Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Peterson v. Old Boy

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Re: Peterson v. Old Boy

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 pm

lebiffo wrote:
RompinDonkey wrote:The Pete lighter is still going strong - no problems at all.

Yes Alan you've got me tempted on buying a Pete. I like the absence of a tamper giving extra room for the gas tank, I never use the tamper on the OB anyway, except to unscrew the fill cover or adjust the flame.

I never used the tamper on my OB either. Funny how a "selling point" makes you buy, then you don't use it. I just cannot praise this Pete lighter enough. Faultless service.

I did, a few days ago, dip a cotton bud in some meths and gave the flame parts and the wheel a clean. They had got the usual dirty brown type dust on them. But all lighters do that.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby Irminsul » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 pm

I've had my OB for just about two years now and no problems yet with the arm (knock on wood), but a few months ago I also purchased a Peterson after I read some of the positive reviews, particularly vis a vis the OB. I use both now and have noticed that the flame in the Pete is better and the fuel reservoir is more capacious than the OB's.
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm

This thread wasn't started to "knock" the OB lighters. I had had mine for a few years, and if anyone had asked me what I thought about it, I would have said "Expensive lighter, but worth every penny"

What "sealed" it for me was when the repair man on the phone knew exactly the problem, and said that they all fail like this eventually. Any engineer will tell you that if you have one stronger metal rubbing against a weaker metal - the weaker metal will fail. In this case the "square" end of the snuffer arm will get "rounded" off by the stronger metal of the spring.

I have a little knowledge of trumpet design - and especially the valves. There have been some very good trumpets on our markets here from Asia. The one thing that they didn't recognise was this exact problem. You cannot put stainless steel against brass - something will give, and always will do. The valves on the Asian trumpets failed.

The Asian makers now have solved that problem.
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby gnossos » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm

For the price, I think I'd go with Old Boy since they have the lifetime warranty.

I have a Mastro de Paja that is "old boy" style but some of the parts are juuuuust a bit different. It started leaking, and I'm SOL. No one has the parts any more.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 10:35 pm

That's fine Gnoss - but depending on the amount of use that your OB gets - it will need a new arm and spring clip regularly. Even with a local guy here that had alll of the parts - I retired mine.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby gnossos » Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 pm

Yeah I definitely get it. That sounds like a real pain. I'd just hate to spend that kind of money on something that might not be repairable in potentially the near future... I mean, Mastro de Paja is still around, you'd think I could get it fixed! I wonder if there's a way to contact them direct, I did like it...

I guess if it never breaks, there's nothing to worry about, though!
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HCraven » Fri May 10, 2013 3:33 am

Sorry to hear of the problems with the Old Boy, Alan, but I've been using mine for over 10 years, and notice no rounding of the arm. Works as well as it did the day I bought it. Perhaps this is a more common thing in OB's of a more recent vintage. Glad the Pete is working well for you, though.

By the way, I rarely ever use the tamper on my Old Boy.
Herb
HCraven

Postby gnossos » Fri May 10, 2013 5:01 pm

I actually won an OB on ebay for low money just now... now that's the way to go! I can see that the arm is a bit off like Alan says they get, but I figure I can just send it out if need be.

The countdown to losing it in my couch begins, should we set up a pool?
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Frizz » Sat May 11, 2013 12:12 am

I've always liked the look of the OB, but I've not yet been dissuaded from my Zippo's efficacy. :mrgreen:

And with that I have exceeded my vocab quoto for the week... :lol:
-Chris
Frizz

Postby gnossos » Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 pm

Guess what just arrived from eBay and isn't working :P

It holds fuel, it sparks, but it seems no gas comes out so it won't light. And, as Alan noted, the arm is a askew (this was a used one).

Thought I'd follow up just to eat some crow ;)
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Mon May 27, 2013 11:26 pm

Just ordered one from Greens ,mainly since Imco are now becoming scarce and the fact they had only 1 x 250g box of FVF in stock .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Fri May 31, 2013 8:05 pm

It arrived ,but due to postal restrictions empty .So first task was to fill it with my Clipper refill ,result gas everywhere but in the lighter ,despite several attempts .At this point I was starting to lose my temper and about to fire off an angry e-mail to Greens ,when a small voice in the back of my mind said maybe the fitting is different .No joy .An examination of the nozzle of the refill showed a slight thickening compared with another makers nearly empty can .So I tried that one .

Result a working lighter :D

Since the only tobacconist in Bristol only stocks Clipper refills I am going to have to go into every shop and supermarket to find the alternative to Clipper :roll:
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Fri May 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Could you order some gas online Dodger ? Or are there health and safety rules about posting gas via the royal mail ? Buggered if I know :?

Come to think of it....there probably is.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Dodger » Fri May 31, 2013 9:56 pm

ScotsJim wrote:Could you order some gas online Dodger ? Or are there health and safety rules about posting gas via the royal mail ? Buggered if I know :?

I could probably get some Jim ,but it would be about ten years supply and of course the H&S would not be happy as i have nowhere to store it safely :roll:
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Dodger wrote:
ScotsJim wrote:Could you order some gas online Dodger ? Or are there health and safety rules about posting gas via the royal mail ? Buggered if I know :?

I could probably get some Jim ,but it would be about ten years supply and of course the H&S would not be happy as i have nowhere to store it safely :roll:

Might I suggest you store it in the fireplace during the summer months when you don't use the fire ? That idea appeals to my sense of the absurd. And just think of what a talking point it would be when you had visitors. Help break the ice at parties too.

Hope this helps.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby RompinDonkey » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:49 am

To fill my Pete lighter I remove the bottom plate. It then fills easily.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby Dodger » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 am

RompinDonkey wrote:To fill my Pete lighter I remove the bottom plate. It then fills easily.

Thanks Alan , although I am a mechanical moron I managed to think of that , but the trouble is no screwdriver :lol: and I did not want to bodge anything up .

By the way the lighter itself is fantastic ,and except for operator error works every time .
If the Oldboy is better I envy anyone who has one ,
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:28 pm

I can't understand why it should be necessary to remove the base plate. I had put it down to the fact that I use the cheapest butane that I can get (from one of these Pound Shops) - I assumed that the nozzle was not standard. Strange.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby Dodger » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:
Another huge improvement on the OB is that I have yet to fill the Pete lighter (after two weeks). The tank must be much bigger - presumably because the exclusion of the tamper allows more room.

I must smoke a lot more than you Alan ,my first real fill only lasted a week .To be fair I do smoke mostly flakes and 50% of those are Sam Gawiths which take a lot of lights sometimes .Still it is a pleasure to use .

London brand butane works ,but Clipper does not .I have not had a chance to look for another brand as I was watching Gloucester at the County ground ,a draw but at least we got some batting points :D
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby gnossos » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 am

I got a can of Xikar fluid for my Old Boy once it came back from being fixed. I like it, but it is definitely not much of an outside lighter. I suspect I will continue using Bics most of the time, though I have a couple of cheap refillables that work in the wind as well.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories