Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Lighter vs. Matches

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Lighter vs. Matches

Postby 4nogginsmike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:16 pm

I've used matches almost exclusively for pipes for a number of years. The problem with the "Diamond" matches sold at most places in the US is that they are cheap. The heads fall off in the course of the light 60% of the time. Sometimes that lit head stays in the bowl. When I notice this I try to get it out, but in the end even if it can't be located, which for me is 70% of the time, it doesn't affect taste.

What bothers me is the number of times the head comes off and lands on my hand, which even if I shake it off quickly, subtracts from those times when I don't, and I get burned. Complaints to the manufacturer are likely to be ignored. Although lighters are expensive and troublesome, at least I would not be burned. I've had an Old Boy and various torches for cigars in the past and feel myself caving for returning to them.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Re: Lighter vs. Matches

Postby William » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 pm

I had my time with matches but it didn't last long. Welcome to the dark side Mike. :D
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:05 pm

I prefer butane lighters, with a Zippo for windy days and matches for back up .
I must admit though , with the exception of Sam Gawith flakes ,it is usually quicker with a match or two . :roll:
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ratatosk » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:18 pm

I mostly prefer lighters, but do use matches at home a lot. I am a little surprised to hear that your experience with Diamond matches has been so awful, they seem to have improved a lot with the green head (vs. red head) ones came out. Prior to that, yes, they were horrible.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby vaburp » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Like everything else, the quality decreases.
After burning a few holes in my shirts from match head disintegration I've stuck to my old boy.
vaburp

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:12 am

I've mentioned this before somewhere, but, strangely, I become quite nauseous when using matches, something about the smell and even the look causes me to feel quite sick. I cannot explain it. When people strike a match in a room, even for lighting a candle, my stomach turns a bit funny. I always use a lighter if I can! Not sure how I would cope if all my lighters suddenly broke and I also ran out of lighter fuel (not that it would matter by then anyway!) so the match would have to suffice. Maybe I need some sort of help with this...in the meantime, my Zippo and Peterson will do nicely.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby aquaholic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:11 am

I use matches 95% of the time for the initial light, I feel I get the best light this way. Then on to the zippo for relights. It's definitely a PITA to get it going with the zippo
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Piperman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Zippo and nothing else.
Igor Image - Pipe Dreamer
Piperman
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 pm

I use matches if I am smoking under hatches.Underway in the car i use a Bic. Those nights on the weather decks i use the Zippo.
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ewlewis » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 am

I really rather not use electronic lighting system lighters, but use one as my beater. I do have a flint system lighter to use around the home (Xikar Scribe) that I really like. At the end of it all, though, I prefer matches. Just plain clean lights every time
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:31 am

I've been trying lately to come to terms with the match! As mentioned, the smell and even sight of one gives me a very queer feeling inside. Odd. However, I've been using them to light up during this last week and, even more strangely, I've been getting used to it. I think I've found a match best for the charring light and maybe second light as the flame seems to create a better combustion, but the lighter remains for further lights as I can take this in only small doses at the moment! It might all be down to the box and the striking area, but I'm not sure. Anyway, there we are. Some self-imposed remedial treatment that is partially working at the moment.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby SidStavros » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Always matches in the beginning and after the 2/3 of the bowl i use lighter,i keep it that way as a traditional. There is an exception: Out in wind situations [as vacations] i can't use matches and i depend on lighters only.
SidStavros

Postby ratatosk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:20 am

SidStavros wrote: There is an exception: Out in wind situations [as vacations] i can't use matches and i depend on lighters only.

Sorry, Sid, but I saw the vacation pictures that you posted in What Are You Smoking? and you will get no sympathy from me! Those were beautiful places, windy or not, and it looks like you know how to enjoy things. :D
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby SidStavros » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:10 pm

ratatosk: Thank you my friend! :P I took a lesson from those vacations, "always bring your zippo cause you're gonna face wind". Next year i will be prepared. 8-)
SidStavros

Postby KevLa » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:41 am

Not long after I first started smoking a pipe, my girlfriend bought me a pipe Zippo. It's a lovely lighter that I treasure, but I got fed up of refilling the thing. For quite a while, now, I've been using matches :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 pm

I bet Swann matches are great, but you have to make 6 figures to afford them.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Return to Accessories