Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Food for thought

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Food for thought

Postby acaciavet » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Share your thoughts, I am going to try to be more refined and maybe bring back some civility.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/the-gentl ... etiquette/
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Food for thought

Postby FlatbushPaul » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:15 am

I like the civility part as I think many people in this day and age are colder and more distant than in days gone by. I don't know how refined I can be! LOL! I'll try! I've never been accused of being dapper.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer
FlatbushPaul

Re: Food for thought

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:53 pm

Civility is always around, but in some circles it is simply not the done thing. I think a lot of people know what to do but the pressure to be otherwise is too much at times. Certain celebrity behaviour doesn't help, and neither does the immature example of some grown ups who really should know better. Yet I am constantly surprised and gratified to experience good manners in the unlikeliest of situations.
As to dress sense, I do try to go out in public with at least a modicum of decency, though wearing a tie and jacket, or a suit, things that I like, in public can sometimes make me feel that I stand out like the proverbial sore thumb. Nevertheless, I'll continue to do so and wear a smile whilst I'm at it! I've been aware of several gardeners who wear shirt, tie and waistcoat just for the garden, complete, of course, with a pleasant pipe to finish the outfit off! The only negative aspect is the cost of items if you want to be top notch. However, I have a couple of old tweed jackets (two of them are genuine Harris Tweed, given to me by a relative) that I love to wear and, together with my brogues, jumpers and check shirts I'm quite content! Whether gentleman or lady, here's to sartorial sensibility and a more civil society. Thank you for the thread, sir.
G.
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Return to Finer Things