Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Fixing an Old Boy-type lighter

Discuss lighters, tampers, racks, pouches, etc

Fixing an Old Boy-type lighter

Postby SteveH » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:40 am

Yesterday, I successfully fixed my Peterson lighter, which is an Old Boy-type. The cap wasn't closing properly, so that the gas wasn't properly cut off, and leaked out when it wasn't in use, so that when I used it after a break, it was always nearly out of gas. I removed the tiny screw at the hinge, using a penknife blade because I haven't got a small precision screwdriver, took the cap off, and removed the spring. I stretched the spring slightly, being careful not to overdo it, and reassembled it. Bingo - it worked! It now closes properly again.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Fixing an Old Boy-type lighter

Postby KevLa » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:51 am

Bingo! :D
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for this, Steve. I have found a similar problem with my own Peterson lighter (could it be a design flaw?). I will try this remedy if I can. Much appreciated.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby SteveH » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:39 pm

My pleasure! The screw is very small, so make sure you don't lose it!
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Accessories