Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Wet shavers......pre shave oil

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Wet shavers......pre shave oil

Postby aquaholic » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:14 pm

For all you wet shavers out there, ever tried pre shave oils?

I had been using the Proraso pre shave cream for awhile now, like it okay. Recently picked up a bottle of razorock pre shave oil ( http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-essential-oil-of-lime-shaving-oil ), night and day difference. I like it much better than the cream, 10x smoother shave for me.

Anyway, worth checking out!
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Wet shavers......pre shave oil

Postby Pointyhead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:48 pm

I too thought Prorasso pre-shave cream was just ok. After that ran out I started using Noxzema, which I think works well. I do read enough to want to give a good shave oil a try. Thanks for the tip.
Master double poster. Master double poster.
Pointyhead

Postby pDzine » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Pre shave oil and proper blade selection is key for me. I use Astral platinum blades and the pre-shave oil from art of shaving.
Sam
pDzine
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby BladeBoy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 pm

I don't use a oil but I do use Floid Sandolor Gel Pre Shave, a vast improvement over shaving without a pre shave treatment, Razorock's products are great.
BladeBoy

Postby acaciavet » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:09 pm

I discovered Shave Secret at Walmart I use it and it works swell. I use Derbt Extra blades and the shave oil on the first pass.
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:26 am

Recently I've been using Cremo from Wal-Mart. It's cheap and works great as a pre shave or mixed in with your regular lather to create an super lather. It's very slick and moisturizing.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby SteveH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:35 am

Save money - grow a beard!
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ragefather » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Never tried shave oil before. My routine is pretty basic though. I wash my face with a glycerin soap and then use Arko shave soap.

So are you saying you replaced shave soap/cream with pre shave oil?
ragefather

Postby JacintoCupboard » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Back in the days when I shaved I was told coconut oil had some kind of special similarity to the natural oils in the skin. Being a cheap bastard I used copha. It was a decent enough shave. To be honest I was perfectly happy shaving in the shower with soap and a generic brand twin blade. Handy hint: use the wife's toothbrush to clean multi blade razors at regular intervals during a shave. Make sure to rinse her toothbrush afterwards so she doesn't catch you tho.
JacintoCupboard
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:17 pm

ragefather wrote:
So are you saying you replaced shave soap/cream with pre shave oil?

You can shave with pre shave oil but it's not too good alone. It can be done though with acceptable results but it's not a pleasant shave and not as good as when used under the shave cream. Here's what I do. Hot wash rag on face for 3 minutes or so (the longer the better). Apply pre shave and rub in . Reapply hot wash rag for another couple of minutes so pre shave has time to soften up skin. Apply shave cream as usual. You can add more pre shave after a couple of passes followed with more lather of course. BBS shave every time. The longer your pre shave prep is with a hot wash rag the better the shave will be. I have experimented with mixing cremo (Wal-Mart) with my lather and its a really slick combination. Chemo is sold as a shave cream but I mostly use it as a pre shave. I have not mixed oil with lather. My go to preshaves are proraso, 3P, and Cremo. The proraso is also the best post shave stuff for irritation I have ever found. It works wonders.

Hope this helps.
Bob
Bob

Return to Finer Things