Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Rum

Food, drink, sports, other hobbies, and passtimes

Rum

Postby Penn25 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:27 am

Several years ago my wife and I spent some time visiting with her brother and his wife. They had an awesome vacation home on the beach in Baja. While there I had a dark, aged and most delicious Rum I have ever had. Name???

I didn't save the bottle or write the information down. So I write this in hopes of finding a dark and rich Rum you all might suggest. I can't smoke by order of my doctor but no one said I couldn't sip an ounce or so once a week lol. Thanks
Penn25

Re: Rum

Postby ratatosk » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:00 am

No idea of what you might have enjoyed, but I imagine that there are a lot of choices. My own is Mount Gay XO that Ralfy, my spiritual adviser in all matters involving spirits, recommended a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juDutlFhNDo He is sort of a goof, but probably knows more about whiskey and other liquor than anyone else in the world, well worth the time to browse over his videos. 8-)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby William » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:20 am

I agree with Richard as I've watched many videos of this guy and when he gave Wild Turkey a good rating, I knew he knows what he's talking about. ;)
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Penn25 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:02 am

Very interesting video, thanks. I will certainly take advantage of his knowledge. I do remember the Rum I had was dark and Anejo if that's the correct spelling. I will never forget the deep rich flavor. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction as I won't survive drinking multiple bottles looking for that special one.
Penn25

Postby ratatosk » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 am

If it was marked añejo, then it came from a Spanish speaking country. You would most likely find some Baccardi añejo in the US, but it could be that what you had in Mexico was from Cuba and would be out of luck. Same as with cigars in that respect I am afraid. :(
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Penn25 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:52 am

Funny you should say that. I enjoyed Cuban cigars while drinking the Rum and they were all purchased from a local grocery store in the middle of no where. They also solid some great local farmers cheese.
Penn25

Postby Penn25 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:03 am

Yesterday my wife bought me a bottle of Meyer's Jamaican Dark Rum. Not as rich as what I remember the Anejo ?to be. I will have to break down and ask someone if they want to be a criminal. No just kidding. As much as I enjoyed it I will not ask someone to break the law. It's a nice memory and I'll leave it at that. Thanks all for your responses.
Penn25

Postby ratatosk » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:04 am

Myers is a great rum to use when making hot buttered rum. There are lots of recipes for that, I just use hot water, confectioner's sugar, a cinnamon stick, ground nutmeg, and a pat of butter. Excellent cold weather drink.

If you want to explore something different, track down a bottle of British Navy Pussers Rum. It's a blend of West Indian rums per a recipe sold by the Admiralty to an entrepreneur who wanted to keep the tradition alive. Legend says that for 300 years or so, British sailors were given a ration of a pint a day which they drank neat, the ration was doubled before going into battle. An officer's ration was scotch rather than rum, at least until the scotch ran out. This practice must have led to amazing, if imprecise, feats of courage. 8-)
Richard
-----------
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby 12toneman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 pm

I recently got a bottle of Bacardi 8 Anos.EXCELLENT. It is NOT the usual Bacardi mixing-rum. It's an aged rum, deep flavors, best drank on its on. Top shelf.

I really like aged rum.

We had another couple over for dinner and I brought out four different aged drums and we did a taste test. Bacardi 8 was hands down the best.

...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby Penn25 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:45 pm

12toneman wrote:I recently got a bottle of Bacardi 8 Anos.EXCELLENT. It is NOT the usual Bacardi mixing-rum. It's an aged rum, deep flavors, best drank on its on. Top shelf.

I really like aged rum.

We had another couple over for dinner and I brought out four different aged drums and we did a taste test. Bacardi 8 was hands down the best.

I have just read some things about this Rum and it sounds great. The next thing is the tasting. Exploring where I might find it out here.
Penn25

Postby gnossos » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 pm

gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Penn25 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:29 pm

gnossos wrote:Image

Love the label and bottle but how is the Rum? Where is it available? Thanks
Penn25

Postby bilder » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Sailor Jerry and Appleton are my favorites.
bilder

Postby bearded1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 am

Penn25 wrote:
gnossos wrote:Image

Love the label and bottle but how is the Rum? Where is it available? Thanks

The rum is amazing! One of my 2 favorite rums (the other being Sailor Jerry). The Kraken is the best dark spiced rum I've had.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby Penn25 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:22 am

Awesome and thanks for the information.
Penn25

Postby aquaholic » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Found this primer on rum that was pretty interesting, thought you guys might like it. It's on the Art of Manliness website (a fun website if you're not familiar)

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/12/05/a-mans-primer-on-rum/
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Penn25 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:03 am

aquaholic wrote:Found this primer on rum that was pretty interesting, thought you guys might like it. It's on the Art of Manliness website (a fun website if you're not familiar)

Thanks so much! An interesting read for sure.
Penn25

Postby Penn25 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:05 am

aquaholic wrote:Found this primer on rum that was pretty interesting, thought you guys might like it. It's on the Art of Manliness website (a fun website if you're not familiar)

Thanks so much! An interesting read for sure.
Penn25

Return to Finer Things