Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Peterson v. Old Boy

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Re: Peterson v. Old Boy

Postby RompinDonkey » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Dodger wrote:I must smoke a lot more than you Alan ,my first real fill only lasted a week .To be fair I do smoke mostly flakes and 50% of those are Sam Gawiths which take a lot of lights sometimes .Still it is a pleasure to use .

Mine still seems to be holding up for a couple of weeks. My regular pattern is to put about 50g of bacca in a leather pouch, which I smoke for most of the time over a couple of weeks. In between, I will smoke blends from various glass jars on hand. Probably about ten blends at any time.

If I spent a week on plugs, twists or smoking flakes without fully rubbing out, then I think a week for a fill would be about right.

gnossos wrote:I got a can of Xikar fluid for my Old Boy once it came back from being fixed. I like it, but it is definitely not much of an outside lighter. I suspect I will continue using Bics most of the time, though I have a couple of cheap refillables that work in the wind as well.

I agree Gnoss - these style lighters will struggle in any wind at all. They are indoor lighters really.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:
I agree Gnoss - these style lighters will struggle in any wind at all. They are indoor lighters really.

yup, my experience with the Pete as well. Outdoors is where a zippo will really shine- as windproof as you will find and practically indestructible, but they definitely do not float. :o
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Wez » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 pm

I may well get myself one of the petersons.

I use a zippo most of the time and matches indoors but this lighter would fit in nicely.

Pardon my ignorance but Can you put zippo fluid in it? Just with having a zippo I have fuel at the ready.
Wez

"Well, I guess I'll just leave it at that" - OldPipePops
Wez

Postby Dodger » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Only gas Wez .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Yes, only gas, but just for the record, Zippo does make butane lighters (BLU2) and fuel-

i use the fuel in my Pete, works the same as any other.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm

My Peterson lighter is still performing like a trooper. No signs of wear at all on the "suspect" parts.
Alan

Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby Wez » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Hmmm, I'm more than tempted, I quite like the look of them as well as having an indoor lighter .

Sounds like they are hard wearing too..
Wez

"Well, I guess I'll just leave it at that" - OldPipePops
Wez

Postby RompinDonkey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Wez wrote:Hmmm, I'm more than tempted, I quite like the look of them as well as having an indoor lighter .

Sounds like they are hard wearing too..

My Pete lighter is often used outdoors. It probably wouldn't work in a gale, but it works ok in most situations. If I am off hiking i either use a half size Zippo, or a Clipper.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Postby gnossos » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:59 pm

I think I mentioned this already, but I lost my Old Boy somewhere in my apartment about a week after getting it and still can't find it.

I knew it was silly of me to get one! Should have listened to myself.

Good news is, so long as it's lost it isn't getting worn out. I wouldn't mind finding it to sell it again though.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby SteveH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm

I've got a Peterson. I've never had an Old Boy. I didn't know OBs had a built-in tamper, but wouldn't want one anyway, because I've got a perfectly good pipe tool, and if, as suggested, the tamper reduces the size of the OB fuel tank, it's daft. Certainly, my Pete lighter takes a lot of fuel, and keeps going for ages. It also looks good, and is a lot cheaper than an OB ! (Though not cheap - £50 or so.)
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Having raised the issue of lighters elsewhere, though I am definitely not the first to do so, I bought a Peterson. Cheaper than an Old Boy without a doubt and, likewise, the tank goes a long way before refuelling. The Old Boy looks good but is just too expensive for me, though if its reputation is anything to go by, the outlay would be recouped over time.
Happy with the Peterson at the moment.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm

Geo3rge wrote:Having raised the issue of lighters elsewhere, though I am definitely not the first to do so, I bought a Peterson. Cheaper than an Old Boy without a doubt and, likewise, the tank goes a long way before refuelling. The Old Boy looks good but is just too expensive for me, though if its reputation is anything to go by, the outlay would be recouped over time.
Happy with the Peterson at the moment.
G.

Something sounds odd here, there is very little price difference between Peterson and Old Boy on this side of the world- $100 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107312) vs. $109 (http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2882). Are we somehow talking about different things?
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:12 pm

My Peterson cost around £50.00 or thereabouts. The cheapest price I've been able to find in my (no doubt, limited) search for an Old Boy was around £100 plus. If anyone knows in the UK of a cheaper OB it would be handy to know. Most sites I've searched don't have it at all, so might it be a predominantly US market? If I'm wrong here, my apologies. It's just that I have not been able to find it except in the Danish Pipe Shop for around £120 and in Carey's, where it retails at over £140. I have not as yet searched US sites.
G.
Geo3rge

Postby SteveH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 pm

Geo3rge wrote:My Peterson cost around £50.00 or thereabouts. The cheapest price I've been able to find in my (no doubt, limited) search for an Old Boy was around £100 plus. If anyone knows in the UK of a cheaper OB it would be handy to know. Most sites I've searched don't have it at all, so might it be a predominantly US market? If I'm wrong here, my apologies. It's just that I have not been able to find it except in the Danish Pipe Shop for around £120 and in Carey's, where it retails at over £140. I have not as yet searched US sites.
G.

I haven't done a great deal of shopping around, but yes, on the internet sites I've looked at, those were typical prices: Pete c.£50, OB well to the north of £100.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby rbw65 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:59 am

That technique of freezing the lighter & heating can of butane up is dangerous not to mention bad on the lighter. Use xikar fuel.
Keep Em lit.....if you have a lighter..that works!
rbw65

Postby rbw65 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:02 pm

[quote="ratatosk"]Yes, only gas, but just for the record, Zippo does make butane lighters (BLU2) and fuel-
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31w3ubLdCQL._SY450_.jpg[/img]

i use the fuel in my Pete, works the same as any other.[/quote]

But is it a clean fuel, how many times is it filtered for impurities? You have to use the best types of fuel in a Peterson or Old Boy. Like Xikar or Colibri fuel, filtered 4 times or more.
Keep Em lit.....if you have a lighter..that works!
rbw65

Postby 4nogginsmike » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

I had an OB and had the same problem with it that the OP had. Given the poor qualities of matches that are available (Diamond), even the environmentally better green tips, I'm thinking of going back to a lighter. Another thing about lighters that I didn't like was the constant need for refills, which the Peterson doesn't appear to have. That's a plus.

Then what about a cigar lighter. Had one of those, too, a torch, and even after smoking only two cigars it needed to be refilled. But last time I looked at these lighters, recommended lighters could be had for under $20.00; that's a plus.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Update after what, two and a half years? - the lighter is still going strong. No problems at all.
Alan

RompinDonkey

Re: Peterson v. Old Boy lighter

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:03 pm

No problems with my Peterson either. Sparks up well and takes a good while before refuelling, usually over a week at least. I've also been using matches (written about this elsewhere - the smell of some of them turns me quite nauseous) and I've discovered a brand from the Danish Pipe Shop, in a most attractive box, which has a minimal smell when struck and I'm getting used to them. The match does seem to give a smoother and more even light, I feel. I've also recently seen an OB much cheaper than anywhere else I've looked, in a UK site known as My Smoking Shop (Preston, NW England) so, if the Peterson gives out or I want another lighter, I'll try that. Happy smoking all.
G.
Geo3rge

Postby wschamp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:45 am

Hi. I have 3 OBs, one is over 30 years old, the so-called design flaw that you stated even on the old model its not an issue(the older model I have is made of a softer alloy not brass like the current model as well that has been dropped many times and abused but still works great ). I used to think this could be an issue some day but now looking at the area in question on the older model and it shows very little wear. The problem could be with the spring in the cap or dirt /grit below the burner valve on grommet in cap hinge or the grommet itself. I remember the old one didnt close as tight as I liked when I got it so I put a drop of tuf glide on the hinge and it eventually start closing smoother and flush every time. The most recent model i have by Room 101 feels and sounds like harder metal then the briar model that is a bit older.
I wanted to get a Peterson but didnt like the models they had and I can't find any warranty info even on their website. Another hangup for me is the cheapest way to get one is to order it from England and pay a hefty tax. Some seller advertise this lighter as being made in Ireland. But I dont think Peterson actually makes lighters anymore. Tsubota? It looks like the top and bottom piece are just pressed metal which could flex and bend. Also looks like it has no outside casing or liner, if so I would not buy the model with the lines as I have seen models like this spit and crack between lines when dropped. If this lighter hold more fuel then why would they not tout that, both Peterson's and Tsubota websites are BS, no where has someone specifically stated the capacity of this lighter...or warranty..? IM lists the capacity of every lighter on their website, and this is one area that most people believe the OB wins..hmm. To me the Peterson/Tsubota looks a bit cheaper(and is priced as such), if you where to just compare websites, IM looks like a company obsessed with quality. Plus you can get them fixed for $9 or cap replaced if needed for $13 from their distributor here in US, regardless of warranty. I dont know many companies like that. Peterson and Tsubota just look like they are selling stuff.
Plus the premium options that Corona offers just set it off for me.
wschamp

PreviousNext

Return to Accessories