Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Monarchy or Democracy?

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Christoff » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm

"Since there also seems a legal slant to this thread (barristers?) do you not feel sad to see the wig and gown go?"

In a word - no! Barristers wigs are uncomfortable to wear and and have little symbolism of any worth in my view. Now that solicitors are allowed to wear them they have no worth at all. LOL. The wearing of wigs in British society was a passing fashion in the 17th/early 18th Century - we don't need them today. However, I still believe in the wearing of robes and bands and wouldn't want to see these go.

Christoff
"......the moment a man takes to a pipe he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other thing on this blessed earth."
- from Sam Slick, the Clockmaker (T.C. Haliburton, 1836)
Christoff
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:39 pm
Location: Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, England

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby KevinKeith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:The bit that I never manage to get my head round is how at each General Election, the country turns out, at great expence, to vote for 600 odd MPs. Once those elected MPs get to parliament - out comes the three line whip, and they all do as they are told. It seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper to just vote for say four party leaders and have done with it. After all no candidate or party ever carries out their election promises........

Also the expenses scandal has shown MPs to be what I have always suspected. That is that they are a bunch of money making bastards who are interested only in their own development. They are a bunch of liars and cheats.

Our constitutional monarchy works ok - the Queen would never dare to refuse to sign legislation - that would be the end of the royal family if she ever did.


Alan, replace MP with Member of Congress, constitutional monarchy with constitution and eliminate references to the Queen and you have described the USA to a tee!
Just a Square Bear from Nowhere.

Kevin
User avatar
KevinKeith
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:26 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 am

Bob
User avatar
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:39 am

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby kats » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:38 pm

Good stuff Bob... thanks! "... and to the REPUBLIC for which it stands..." :!:
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
User avatar
kats
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon - USA

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby ewlewis » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:36 am

Actually Bob, when discussing politics with someone I use a question asking what form of government the US is as a qualifier.
It takes humility to enter into prayer, but it takes faith to come out.
www.ewlewis.blogspot.com
User avatar
ewlewis
Moderator
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:10 am

ewlewis wrote:Actually Bob, when discussing politics with someone I use a question asking what form of government the US is as a qualifier.



I don't understand your point? My point was that we are not a Democracy as most assume. Even the news media uses the term when they refer to potential Democracy in the Middle East.
Bob
User avatar
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3465
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:39 am

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Brett » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:02 pm

If the Queen was to use her power she would be doing it for good reason - she is exceptionally bright and current with the world. As for riots and revolution:


In theory, the Armed forces & Police Service, are 'Her Majesty's' Armed Forces & Constabulary.
(Also the government is in theory "Her Majesty's" government).
If the Monarch ever actually did veto & dissolve the government and fired the Prime Minister (for whatever 'good reason' - probably for the welfare of 'the people') who's side would the Army & Police actually be on?
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
User avatar
Brett
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Dodger » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Brett wrote:
If the Queen was to use her power she would be doing it for good reason - she is exceptionally bright and current with the world. As for riots and revolution:


In theory, the Armed forces & Police Service, are 'Her Majesty's' Armed Forces & Constabulary.
(Also the government is in theory "Her Majesty's" government).
If the Monarch ever actually did veto & dissolve the government and fired the Prime Minister (for whatever 'good reason' - probably for the welfare of 'the people') who's side would the Army & Police actually be on?

Logically the Monarchy .I do not know about the Police ,but every serviceman or woman takes an oath to serve the Monarch .However how it would turn out is anyone's guess .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3792
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Dodger » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:02 am

ruraldean wrote:
KT00na wrote:The following opinion is coming from an American, so take it nd doesn't the Royal Family have expenses, and are any of these expenses being paid for with tax payer money? If they are, then the Royal Family is nothing but a bunch of well-dressed leeches. Sure, I suppose they have their symbolic importance and all, but really all they amount to in my mind are celebrities. To me it would be like us Americans having Paris Hilton have a say in the legislative processes, if she felt like it.

But then again, I don't really know what I'm talking about.


Last week it was revealed that the cost of the Monarchy to the British people is just 69p ($1) per head, per year. Strangely, the pomp associated with the Monarchy is what draws countless numbers of Americans over here, in addition to the tourists from most other countries.

Not everyone thinks they're useless, and I'm not just talking about us Brits.

Whatever the stance you take on the Monarchy ,we currently have a head of state with 60 years of experience .

Most of the Prime Ministers who have had their weekly meetings with her ,have said it is a relief to talk with someone who is above politics and has no axe to grind .

As for the expense it seems rather cheap compared with the cost of the security alone of ex Presidents and their families .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3792
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby StormCrow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Monarchy if I'm in charge, democracy if I'm not.

Therefore, as I'm sure we can all agree, the world would be a better place in my monarchy, but in the real world, democracy is a practical and workable concession.
Mark Twain
~ As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake.
~ Total abstinence is so excellent a thing that it cannot be carried to too great an extent. In my passion for it I even carry it so far as to totally abstain from total abstinence itself.
~ I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices
User avatar
StormCrow
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 pm
Location: Medford, New Jersey USA

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Condoranian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:41 pm

I am a citizen ..not a subject. I will never swear loyalty to someone who rules by divine right. I swear loyalty to the citizens of this country and I will fight enemies ..domestic or otherwise who threaten me or my family or others..nuff said!!

Dave
"If there was a Temple of Condor I would be a dedicated worshipper of it "
User avatar
Condoranian
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:44 am
Location: Bedford

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby englanddave » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Condoranian wrote:I am a citizen ..not a subject. I will never swear loyalty to someone who rules by divine right. I swear loyalty to the citizens of this country and I will fight enemies ..domestic or otherwise who threaten me or my family or others..nuff said!!

Dave


I agree completely Dave Well said
Dave

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb
User avatar
englanddave
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 pm
Location: sunny cornwall. uk

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby ChuckMac » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:53 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:
Irminsul wrote:Now it begins. Now it really begins.



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is funny - I actually passed an "A" Level in "British Constitution" (this was in 1974) - which is quite an achievement as we Brits don't actually have a Constitution.

PS: An "A" Level is an exam that we Brits take at age 18.


Why?
___________________________________________________________
Former Seabee. Served in NMCB5 & NMCB3 1970-74. Home ported Port Hueneme Calif. Construimus, Batuimus - "We Build, We Fight."

Ya know, life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer ya get to the end the faster it goes!

Chuck M.
User avatar
ChuckMac
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby PseudoNim » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Brett wrote:In theory, the Armed forces & Police Service, are 'Her Majesty's' Armed Forces & Constabulary.
(Also the government is in theory "Her Majesty's" government).
If the Monarch ever actually did veto & dissolve the government and fired the Prime Minister (for whatever 'good reason' - probably for the welfare of 'the people') who's side would the Army & Police actually be on?



As an ex serviceman, If I recall, we pledged alleigance to Her Majesty (first) and to Her Government (second).
Now I can only speak for the lads I served with, (but I doubt that much has changed) had the Queen orderd us to open fire on our politicians, we would have obeyed to the strains of "Ode to Joy"
Proud Member of the "Royal Society of Old Codgers and Coffin Dodgers" Mild restrained panic is the British way
PseudoNim
Plank Owner
Plank Owner
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Lancashire England

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Dodger » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm

PseudoNim wrote:
Brett wrote:In theory, the Armed forces & Police Service, are 'Her Majesty's' Armed Forces & Constabulary.
(Also the government is in theory "Her Majesty's" government).
If the Monarch ever actually did veto & dissolve the government and fired the Prime Minister (for whatever 'good reason' - probably for the welfare of 'the people') who's side would the Army & Police actually be on?



As an ex serviceman, If I recall, we pledged alleigance to Her Majesty (first) and to Her Government (second).
Now I can only speak for the lads I served with, (but I doubt that much has changed) had the Queen orderd us to open fire on our politicians, we would have obeyed to the strains of "Ode to Joy"

I would prefer God Save The Queen as the EU has hijacked Ode to Joy
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 3792
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby Brett » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 am

StormCrow wrote:Monarchy if I'm in charge, democracy if I'm not..


I like your way of thinking. :D
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
User avatar
Brett
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: England

Re: Monarchy or Democracy?

Postby paellacooker » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:17 pm

No democracy and no monarchy. :D
User avatar
paellacooker
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Previous

Return to Master Debators

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest