Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Famous Pipe Smokers

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Famous Pipe Smokers

Postby Irminsul » Fri May 08, 2009 8:24 am

In a very interesting and well-stocked pipe blog titled The Briar Files, which I encourage you to visit, there is a featured homage to actor Glenn Ford. It turns out that Ford was a dedicated pipe smoker who owned some fifty pipes. Below is a great photo of Ford with his collection. Show this one to your wife and she will never complain again that you have too many pipes!

Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Famous Pipe Smokers

Postby Dencappo » Fri May 08, 2009 11:08 am

Stephen Fry (http://www.stephenfry.com) is probably one of the most famous pipesmokers in the UK.

A fantastic chap as far as I'm concerned.
Dencappo
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby dlgillen » Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am

Here's my hero....
Hugh Hefner american icon circa 1960
Dan
"A Classic Virginia Flake"
dlgillen
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby morleysson » Sat May 16, 2009 2:48 am

I have to nominate the late Christopher Morley, an essayist, author, newspaperman, raconteur and pipesmoker.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Morley
morleysson
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Blackadder » Sat May 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Theres quite a long list of them
JRR Tolkien
Albert Einstein
Douglas MacArthur
Ernest Shackleton
Edward Hardwicke
Jeremy Brett
Basil Rathbone
Rowan Atkinson
Stephen Fry

I think clearly if I had to choose a pipe smoker who was the most famous I would have to say it was this man not only famous but also hated, loathed and feared
Dr. J Robert Oppenheimer Father of the Atomic Bomb

But I would nominate Jeremy Brett without the slightest hesitation
I on the other hand am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the University of life, a diploma from the shcool of hard knocks and 3 gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the shit kicked out of me. (Captain E. Blackadder 1917)
my pipes http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt304/TheBlackAdder/
Blackadder
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Krumpelman » Tue May 19, 2009 9:09 am

There is a huge post that I unfortunately still get update for this thread that contains "famous pipe smokers". However I hate the forum, and the forum owner so much that I do not want to log back in to change my email preference. Either way, there are a lot of famous pipe smokers!

If you are fan of communism, cats, Penzance tobacco, and horrible stories, you shouldn't have a problem finding the thread on that site.
Krumpelman
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby morleysson » Tue May 19, 2009 11:31 am

I should have included the late director John Ford as another exemplary pipesmoker. Not only was he a prodigious pipesmoker, but he included pipesmoking as an integral activity in all of his films. Try looking at any of his US Cavalry trilogy ('Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache, Rio Grande) or the Quiet Man, and NOT see someone smoking. His biography
http://www.filmreference.com/film/63/John-Ford.html.
morleysson
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Irminsul » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Krumpelman wrote:There is a huge post that I unfortunately still get update for this thread that contains "famous pipe smokers". However I hate the forum, and the forum owner so much that I do not want to log back in to change my email preference. Either way, there are a lot of famous pipe smokers!

If you are fan of communism, cats, Penzance tobacco, and horrible stories, you shouldn't have a problem finding the thread on that site.

Krumpelman, I feel your pain. I used to be in that forum too. In fact, I contributed some photos to that thread you mentioned. Of the above list, I must aver, I do agree with a preference for Penzance, which happens to be one of my favorites. But the clique there ignored posts from newcomers, did not not deign to reply to questions, and waxed fulsomely and disgustingly ecstatic over every posting and unbelievably inane and unpublishable (except in vanity press) 'short stories' penned by the Old Testament patriarch that 'moderates' that forum. It's difficult to believe that the forums originates (I assume) in a democratic western nation. So let's have fun with this thread here, after all the concept of 'famous pipe smokers' is not copyrighted and is a frequent subject of discussion in several other forums.
Last edited by Irminsul on Tue May 19, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Irminsul » Tue May 19, 2009 5:34 pm

The famous (in his time) French actor Jean Gabin, who is my current avatar, also smoked a pipe in several Inspector Maigret films. I believe that Simenon, another avid piper, liked Gabin's interpretation of Maigret best. But he probably said that to every actor who played Maigret in his lifetime.

Gabin, in a production still from one of his Maigret films. He seemed to have the right face for the role, anyway!
Irminsul
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Jay » Wed May 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Joseph Spence. Bahamanian folk guitarist. An absolutely unique figure in the world of music. Inimitable, to say the very least, Spence played guitar his own way and made the most joyous music I've ever heard. And he sings like Popeye/drunken sea captain. You gotta hear it to understand.

Throw the stick, Let the bulldog roll.
Jay
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KenLane613 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:44 pm

I nominate Duck Dunn; bassist of the Blues Brothers and countless other acts.
KenLane613
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Marksthx138 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:46 am

Here are a few more submissions for this hall of fame. Puff on!
Attachments
cary.jpg
Cary Grant
edwardgrobinson.jpg
Edward G. Robinson
gable.jpg
Clark Gable
It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it. - W.C. Fields
Marksthx138

Postby Marksthx138 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:54 am

A few more cool pictures!
Attachments
eb.jpg
Edgar Buchanan - Uncle Joe from Petticoat Junction
263787.jpg
Fred MacMurray
9d04.jpg
Bing Crosby
It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it. - W.C. Fields
Marksthx138

Postby highstump » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:02 am

Irminsul wrote:
Krumpelman wrote:There is a huge post that I unfortunately still get update for this thread that contains "famous pipe smokers". However I hate the forum, and the forum owner so much that I do not want to log back in to change my email preference. Either way, there are a lot of famous pipe smokers!

Krumpelman, I feel your pain. I used to be in that forum too. In fact, I contributed some photos to that thread you mentioned. Of the above list, I must aver, I do agree with a preference for Penzance, which happens to be one of my favorites. But the clique there ignored posts from newcomers, did not not deign to reply to questions, and waxed fulsomely and disgustingly ecstatic over every posting and unbelievably inane and unpublishable (except in vanity press) 'short stories' penned by the Old Testament patriarch that 'moderates' that forum. It's difficult to believe that the forums originates (I assume) in a democratic western nation. So let's have fun with this thread here, after all the concept of 'famous pipe smokers' is not copyrighted and is a frequent subject of discussion in several other forums.

Count me as another refugee. At least that board seems to be "one of a kind". ;)
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby therion » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:27 am

It's in my pipe, and I'm smoking it.
therion

Postby Falconeer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi All

The list couldn't be complete without Reg Harris, Raleigh's great British racing cyclist of the 40s and 50s - who broke records and managed to smoke a pipe. He died in his 7Os around 1992.

Anyone who met him declared him to be "A real Gentleman"

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby ewlewis » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 pm

I felt that we must add C.S. Lewis (novelesit, essayist, and theologian in his own right). Hey we had Tolkien might as well has one of his Inkling counterparts.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 pm

This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:59 pm

harold-wilson_78482s.jpg

Don't forget "Good Old Harold" ..... Wilson that is. Famous Prime Minister & Yorkshireman.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby Marksthx138 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 am

Paul Lynde AKA Uncle Arthur
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Marksthx138

Next

Return to Finer Things