Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Coffee Lovers Anyone

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Coffee Lovers Anyone

Postby SeaRun » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm

And I'm not talking about the overpriced $-Bux cappa frappa fruity loopy 1/2 caf with 1/2 soy 1/2 skim low foam, yadda yadda or a triple/triple from your local Dunkin Donuts or Timmy's.

I'm talking fresh roasted (home or store bought) beans, ground seconds before they meet water, brewed proper with proper temperatures and pressures (as applicable).

Personally, I buy green beans from Sweet Marias in California, I roast my own at home. I only grind fresh, and brew it either in my Espresso machine, one of my Moka pots, or French Press, or syphon.

My equipment list goes:

Behmor 1600 roaster
    Gaggia Classic Espresso machine
    LeLit PL53 grinder (dedicated Espresso)
    Gaggia MDF grinder (for most everything else)
    2 Bialetti Moka pots, a 3 cup and a 6 cup
    2 Bodum French Presses
    A 5 cup Yama Syphon
    And a variety of steaming pitchers, cups, tampers, etc

So yeah, I'm pretty much a self-professed coffee freak.

So does anyone else appreciate a "REAL" good cup of coffee?

Jamie

SeaRun

Re: Coffee Lovers Anyone

Postby acaciavet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Ima a Truck drivers Kid and Former Boatswain Mate so Yea I love my Java
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby custodian » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:57 pm

For about the last 6 months, I have been getting New Orleans French Roast beans at Fresh Market... running them thru a cheap blade grinder... then into a Cuisinart Coffee Plus™ 12-Cup Programmable in the mornings... and ground a little rougher in a small Bodum french press after work... I take mine with sugar and heavy cream when my daughter doesnt catch me...
Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Postby 12toneman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:09 pm

nice set-up! i just picked up a gaggia classic a few days ago. love it! maybe you can help me with somthing, SeaRun. 58mm tamper or 57mm?
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Wouldja believe whole bean Dunkin' Donuts made in a Cuisinart "Mr. Coffee" type autodrip machine? ;)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby SeaRun » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:55 pm

12toneman wrote:nice set-up! i just picked up a gaggia classic a few days ago. love it! maybe you can help me with somthing, SeaRun. 58mm tamper or 57mm?

58 Toneman, definitely. What grinder do you have?
SeaRun

Postby SeaRun » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:01 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:Wouldja believe whole bean Dunkin' Donuts made in a Cuisinart "Mr. Coffee" type autodrip machine? ;)

The question is:

Do you like it?

I guess for the most part, I look at coffee like cigars or pipes & tobaccy; "Smoke / drink what you like, and like what you smoke / drink".
SeaRun

Postby 12toneman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:03 pm

ah, thanks. i just upgraded from a SB barista (which was great) machine and I'm so happy with the Gaggia. Grinder I have this guy:

...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

SeaRun wrote:
HowlinWolf wrote:Wouldja believe whole bean Dunkin' Donuts made in a Cuisinart "Mr. Coffee" type autodrip machine? ;)

The question is:

Do you like it?

Yeh!
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby whiskey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Love whole bean coffee. I buy Guatemalan coffee at Sam's club and I really like it. I use a burr grinder and a high wattage automatic brewer. I am ready to try a French press.
whiskey

Postby Frizz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:03 pm

My old Moka has been with me for 30 years now and it's definitely still my favourite, but SWMBO likes the french press, so that's what we use most days - and I have to admit it makes a fine cuppa joe! :)
-Chris
Frizz

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I am a coffee lover. It is one of my top three favourite recreational drugs, alongside tobacco and m*r*j**n*! :D
I like "proper" coffee when I can get it, but also enjoy more affordable instant coffee. At the moment, Kenco 100% Brazilian is my favourite in terms of flavour, but Douwe Egberts Pure Indulgence supplies me with the glass jars I use to cellar my pipe tobacco :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby custodian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:40 am

whiskey wrote:I buy Guatemalan coffee at Sam's club

We were at the local club last weekend to buy wine for a wedding this weekend... and I was considering a bag of this... what do you think of it?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/member-s-m ... ction=push
Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Postby HCraven » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 am

I do enjoy my coffee, though I'm decidedly low-tech on the equipment end, outside of my burr grinder, a cheap but functional Cuisinart model. I prefer dark-roast beans from any number of sources: fresh roasted beans from local roasters or fair-trade organic from our food co-op when I take the time to go get it, but whole bean Starbucks or something similar often wins out for the sake of convenience. I brew my regular coffee in a basic Bodun french press, and I have a Bialletti Moka pot for Cuban coffee or other strong drinks. Of course, Cuban coffee is just not quite right unless it's made with Cafe Bustelo, my lone concession to canned coffee.
Herb
HCraven

Coffee Lovers Anyone

Postby whiskey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:34 am

custodian wrote:
whiskey wrote:I buy Guatemalan coffee at Sam's club

We were at the local club last weekend to buy wine for a wedding this weekend... and I was considering a bag of this... what do you think of it?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/member-s-m ... ction=push

I haven't tried that. Most of the member's mark stuff is pretty good based on the other stuff I have tried.

This is what we drink:

Pablo's Pride
http://m.samsclub.com/ip/pablo-s-pride-gourmet-coffee-whole-bean-2lb/prod1420227
whiskey

Postby kats » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:34 am

I've been watching off and on for a Rancilio Silvia set up for years. I just never seem to have the $$$ at the right time. I blame all you T&P guys for that. :shock: I have a burr grinder and a french press - yumm-o on a budget.
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby Slickheadhunter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:16 am

Life long coffee drinker here, nothing fancy for me. I do buy whole beans and grind them in a simple Brhun grinder and I prefer percolated coffee.
Slickheadhunter

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Love coffee! Any strong blend will do so long as it smells and tastes great. Super strength at times and, lately, in small quantities rather than huge amounts of liquid. Is it to do with the pipe tobacco on the tongue? I remember a quote from Mr. Bayliss saying because he smoked a pipe he couldn't taste things the same, so everything had to be vamped up a bit to compensate. First thing in the morning it has to be coffee with my pipe! Sets the day off well, I feel.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby 4nogginsmike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Cafe Bustelo in a small Krups drip.

I used to buy green Sumatra and roast my beans in a hot air popper, but to roast a lb of green took forever, some 12 iterations as I could only roast about 1/8s of a cup at one time. Then too after roasting 20? times my beans still didn't taste as good as store bought. Then too it was too expensive. Just as I love fine cigars, I couldn't manage the cost.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby PozzSka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Commercial coffee roaster here...yes I love coffee...

drip, pour over, aeropress, espresso (I have a commercial machine in my roastery), it's fantastic.

I love how (like pipes) you can get a very high quality and enjoyable experience at almost any price point.
PozzSka

Next

Return to Finer Things