Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Did we really land on the moon?

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: Did we really land on the moon?

Postby h2ouse » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 pm

My understanding on the flag fluttering was that it is down to the lower atmosphere and hence lower resistance, the movement is purely down to the planting of the flag...

Or something like that anyway.
h2ouse

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 pm

If it was hoax, no one could keep a secret that good, that long. That said, I knew Neil Armstrong. Yes, he walked on the moon.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Sasquatch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 pm

All of these supposedly "unanswered" or worse yet unanswerable questions have been answered ad nauseum, have totally mundane answers, and show that in this case, the conspiracy-minded folk are simply totally ignorant of physical conditions on the moon. These questions are akin to asking why someone thinks they know the temperature of the sun - it's not like we have a 8,000,000 km thermometer to measure it with after all. The answer (spectroscopy and nuclear fission equations) is not intelligible to someone who has no idea what physics calculations can do, what they are based on, etc.

This guy does a reasonable job of summing up:

http://www.def-logic.com/articles/lunarlanding.html

One of the things philosophers struggle with is the grounds for belief ("knowledge" being usually defined as justified true belief) of any given proposition. Just as interesting, and twice as useful on a daily basis: What are the grounds for doubt?
Sasquatch
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby RompinDonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Sasquatch wrote:All of these supposedly "unanswered" or worse yet unanswerable questions have been answered ad nauseum, have totally mundane answers, and show that in this case, the conspiracy-minded folk are simply totally ignorant of physical conditions on the moon. These questions are akin to asking why someone thinks they know the temperature of the sun - it's not like we have a 8,000,000 km thermometer to measure it with after all. The answer (spectroscopy and nuclear fission equations) is not intelligible to someone who has no idea what physics calculations can do, what they are based on, etc.

This guy does a reasonable job of summing up:

http://www.def-logic.com/articles/lunarlanding.html

One of the things philosophers struggle with is the grounds for belief ("knowledge" being usually defined as justified true belief) of any given proposition. Just as interesting, and twice as useful on a daily basis: What are the grounds for doubt?

I have read all of that.

It did occur to me that if the US had faked the whole thing - Russia would have blown the whistle!
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby SteveH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Yes, of course we did. Nearly all conspiracy theories are silly, and this is sillier than most.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Hermit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby 12toneman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 pm

bob9039 wrote:If it was hoax, no one could keep a secret that good, that long. That said, I knew Neil Armstrong. Yes, he walked on the moon.

cool. how'd you get to know Neil Armstrong?
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:

It did occur to me that if the US had faked the whole thing - Russia would have blown the whistle!

Not so. There was a quid pro quo going on...
the US was keeping quiet that it knew that the Tunguska Event was a nuke test
because if the US admitted that the Russians had nukes way, way, way back then
it would follow that there was no need to execute the Rosenbergs for passing the secrets of the bomb to the USSR.

So the US kept quiet about the nukes
and the Russians kept quiet about the moon.

These consipiriacies are so ugly! :roll:
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby highstump » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:16 pm

As my daughter pointed out to me yesterday, any flags that were planted on the moon have been bleached out white by the sun. This means that for all anyone knows, it was the French who landed on the moon.
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby gnossos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:42 am

shhh. We need to keep this conspiracy in the mainstream so no one thinks to question the French. Our protectionism didn't end after World War II, if people knew the truth they'd be invaded almost immediately.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 pm

Well, I guess it's time I came clean and showed you guys the truth. :lol:

Warning: graphic language. :shock:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=25d_1310419916
Bob
Bob

Postby kats » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:28 pm

George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Previous

Return to Master Debators