Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

The Philosophy Room

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: The Philosophy Room

Postby Brett » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:22 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:I am getting really tired of people on TV misusing the expression “begs the question.”

It is now routinely being used incorrectly as though it means “inevitably leads to the question,” as in:

With Bokanovsky out for three weeks with a knee injury, this begs the question whether the Mudskippers will be able to defeat the Poisonous Frogs this weekend.
being said as though it means the same thing as
With Bokanovsky out for three weeks with a knee injury, this inevitably leads to the question whether the Mudskippers will be able to defeat the Poisonous Frogs this weekend.

Begging the question is the name for a logical fallacy in which the unproven conclusion is used as proof that the premises in the argument are true.
Begging the question has no other meaning.

More details about the begging the question fallacy, and examples, here:
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html

When people keep using logical fallacies incorrectly, it does beg the question whether those fallacies are logical at all.
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:49 pm

This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:23 am

Ah-HA! :o So, the debating section is still operational, but was changed so that people have to 'opt-in'. I didn't realise until I happened to see it before I logged in, just now. Consider me back in effizect! :D
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 pm

This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:09 pm

*Chortle*. Nice one, Mr. Wolf :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby SteveH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:19 pm

A question and two quotes for you to ponder:

1. If God is omnipotent, can God create an object that is too heavy for God to lift?

2. "I never use metaphors: I prefer not to beat about the bush." - A football manager (don't know which one, unfortunately), in an interview.

3. "I'm tired of all these cliches. I want people who can walk the walk." - Lord Sugar, on 'The Apprentice'.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby SteveH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Deleted - double post.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 pm

SteveH wrote:A question and two quotes for you to ponder:

1. If God is omnipotent, can God create an object that is too heavy for God to lift?

2. "I never use metaphors: I prefer not to beat about the bush." - A football manager (don't know which one, unfortunately), in an interview.

3. "I'm tired of all these cliches. I want people who can walk the walk." - Lord Sugar, on 'The Apprentice'.

One made me think. The other two made me chuckle :lol:
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:23 pm

'Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.'
-Desiderata, by Max Ehrmann.
KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby William » Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:Image

Made me think of Image
this image:
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed May 07, 2014 10:31 pm

Hahahahahaha! :lol: Nice one, chaps! :)
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sun May 18, 2014 9:11 pm

'As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.' - Albert Einstein.
KevLa

Postby William » Sun May 18, 2014 9:51 pm

KevLa wrote:'As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.' - Albert Einstein.

The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun May 18, 2014 9:55 pm

:lol:
KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:25 am

A remarkably pithy observation I just ran into in H. G. Wells re: Nietzsche's Overman:
"...a potent and exceptional human being emancipated from the pettier limitations of integrity"
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm

KevLa

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:03 pm

One should aim not at being possible to understand, but at being impossible to misunderstand.
~ Quintilian
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:59 pm

HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:32 pm

For those interested, here's a link to a terrific little video about the humanist view of the meaning of life, narrated by Stephen Fry:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvz0mmF6NW4

Great stuff! All seems very obvious to me, but I'm sure there are people for whom it will be quite a revelation :)
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to Master Debators