights from one fill.
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby ragefather » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:10 pm

ragefather wrote:
RompinDonkey wrote:I did consider buying the Xikar lighter - but I saw some really bad reviews. I spotted a pattern. The lighters aren't reliable - but the customer service is great. One guy wasn't so impressed when his lighter went back three times. It turned out that Xikar had owned his lighter longer than he had .....

That hasn't been my experience with Xikar so far. I've had 2 lighters that have been great, no problems, and a cigar cutter I've had for about 5 years. YMMV.

To follow up on this, I was having problems with my Xikar for months. It took 5 strikes or more to get it lit. I checked the flint and it was very low so I replaced it. I was still having the problem so I started using another lighter. Finally I decided to take action and send it back to Xikar. But right before I did, I tried a different flint (presumably a different brand) and now it is working just as it was. Lights on the first strike every time. I unfortunately do not know the brand of flints, as I pulled them out of the spare compartment of other lighters I have. Anyone have a specific brand they use with the Xikars?
ragefather

Postby lebiffo » Mon May 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Alan, I know I'm resurrecting an old post but I've just read it :) . As the proud owner of an 'old boy' I've examined my lighter and can see what you mean about the potential for wear between the snuffer arm and the return spring. My solution is to put a slither of grease between the two to prevent harsh rubbing. I've done this and will keep it under review but the action seems appreciably smoother as a result. I may be being too optimistic but perhaps this is all that is required from time to time.
Cheers,
Roger.
lebiffo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 pm

As long as we are digging up dead threads, I'll add that I picked up a Pete lighter in November and it's been great. The only drama was when it suddenly quit doing anything which was of course because the original flint had been worn to nothing.

I wipe the lighting area and nozzle down with some plain old zippo lighter fluid on a swab every few weeks just to get the residue off and am surprised that I have not lost the damn thing. You are either willing to pay $100 for a lighter or you're not and, if you are, this is a good choice from what I know thus far.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 5:39 pm

lebiffo wrote:Alan, I know I'm resurrecting an old post but I've just read it :) . As the proud owner of an 'old boy' I've examined my lighter and can see what you mean about the potential for wear between the snuffer arm and the return spring. My solution is to put a slither of grease between the two to prevent harsh rubbing. I've done this and will keep it under review but the action seems appreciably smoother as a result. I may be being too optimistic but perhaps this is all that is required from time to time.

Good idea Roger. I retired my Old Boy early as I could see signs of wear shortly after having the repair done. I will get it out and try it myself. The OBs are good lighters, apart from that defect.

The Pete lighter is still going strong - no problems at all.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby lebiffo » Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:The Pete lighter is still going strong - no problems at all.

Yes Alan you've got me tempted on buying a Pete. I like the absence of a tamper giving extra room for the gas tank, I never use the tamper on the OB anyway, except to unscrew the fill cover or adjust the flame.
Cheers,
Roger.
lebiffo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories