Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Where is your favorite place to enjoy your pipe?

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Re: Where is your favorite place to enjoy your pipe?

Postby Freedumb » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't smoke inside yet, I'm building a small smoking room in the basement for the winter. Since its summer now I like to smoke in the flower gardens (75% of my yard has been made into flower gardens) either on a bench or in the gazebo. On windy days I have been smoking in the garage.
Russ
Its better to burn out then it is to fade away - Neil Young
Freedumb

Postby piper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:13 pm

ruraldean wrote:My wife kindly has allowed me to convert our 4th bedroom into a pipe den. I have wide screen tv, computer, sound system, internet and comfy chair. Oh, and all of my books.

I need never leave.

That'd be nice. Does the aroma make it through the rest of the house? Supposing you want to sell your house, is cleanup just a matter of replacing carpet?
piper

Postby gnossos » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:39 pm

My porch, of course!

I smoke in my room as well, in a two bedroom apartment I have with my girl. The aroma does spread but it airs out rather quickly. Cigarettes would be a different issue and I'm sure my cigars linger a lot longer as well, pipe tobacco however seems to dissipate pretty quickly if you can open some windows and air the place out.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dencappo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:21 pm

piper wrote:
ruraldean wrote:My wife kindly has allowed me to convert our 4th bedroom into a pipe den. I have wide screen tv, computer, sound system, internet and comfy chair. Oh, and all of my books.

I need never leave.

That'd be nice. Does the aroma make it through the rest of the house? Supposing you want to sell your house, is cleanup just a matter of replacing carpet?

I'll let Dad answer for himself, but I smoke in the living room and/or Kitchen at my apartment; a non-smoking apartment, I might add, with regular inspections from the letting-agent.

Unless you are smoking constantly in the room, you will have no need to replace anything should you move, as long as you keep the room well ventilated when smoking, not even the carpet will need replacing (assuming that what belongs in the pipe, stays in the pipe). As you probably already realise, pipe tobacco smoke is VERY different to cigar or cigarette smoke in as far as it doesn't linger in the same way.

There is also a wonderful product called Fabreeze here in the UK (not sure if you have it in the states), but it is designed specifically for getting bad odours out of fabric (such as carpets and curtains). Just spray it on and wait for it to dry. It works perfectly.

I've been getting away with smoking in my apartment for years with no paint staining, smelly or burnt carpets... Nothing.

Enjoy! :D
Matt

Growing a beard "is a habit most natural, scriptural, manly, and beneficial."
- C. H. Spurgeon

Soli Deo Gloria!
Dencappo
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ruraldean » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Yup - what he said.

I try to keep the room well ventilated when smoking, and in my opinion there's no smell of stale smoke the following morning, and I don't use Fabreeze. SWMBO has also allowed me to smoke in the lounge WITH HER PRESENT IN THE ROOM!

Actually, that went quite well, although she thought the tobacco I was smoking was a bit "cigaretty". Next day nothing though, and her biggest fear is of a smokey house so I passed the test.

What Matt said is also true, in that his flat doesn't smell at all, and he smokes in the main lounge every day.
Regards
Paul
http://crimsonleaf.co.uk
http://lefthandedscribblings.co.uk

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe

We nicknamed our granddad Spider Man. Not because he had special powers, but because he couldn't get out of the bath...
ruraldean
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby jms » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:24 pm

My favorite place is in the kitchen in the morning watching my dog stare at me funny.

Usually, I smoke in the main rooms of the house that have more ventilation. Although I never encounter foul odors the next day. At least no odors like the left over effects from a Gran Habano cigar. Man those things stink in the manana.
---------
Jeff
jms
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Serpov » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:24 am

My favorite place to smoke is my home office, and in fact that is where I do most of my smoking. I have an internet connection and computer there, a comfy office type chair, a couch to lay upon should I so desire and a radio. And of course my collection of Soviet Propaganda and a wall filled with books.

It truly is amazing what one can do with a spare bedroom and a little ingenuity.
No force, no torture, no intrigue can eradicate Marxism-Leninism from the minds and hearts of men.
-Enver Hoxha.
Serpov

Postby piper » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Are there certain tobaccos that are good for indoor smoking in the respect of leaving a lasting odor? Ones to avoid? I can answer my own question for one particular tobacco, SG XX. I wouldn't smoke that in my garage!
piper

Postby jms » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Piper, I have found, in my house that certain English blends tend to over welcome themselves more so than straight Virginia. Not so long ago, I smoked some PS Proper English late one night, and there was a definite slight odor early the next morning.
---------
Jeff
jms
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby john » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:33 am

In my family room,my wife likes the smell of pipe tobacco, how ever i go out in the garage to smoke a cigar.
john
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby CPWSolf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:49 pm

My favourite place to smoke is whilst out walking on a warm summers night: just as twilight hits. Dog in tow, ideally a larger bowled pipe so I can take my time over it and gather the days thoughts together.
Luckily I live in the countryside so said walks are through fields looking at the hills and not on roads - heavenly.
Chris

"You have seen but not observed whereas I both see and observe."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCadYy6qr4IjVVsVT7zrCZag
CPWSolf
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby viper37 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:52 am

I prefer sitting outside with a cup of coffee or tea, just watching and listening to nature. It is very ralaxing and all the days problems just seem to melt away.
Bill
viper37

Postby acaciavet » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:16 pm

I usually sit on the back porch its enclosed but not Insulated,so It gets chilly in the winter, Live on the Shore Of Lake Ontarion and the wind sure does blow.
I am a sales rep so I have a lot of winshield time and I smoke there also. Cheers mates
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby highstump » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:13 pm

We have an extra bedroom that somehow turned out to be an office of sorts for me. No TV in there but the radio is generally on. I have the option of working from home one day a week if I want but have not used it yet. (I am not crazy about working from work let alone from home.) My preference is smoking on the patio and watching the grass grow but when the weather is bad the office space is a great alternative. I can smoke anywhere in the house I want and my wife does not object but depending on the tobacco I do get a "look" at times so I am content with the man cave.
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby Falconeer » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi'

Out on the deck of my residential caravan i my favourite chair with my feet up on the rail. Love the after breakfast pipe with coffee while the world's all quiet and new and really enjoy the last one of the day with a glass of whisky and water watching the sun go down and the moon come up.

Never knowingly overlooked a cliche in my life!

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby johnnyonion » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:38 am

For me it is when I am fishing and/or sitting on the back porch about 1:30 am on a clear crisp night just lookin at the stars...... I like being alone when I am smoking so I can just enjoy my smoke and what I am doing.
http://www.johnnymannion.com

The deeper sorrow carves into your soul, the more joy you can contain.
johnnyonion

Postby Quigzinator » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:40 am

I usually smoke my pipe at a bench outside a food joint at my college. i have smoked inside and i really like it! but i own a bird and he wouldn't like the air pollution much.
Also I smoke a couple bowls a week on my pourch but i must say i do most of my smoking at school.
Quigzinator

Postby dernebo » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:04 am

Well, since I am not blessed with a place to smoke inside the house my favourites are when taking our dogs for a walk. Or on our balcony at summer.
-- Smokin'...
dernebo

Postby Christoff » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:07 pm

In my study sitting at my large green leather topped desk with the desk-top computer, surrounded by books, pipes, camera gear, and the radio. I prefer the radio to a television. As someone once said, " I much prefer the radio, the pictures are so much better!"

Christoff
"......the moment a man takes to a pipe he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other thing on this blessed earth."
- from Sam Slick, the Clockmaker (T.C. Haliburton, 1836)
Christoff

Postby hobie1dog » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:06 pm

On the boat while fishing.
Welcome to the United Snakes, Home of the Thieves, Land of the Slaves

hobie1dog

PreviousNext

Return to Finer Things