Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Where is your favorite place to enjoy your pipe?

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Where is your favorite place to enjoy your pipe?

Postby docjamo » Tue May 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Where is your favorite place to smoke? As for me, I enjoy sitting outside on my bench under a huge shade tree overlooking miles and miles of farm land. We are the highest point in our county so I can see quite a distance. Beautiful scenery. I like to sit there with my dogs at my feet stretched out enjoying the cool breeze. I enjoy watching the chickens free range in the yard. This is a time for relaxation and contemplation and plain old enjoying the taste and aroma of my favorite tobacco. Life is good.
docjamo
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Where is your favorite place to enjoy your pipe?

Postby BillConnelly » Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Lucky. The only place I get to enjoy my pipe is in my shed. Banned from smoking in the house. And it blows a gale most days here, so smoking outside isn't really much fun.
My Blog About Booze http://www.billsbooze.com/
BillConnelly
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ruraldean » Thu May 07, 2009 3:01 pm

My wife kindly has allowed me to convert our 4th bedroom into a pipe den. I have wide screen tv, computer, sound system, internet and comfy chair. Oh, and all of my books.

I need never leave.
Regards
Paul
http://crimsonleaf.co.uk
http://lefthandedscribblings.co.uk

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe

We nicknamed our granddad Spider Man. Not because he had special powers, but because he couldn't get out of the bath...
ruraldean
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby docjamo » Thu May 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Sweeet. Nice set up.
docjamo
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RipVanWinkle » Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Normally on my back porch looking off into the woods or down on the bench-swing by the pond, if it feels nice outside. Otherwise I'm in my big comfy lazy-boy in my living room! :D
RipVanWinkle
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Irminsul » Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 am

My wife of 22 years didn't approve of my pipes or cigars. So after I divorced her in 1995 and inherited a condo apartment from my parents, I dedicated one of my two bedrooms to computer, pipe and home theater. I'm retired and my children are grown but live in the same general vicinity, so I get to see them often. They don't mind my pipesmoking, a grace that keeps them from being disinherited and cast into the outer darkness by Irminsul.
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Johnny » Fri May 08, 2009 6:52 pm

I smoke mine anywhere in the house but my favorite spot is sitting in my computer chair at the desk. Nothing beats a nice cup of coffee or tea, smoking a pipe and reading about different tobaccos and pipes while listening to some great tunes.
Johnny
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby docjamo » Fri May 08, 2009 9:06 pm

Johnny, I agree. I love smoking my pipe while reading tobacco reviews.
docjamo
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Muddler » Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 am

I have a den/ study where I do most of my smoking (my wife smokes cigarettes so the whole house is a smoking zone, though). My laptop is there, books, hi-fi, dog basket & dog (often), heater etc. I use the place as a home office as well. But my favourite place to smoke a pipe would be alongside a trout stream.
Mike
Muddler
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby morleysson » Sun May 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Muddler wrote:.....But my favourite place to smoke a pipe would be alongside a trout stream.
. Somehow, i always imagine you like Stewart Granger in 'King Soloman's Mine" smoking on the veranda of a home on the veldt, surrounded by dogs and horses and gunbearers. Please don't tell me I'm incorrect in this vision.

For me, on the porch w/ the Demon Peke, a carafe of coffee, ashtray and pipes. A tub of ERRD would be nice, but more BibNBurley these days (saving my ERRD for special times and friends).
morleysson
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dencappo » Sun May 10, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm lucky enough to be allowed to smoke in my living room. I open the window slightly and also open the kitchen window during a smoke, which allows the haze and its associated smells to blow through nicely. On those cold days when this is not possible, I open the windows for a minute or two immediately after a smoke... Usually does the trick.

I know how lucky I am for my fiancée to allow this, but although not a smoker herself, she claims to really enjoy the aroma of my burning tobaccos.
Matt

Growing a beard "is a habit most natural, scriptural, manly, and beneficial."
- C. H. Spurgeon

Soli Deo Gloria!
Dencappo
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby N7COF » Sun May 10, 2009 6:43 pm

I enjoy a pipe very much while exploring the BackCountry & around a campfire with friends
N7COF
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Gig » Tue May 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Outside with my two mates.

Regards

Gig
Gig
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Calumet » Wed May 13, 2009 1:52 pm

I smoke in the house Im just not allowed to smoke while on the computer. My girlfriend says it will damage it!!! So I wait until she goes to work to smoke at the computer. Im really not fooling her, she sees the ashes and I usually leave my lighter and maybe a pipe right there.

I also like to sit on the back porch looking into the woods and at the stream, too small for trout but the occational deer stops by to drink. Ive also seen black bears and a coyote while quietly puffing my pipe on the porch. Two bald eagles last weekend!!! :mrgreen:
TIM
Calumet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Brooklynpipeguy » Wed May 13, 2009 4:58 pm

I smoke wherever I feel like it. I live alone, so it doesn't matter. I tend to smoke more aromatics in the winter though, I live in an apartment building, and when everything is closed up in the winter, I suppose my neighbors like that better than English blends. I prefer smoking indoors, so that is what I mostly do unless we have an unusually calm day. I do get comments from people that come over about the smell of pipe smoke, to which I respond, the door works both ways.

I have also heard that smoke and computers don't go well together, I smoke at mine all the time. I usually have at least two tobaccos at the computer, and a pipe stand, pipe cleaners, ash tray,and a few pipes standing against my coffee mug pencil holder. The problem I heard about with computers and smoking was with smoke being sucked into the computer by the cooling fan and depositing on the circuit boards causing heat buildup. I don't really see a problem with this, and I get a new computer every few years anyway, so I don't worry much about this. Second hand smoke isn't good for pipe smokers either, yet we still do it.
Kenny H.
Brooklynpipeguy
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed May 13, 2009 6:37 pm

In the living room on a winter afternoon when there's a decent snowstorm, a cup of tea, and a good book.

Summer runner up: porch at a lodge, woods, lake, Adirondacks (alas, as a lowly renter)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby dlgillen » Wed May 13, 2009 7:08 pm

ruraldean wrote:My wife kindly has allowed me to convert our 4th bedroom into a pipe den. I have wide screen tv, computer, sound system, internet and comfy chair. Oh, and all of my books.

I need never leave.

O yea, "The Man Fort" I have one also, Computer, T.V., Radios, Pipes, Trains.... gota love it

Regards,
Dan
Dan
"A Classic Virginia Flake"
dlgillen
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby kkendall » Wed May 13, 2009 7:13 pm

Probably while driving my truck.
kkendall
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Jay » Wed May 13, 2009 7:50 pm

I'd have to say out on the boat, on a quiet lake at sunset, fishing for anything that bites or nothing at all. Also, on the deck, facing the Mighty Cuyahoga (the nice part, not the part that caught fire...) playing some old-time stringband music. Whoo! If I feel the need to relax with nothing but my pipe, I choose my rocking chair. It's actually not a rocking chair just a standard office chair that I've broken (i mean, "modified,") to allow me to lean back.
Throw the stick, Let the bulldog roll.
Jay
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Blackadder » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Where ever I am smoking it at the time
I on the other hand am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the University of life, a diploma from the shcool of hard knocks and 3 gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me. (Captain E. Blackadder 1917)
my pipes http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/TheBlackAdder/
Blackadder
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Next

Return to Finer Things