Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Pakistan

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Pakistan

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 8:02 pm

2005:
The USA says it will sell F16 fighters to Pakistan, at that time characterized in the media as "an improbable ally in the war on terrorism."
Prior to this, "the United States blocked the sale because of Pakistan’s increasingly obvious drive to build nuclear weapons." (I seem to recall that Pakistan wanted the version of the F16 capable of carrying nukes, but that was nixed)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7294441/ns/world_news/

2006:
36 more F16s to Pakistan, plus upgrades to the older ones

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5131566.stm

2005 & 2006 =
+/- 6 years ago
i.e. right around the same time bin Laden was moving into his McMansion in Abbottabad

Pakistan: about as "improbable" as an "ally" can be.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Re: Pakistan

Postby Bob » Thu May 05, 2011 11:58 pm

Pakistan is not an ally. We all know why we deal with them.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby kats » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 am

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Sun-tzu (~400 BC)
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby gnossos » Fri May 06, 2011 1:01 am

from the FBI's 22 Most Wanted Terrorist List 10 are dead or captured:

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - Captured in Pakistan
Osama bin Laden - Killed in Pakistan
Mustafa Mohamed Fadhil - Captured (?) in Pakistan
Fahid Mohammed Ally Msalam - Killed in Pakistan
Ahmed Ghailani - Captured in Pakistan
Sheikh Ahmed Salim Swedan - Killed in Pakistan
Ahmed Mohammed Hamed Ali - Killed in Pakistan
Mushin Musa Matwalli Atwah - Killed in Pakistan

if only there was some clue, some hint, anything that might be able to lead us in the direction of the other leaders... it's all just too much for my little head to figure out :(
gnossos
Moderator & Plank Owner
Moderator & Plank Owner

Postby Jameson » Fri May 20, 2011 8:41 pm

gnossos wrote:from the FBI's 22 Most Wanted Terrorist List 10 are dead or captured:

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed - Captured in Pakistan
Osama bin Laden - Killed in Pakistan
Mustafa Mohamed Fadhil - Captured (?) in Pakistan
Fahid Mohammed Ally Msalam - Killed in Pakistan
Ahmed Ghailani - Captured in Pakistan
Sheikh Ahmed Salim Swedan - Killed in Pakistan
Ahmed Mohammed Hamed Ali - Killed in Pakistan
Mushin Musa Matwalli Atwah - Killed in Pakistan

if only there was some clue, some hint, anything that might be able to lead us in the direction of the other leaders... it's all just too much for my little head to figure out :(

Holy cow! I didn't know that. It's almost like they have an olive branch in one hand and a knife in the other. But is it any surprise that the Islamic Republic of Pakistan would be harboring terrorists who are fighting, in their mind, what is a holy war in the name of Islam?
Jameson

Postby Falconeer » Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi All,

Couldn't agree more. Sadly this is the truth that British papers will not tell

Gerry
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby SmokinFool » Fri May 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Falconeer wrote:Hi All,

Couldn't agree more. Sadly this is the truth that British papers will not tell

Gerry

None of the "mainstream" media anywhere around the world are reporting on this, at least that I have seen. It's very interesting to see what gets reported and what doesn't, and HOW they handle what does get reported.
Andy

If guns kill people then forks make people fat and pencils misspell words.
SmokinFool

Postby Brett » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Dhimmitude
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby Brett » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:30 pm

President Barack Obama on Wednesday proposed a 40 per cent increase in American aid to Pakistan, amounting to USD 1.4 billion,
Washington and its Western allies have renewed bids to expand their support for foreign-sponsored opposition militants in Syria despite growing alarms about their links to the al-Qaeda terror group.
Obama administration will be giving $60 million to a group of Syrian rebels fighting Bashsar Assad. The aid will be given to the Syrian Opposition Coalition, the ostensible counter-weight to the Islamist al-Nusra Front, deemed a terrorist organization by the United States. This hypocrisy was quickly followed up with an announcement on Sunday by Kerry that the administration will be giving Egypt’s increasingly anti-democratic Muslim Brotherhood government $250 million.
Yes, the same “destroy-western-civilization-from-within” Muslim Brotherhood that loudly proclaims their hatred of Israel, longs for the genocide of Jews, and is being armed to the teeth by Barack Hussein Obama with state-of-the-art weaponry is now (again) openly praising Al-Qaeda.
The Obama administration’s policy towards encouraging Muslim Brotherhood-affiliated Islamists over the more secular members of the opposition in country after country in the Middle East is part of a very disturbing pattern. The policy is either insane because it amounts to doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results or, more likely, it represents a deliberate decision to rely on the Muslim Brotherhood as a counterweight to what the Obama administration considers to be the more dangerous al Qaeda jihadists. If so, the policy is doomed to fail because the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda are made from the same Islamist cloth.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Return to Master Debators