Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

The loss of the wig and the gown...

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

The loss of the wig and the gown...

Postby Vulcan1976 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:01 pm

I am bringing this up as I believe after reading many posts that some members are in the legal business......I know that this may not mean much to US readers but what are your thoughts on the loss of the wig and the gown in courts? I think it is a GREAT shame.....one more thing from our wonderful and slightly quirky British way of life has been over analysed and removed.....why oh why can't they leave things alone!
Vulcan1976

Re: The loss of the wig and the gown...

Postby acaciavet » Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 pm

I am of British Roots,we were sent Packing in 1620. Somthing about not paying our mastercard bill and dedtors prison. I love the way Brits think and how civil they are well except in the House of Comons! :lol: But what the hell were you thinking when you took the Pipe out of Pubs? Take your Robes back but please let a mate have a smoke with his pint. Cheers
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Vulcan1976 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm

I heartily agree with you! The fact that you cannot enjoy a a bowl with your pint any more is heart breaking.....I, and I am not alone in this, do not go to pubs any more since the ban came in...the atmosphere has gone....and I refuse to go and stand outside..a sad state of affairs....back to the wigs and gowns...I see that the procession of judges in Westmister last year (London) to mark the start of the new legal year, was still heavily bewigged.....some marvellous photographs were taken.....
Vulcan1976

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 am

I like most things that we Brits can call our Heritage. But I'm afraid that the wigs and gowns in a Court are outdated. If you want to look like that - stick to pantomime.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Supporting Member & Plank Owner
Supporting Member & Plank Owner

Return to Master Debators