Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Nimrod Sportsman or a zippo?

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Nimrod Sportsman or a zippo?

Postby tarheel7734 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 am

I love my Old Boy lighter, but sometimes it is too windy outside to use it. I am needing something I can use in wind and I was looking at the Nimrod Sportsman as well as the zippo with a pipe insert. What say you that has used both. How do they compare?
tarheel7734

Re: Nimrod Sportsman or a zippo?

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 am

The only one of the two I have is the Zippo, which has proven to be a great, reliable tool for any outdoor lighting. I have to remember to blow on it a little or shake it first before flicking to dispel any lingering fumes which sometimes make the flame over generous and threatens then to scorch my moustache or eyebrows, particularly if the wind catches it! But for a good flame in a breeze (though not a gale), my Zippo is the one.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Falconeer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:51 am

That Nimrod wouldn't be the one produced by Falcon in the 70s/80s would it? Can't recommend it if it is - I'd one and practically took the skin off my hands trying to get the darn thing to fire up. The wheel wasn't cut coarse enough and produced only a weak spark; the whole thing need constant cleaning. My first wife banned me from using it in the bedroom - the sound of ongoing "ziiiiippp-ing kept her awake!"

Mother in Law bought me a Zippo - never used anything else since if I could help it!
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby NoBail » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:54 am

I use a Nimrod Commander and I love it. I found a second on EBAY that was in the original box with instructions so I have a backup if it is ever needed. I've not used a Sportsman, and am also interested in opinions from users.

Buying an older lighter may test your patience if it is corroded or needs repair. I had to remove a small pin to free up the flint striker wheel and then gently replace the pin. I ground my own tool to remove the pin.
NoBail

Postby BladeBoy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:35 pm

I have had a couple of the Nimrod Sportsman's and found them less than great performers, wind resistance and fuel retention were it's weakest point, a shame because I love the design. The Nimrod Commander (very similar to the Zippo pipe lighter) on the other hand is a great light, I would go with the Commander or Zippo.
BladeBoy

Postby bluecow » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:17 am

i have both. the nimrod is a great lighter and i use it a lot, it belonged to my great uncle. get the zippo it is a better machine, as the market has proven.
bluecow

Return to Accessories