Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

What are you watching?

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Re: What are you watching?

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Watched the final episode of 'The Night Manager', a BBC production, last night. A really excellent six-part series and it kept up the momentum, tension and drama right to the end. I've not watched a more tightly-scripted and produced work for a while now and it is worth catching if you haven't yet seen it. I thought the acting was just perfect throughout.
On the other side of the coin, as it were, just watched a repeat of the 1970s comedy series: 'Rising Damp' and it still brought me out in laughter after all those years since I last saw it. Great comic timing and characterisation. Some things stand the test of time, don't they?
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 am

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Chinatown.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am

The Hound of the Baskervilles, starring Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 pm

This evening, Alex and I have enjoyed the first two episodes of Sergeant Cork.
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:25 pm

A more serious and challenging watch last evening, a documentary on Down's Syndrome and scripted/produced by a well-known UK comedy writer who has a son with that particular condition. Quite harrowing and enraging at the same time. You'd have to watch it to understand what I mean, as the issues are too long to go into here. Suffice it to say that the presenter made an excellent case for upholding the lives and living of people who have this difficulty, in the face of an increasingly cold and clinical medical profession, with some very severe implications.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby medwin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Going to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail with my 15-year-old son, who's never seen it. I have a feeling that the Vorpal Bunny scene will be his favorite lol.
"There is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark."
medwin

Postby Hermit » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:48 pm

I recently discovered the Viceland Channel.
They have some really interesting stuff.
My current favorite is "Abandoned."
https://www.viceland.com/en_us
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby skaukatt » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Finished watching Stranger Things, great show on Netflix and now almost done with Sons of Anarchy, another great one.
I also recommend Breaking Bad.
Lou
"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest."
-Charles Lamb
http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/
skaukatt

Postby KevLa » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Enter the Dragon.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:38 pm

The Mind of Mr. J. G. Reeder.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Space Battleship Yamato (2010).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:45 am

Well, in a kind of throwback to childhood, I've been watching the old Thunderbirds' series! I'd forgotten just how well made these episodes were and, in addition, how many memories of them from way back then come flooding back. Absolute nostalgia here, pure enjoyment. Mind you, what's a 60 year old doing watching Thunderbirds? I either sigh at my lack of maturity or just give up to the pleasure of the moment. Good fun, certainly.
Completely differently, I've started watching a new BBC programme series on WW1; it's familiar territory but updated with lots of facts and images previously unknown to me, but still rather depressing as I watch the whole thing unfold and I'm not sure if I want to continue watching.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:26 pm

This morning, I received in the post the French Blu Ray edition of the complete Sherlock Holmes, starring Jeremy Brett, David Burke, and Edward Hardwicke.
I've watched the first five episodes, today, ending with... (Continued below.)
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 pm

...The Crooked Man, a personal favourite. Norman Jones, in the title role, gives one of the very finest performances I have ever experienced. Absolutely superb, and a joy to watch in high definition for the first time :D
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 am

I think Jeremy Brett gives the finest portrayal of Holmes that I've seen. He seems to capture the nervous energy and razor sharp mind of the character so well, plus the period production of the series was excellent overall anyway. Ahh, as I don't have a TV I miss these things. Perhaps one day I'll relent and get another.
In the meantime, enjoy those lovely episodes.
Hope to soon message you re meeting, if that's OK. Been so busy with things here, I haven't had a day spare since Christmas but things may be opening up a little after half term.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:03 pm

I echo your thoughts about Brett, and the series as a whole. Watching The Speckled Band, now :)
Yeah, it'd be great to see you. I did leave a voice-mail on your mobile 'phone a little while back; did you get it? :)
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 am

No, Kev. Sorry. I didn't realise you'd sent a mail. My fault entirely. I sometimes delete numbers if I don't know them and perhaps this is one such time. Or did I? I'm also forgetting things a bit more these days!
Not old age, I hope, creeping up on me...anyway, it would be good to meet again soon.
All the best to you both there.
S
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:08 am

No worries, mate. It was a recording on your mobile's answering service. They're calling that "voice-mail," these days ;)
We're fine, thanks. We have a cat, now: Mildred. Looking forward to seeing you :)
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Magnum P.I.
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to Finer Things