Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Rubber mouthpiece (Softy Bit)

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Re: Rubber mouthpiece (Softy Bit)

Postby KevLa » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Bri2k wrote:...The only downside except for appearance is that they leave a line on the stem when you remove them after they've been on for a while...

I find a little sebum (ie. natural grease) from the side of my nose works wonders in removing such marks. It is the only polish I ever need for my pipes :D
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby butterspread » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:10 pm

I really like the search facility. Saves me asking questions which have already been answered. And I was about to seek advice on these mouthpieces. It seems that members are divided evenly between the "with" and "without" options. This tells me that I will have to try it out for myself and see which way I will go.

Back in my smoking times (just to remind you - these will restart on Monday) I remember holding the pipe in my hand between the puffs so it may well be that for straight models I will not use them but will probably fit them to bent ones which will be more likely to stay in my mouth.

Oh, the joys of speculating before actually trying it!

In any case - these are cheap items so buying them will not ruin me :)
butterspread

Postby acaciavet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Its Like a car seat whay would I want to save the looks for another owner
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby aquaholic » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:16 pm

acaciavet wrote:Its Like a car seat whay would I want to save the looks for another owner

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But sheepskin covers are so comfortable Chuck!!!
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:27 pm

aquaholic wrote:
acaciavet wrote:Its Like a car seat whay would I want to save the looks for another owner

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But sheepskin covers are so comfortable Chuck!!!

Isaac your welcome for the slow pitch you knocked that one out of the Park old boy : lol:
Maybe sheep skin stem protectors with the reservoir end are on the drawing board : lol:
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby 4nogginsmike » Tue May 20, 2014 12:03 pm

I didn't use to harm bits with my teeth but do now; I've put softies on all my 25 pipes and have gotten to the point that I not only don't hate them but in fact love them. They make clenching easier for me.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby KevLa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:35 am

For those who enjoy corn cob pipes but, like me, can't justify the price of replacement stems, the rubber mouthpiece is a cheap, interchangeable alternative ;)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby TigerJack » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:36 am

I really don't like the extra thickness they add to a stem, but with that said I do have 2 pipes with extra thin stems that I use them on as I am afraid that they may be so thin as to be damaged without the soft bit added . G'Day Sir.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby TigerJack » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:44 am

KevLa wrote:For those who enjoy corn cob pipes but, like me, can't justify the price of replacement stems, the rubber mouthpiece is a cheap, interchangeable alternative ;)

Kevin , Here replacement bits for regular cobs bent or straight are only 50 cent each + shipping of course, so if you need some, I am sure there could be a exchange made with me or anyone you like here at the forum , you could either buy them and pay whatever shipping there is or you could swap someone a bit of tobacco for half a dozen to a dozen or how ever many you wanted.There may still be more cost than you want to invest , I just figured if you swap for at least a dozen you should be set & not have to worry about cob bits for quiet some time. G'Day Sir.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:56 am

I've found some recent rubber bits just not worth the price I've paid. I ordered a small bulk bag of them from a UK dealer and found that they bite through in no time at all, so that I can feel the mouthpiece underneath and the bits themselves tear very easily. As I don't believe my teeth are that sharp, I can only put it down to the inferior, in my opinion, material that the bits are made of. I won't be ordering any more of this particular bit brand.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Accessories