Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

E-cigarettes Banned in Boston Workplaces

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: E-cigarettes Banned in Boston Workplaces

Postby KevLa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:31 am

Sorry, I'm still chuckling over the phrase "stealth vape"... :lol:
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby KevinM » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Since a byproduct is exuded from the lungs into the general atmosphere, I can see the anti Ecig folks having somewhat of a leg to stand on. Still, no recourse for banning dip, chewing tobacco, SNUS or snuff IMO. What baffles me is that it appears perfectly OK for folks to be subjected to a morbidly obese individual who cannot control their diet or flatulence in the office!! My wife was in a work situation where an office mate was so gassy from his fat-ass eating pork rinds and other fatty foods that it invading the whole cubicle area. She said at times it was downright disgusting and made some folks almost vomit. Still, heaven forbid that this individual be called out for that practice. Talk about being subjected to toxins!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ChesterCopperpot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 am

KevLa wrote:Sorry, I'm still chuckling over the phrase "stealth vape"... :lol:

That's the modern parlance in e-cig vaping, my man, I didn't make it up! When you're in a place that doesn't allow smoking, you don't want to blow a bunch of vapor everywhere.
- Seth
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry, sometimes my mouth has a mouth of its own"
ChesterCopperpot

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 am

ChesterCopperpot wrote:That's the modern parlance in e-cig vaping, my man, I didn't make it up! When you're in a place that doesn't allow smoking, you don't want to blow a bunch of vapor everywhere.

I didn't presume that you had made it up, dude. No offence intended. I just find it to be an amusing phrase, like "shopaholic". I suppose I find a lot of modern parlance rather silly :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Add » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:45 pm

barredbenny wrote:
Add wrote:Damn those liberals and their not wanting to breathe in an addictive chemical at work (nicotine is still exhaled).

Okay, perhaps that is the case. But to ban all tobacco products, including snuff, snus and dip? Those have absolutely no negative effects for others.

I 100% agree (no reasonable person could disagree). Some dippers use a "spit glass". I think that's a bit gross. But I think one should defend the right to be "a bit gross" so long as it doesn't harm others.
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Add

Postby Add » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 pm

KevinM wrote:Since a byproduct is exuded from the lungs into the general atmosphere, I can see the anti Ecig folks having somewhat of a leg to stand on. Still, no recourse for banning dip, chewing tobacco, SNUS or snuff IMO. What baffles me is that it appears perfectly OK for folks to be subjected to a morbidly obese individual who cannot control their diet or flatulence in the office!! My wife was in a work situation where an office mate was so gassy from his fat-ass eating pork rinds and other fatty foods that it invading the whole cubicle area. She said at times it was downright disgusting and made some folks almost vomit. Still, heaven forbid that this individual be called out for that practice. Talk about being subjected to toxins!!

...and I, and my colleagues, can be complete assholes to others in the workplace. Strangely there's no law against the psychic damage that we cause to others. If I'm honest, my condescending intellectual bullying probably causes stress that shortens people's lives more than my smoking.
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Add

Postby gnossos » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 am

I've been told I can smoke an e-cig at work, are there actual bans on snus / snuff / dip? Because that gets no notice other than "what the heck is that". I don't regularly smoke e-cigs, but I have one, and when I do smoke it, I do it outdoors, but could probably get away with indoors.

I think people asking you to step outside are more concerned that others will think it's OK to burn down a coffin nail indoors if they see you puffing an e-cig.
gnossos
Moderator & Plank Owner
Moderator & Plank Owner

Postby ragefather » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 am

gnossos wrote:I've been told I can smoke an e-cig at work, are there actual bans on snus / snuff / dip? Because that gets no notice other than "what the heck is that". I don't regularly smoke e-cigs, but I have one, and when I do smoke it, I do it outdoors, but could probably get away with indoors.

I think people asking you to step outside are more concerned that others will think it's OK to burn down a coffin nail indoors if they see you puffing an e-cig.

Things like snus/snuff/dip, that coudnt do harm to a 3rd party are likely banned because they are seen as unprofessional, unless by law of course. However if you are not working a job where you interact with clients or other people often, I wouldn't care if I were an employer. But, I could see myself being annoyed if I were in a meeting and someone was spitting into a bottle or taking hits of snuff. But then again I get annoyed at people that are visibly ill with the flu as well.
ragefather

Postby ragefather » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

This isn't specific to e-cigs in the workplace, but rather smoking bans in general. The guy in the video makes a point that I have been a supporter of since the bans started. Its not really smokers vs. anti-smokers rights that are at stake, but rather property owners. Check out the short entertaining video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nwIUfLttd0A#!
ragefather

Postby KevinM » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Very cool video and a breath of fresh, rational air in the whole debacle!! I agree that restaurants, bars, or any other facility under private ownership should have the right to establish their own criteria regarding smoking or non-smoking. I would even say this should apply to privately owned office buildings and retail shops of every type. If privately owned, then the owners set the rules. If Joe Public disagrees, they can eat, drink, lease office space, or shop somewhere else. After all, its a free country, right??
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Great video link Ragefather.Nice to hear a reasoned statement for a change.Dodger
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Master Debators