Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

New (old) Pipe Rack

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

New (old) Pipe Rack

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:17 pm

I bought this last week for £4 from an 'antique'/junk stall in a craft centre. Perfect for my straights and those pipes that actually fit the rather small holes! I am sure that older pipes were smaller and had thinner stems! Anyway, it all fits perfectly as you can see and it looks handsome enough with the rest of the collection. At that price, a bargain, I thought.
Simple affair, no decorative bits (thank goodness) and the pipes look great in it.
The pipes? From left to right: a Peterson billiard, old but date unsure; a Parker rusticated billiard and a great smoker; an unknown make but handy enough; a lightweight GBD smooth billiard; another GBD, smooth apple and a Savinelli billiard, with thick walls and horn band, a personal favourite and it holds a ton of tobacco giving a lomg smoke. And, by the way, all of the above are estates (or secondhand!) and none the worse for that either. Happy smoking.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: New (old) Pipe Rack

Postby William » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:41 pm

That was a bargain Steve and those are some great looking billiards and apple. Thanks for sharing. :D
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Falconeer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Very nice Steve. You are right - I have about three estate pipe racks and the only pipes I have that will fit them without my drilling out the holes are Peterson P lips - modern fishtails do seem to be wider and I find too there is a problem with accommodating pipes with wider bowls such as Bulldogs or Rhodesians - guess in those days folk smoked either Billiards or smaller pipes.

Anyway - a great bargain and a good looker.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby acaciavet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 am

I agree With Will nice stock of Billiards
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Nice find, mate :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Great bargain, G.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Accessories