Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Something Every Gentleman Should Know...

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Something Every Gentleman Should Know...

Postby ratatosk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:58 pm

about bourbon so as to avoid being hornswoggled too badly by the labels that do not identify the global corporate masters of the "family" distilleries:

http://www.gq.com/images/life/2013/11/bourbon-tree/bourbon-family-tree-large.jpg

The short version is that there are only 13 actual distillers in Kentucky and they are owned by Big Liquor, so the quaint stories about generations of whiskey makers are essentially nonsense. Surprise.
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Something Every Gentleman Should Know...

Postby 12toneman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 pm

so Knob Creek is 10 yo Jim Beam? interesting...
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby HowlinWolf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:34 pm

When a company is bought out by a bigger company, how much of the old ways and methods remain in place varies from case to case, I suppose.

I don't suppose that if Kraft Foods bought out Johnnie Walker, Kraft execs would walk in and presume tell Johnnie Walker how to make scotch from now on. I don't think that if Kraft bought out Walker and also some unknown brand of speedrack scotch, that Johnnie Walker would become the same thing as Old Speedrack, either.

Maybe I'm naive.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 pm

ratatosk wrote:
The short version is that there are only 13 actual distillers in Kentucky and they are owned by Big Liquor, so the quaint stories about generations of whiskey makers are essentially nonsense. Surprise.

A lot depends on willingness to believe that sort of thing in the first place. There's a big market for fans of the traditional, and they're eager spenders.

Even if the distilleries hadn't been bought out by big corporations, I'd view that sort of "tradition" boo-shid with a high degree of skepticism.
i.e. the boo-shid probably predates who currently owns the distilleries

I don't think that grandpa has any intput to Coutnry Time lemonade
or
that those two teenage Smucker brothers have anything to do with the jam
or
that the actual, real Wendy has anything to do with or is particularly interested in whether what's currently called Wendy's and was named after her by her dad, is like it used to be in the old days

et
cetera
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby ewlewis » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 am

This is common in the industry. As it is common in tobacco. Large corporations buy out the smaller family companies.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
ewlewis

Postby Rauchbier » Fri May 22, 2015 6:27 pm

There is a lot of complexity in that pic. I drink a lot of bourbon and that graphic puts a ton into perspective.
Take a cheap but decent bourbon, Bulleit. If you look at their website it looks like Mr. Bulleit sold "the farm" risking it all to bring back pappy's recipe and it is The Bulleit Distilling Company. But graphic shows a Four Roses branch tangled in the Diageo column. Yep, turns out Diageo owns Bulleit, but it is distilled in the Four Roses distillery which is owned by Kirin.

I always knew my favorite Bourbon "bookers" was an aged Beam but hot damn what a cool graphic.
thanks for sharing
Rauchbier

Postby PuFFaH » Fri May 22, 2015 8:45 pm

So who makes Blandons special reserve 133 proof?
PuFFaH

Return to Finer Things