Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Rise of Fantasy

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Rise of Fantasy

Postby Dodger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 pm

While Cruising Amazon for reading material for my Kindle I could not help but noticing the dramatic rise in books on the subjects of Vampires ,witches , werewolves and fairies .
I am wondering if this is a reaction to modern technology ,the decline of Christianity or both .
Personally I am inclined to believe it is the first .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Rise of Fantasy

Postby acaciavet » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:58 pm

I belive in the later!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:54 pm

I don’t know what fairies do, but the rest of those critters do bad things. People vicariously live out their suppressed antisocial parasociopathic urges via Bad Guys.

Back in the day: Bad Bad Leroy Brown is the hero of the song. For the first three minutes he is anyway. He carries a .32 and a straight razor and doesn’t take any shit from anyone. A lot of wannabes dig that special.
At the end of the song some guy who Leroy screwed over butchers Leroy. People like extreme revenge even better than they like the idea of being a Bad Guy.
"Don't Mess Around With Jim" is pretty much the same plot.
By the time Christopher Walken gets killed in King of New York - you feel sorry for him!
If you think long enough about a lot of movie action heroes, they’re proper bastards, too. The hero bad detective doesn’t follow the rules and often dispenses his own street justice.
To a lot of people the Lee VanCleef character is cooler than the Clint Eastwood character.
Etc. You get the idea.

I don’t know why this is, but it’s been this way longer than big technology has been around. Maybe the younger set like the macabre bad guys instead of criminal sociopaths because these days there are far too many real criminal sociopaths running around.
Last edited by HowlinWolf on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Stinkykid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Dodger wrote:While Cruising Amazon for reading material for my Kindle I could not help but noticing the dramatic rise in books on the subjects of Vampires ,witches , werewolves and fairies .
I am wondering if this is a reaction to modern technology ,the decline of Christianity or both .

Maybe some people just like reading about this stuff. Escapism or whatever. What's it got to do with Christianity?
"There are two things I will never give up - my honour and my tobacco pouch" - Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh

"It was my companion in that most wretched time" - Inscription on Sir Walter Raleigh's pipe case
Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Stinkykid wrote:
Maybe some people just like reading about this stuff. Escapism or whatever. What's it got to do with Christianity?

It is a fact in the UK that church attendance gets lower each year ,and I believe that there is a connection between the all of one and the rise of the other .There may be,and probably are other factors involved,but I think that the failure of the established is the main one
At the same time pagan and fringe creeds are showing an increase .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 pm

I have never been interested in Fantasy or SciFi . Realism, I suppose is what holds my attention. When it comes to novels D.H. Lawrence is the Master.

I have tried reading Lord of the Rings a few times (based an the amount of people that love it) - but I gave up every time - it just isn't real.

My problem.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby Taff » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:01 am

I was never into fantasy either, always assuming that Dungeons and Dragons was for weirdos and nerds!! That and being forced to read the Hobbit as a kid in school :lol:

Then, I started reading George R.R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (wish he'd bloody get on with finishing it though) series and absolutely loved. I think the reason was that there was lots of sex and violence and only a dash of dragons and monsters! But it did open my mind somewhat so I looked for some other fantasy series and came across Terry Pratchett's Discworld which I have been thoroughly enjoying. However, even that is mainly taking the mickey out of things in a "fantasy way"...

I don't think the increase in popularity of books about werewolves and vampires (or tv series for that matter) is down to a decline in religion more to do with the internet and the ability of "fringe" genres to come to the fore more easily, couple that with shows like True Blood which ostensibly is about vampires but is really about Anna Paquin getting her tits out (not that I'm complaining) and that piques people's interest in the genre...

Just my opinion!
I went to sea to see what I could see, and all I've seen is the bloody sea !
Drop by my YouTube channel ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/YCymroAiGetyn
Twitter account
https://twitter.com/YCymroAiGetyn or just follow @YCymroAiGetyn
Taff

Postby Stinkykid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:28 am

Dodger wrote:
Stinkykid wrote:

It is a fact in the UK that church attendance gets lower each year ,and I believe that there is a connection between the all of one and the rise of the other .There may be,and probably are other factors involved,but I think that the failure of the established is the main one
At the same time pagan and fringe creeds are showing an increase .

Just my opinion but I doubt that these things are very much connected. I know that religion is in decline - particularly in western Europe - but I tend to think it is because religion is just less relevant to people's lives now. People are also better educated and more understanding of the sciences and, no matter what anyone says, science and religion are contradictory. And even for those who aren't sceptical about religion, it often isn't something they think about and it doesn't fit into their lives. Paganism might be an interesting fashion statement for some people but I don't imagine anyone takes it seriously as a belief. Maybe for some who read fantasy there is an element of rebellion against a religious upbringing, but I doubt that Christianity is a big enough part of UK life any more for many people to need to rebel against it.

I read that less than 2% of people in the UK attend church now, and I bet among those with a Christian upbringing rather than Muslim it is even less. With the trouble that is caused around the world in the name of religion I think it is probably healthy when people have other things going on in their lives and religion doesn't dominate their thoughts. If people in Pakistan spent their time reading fantasy books we'd all be a lot safer. Doubly so if they smoked pipes too.
"There are two things I will never give up - my honour and my tobacco pouch" - Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh

"It was my companion in that most wretched time" - Inscription on Sir Walter Raleigh's pipe case
Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 pm

I like fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc.), but not sci-fy. Regardless, I think these "unreal" worlds allow the authors to totally expand on their characters without the confinements of the real world. Flaws, ethics, strengths, etc., can be put in hyper-drive when needed. Even the power of good!!! Just look at the Bible, which I believe is still one of, if not THE, most read literary work ever.
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Brett » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Dodger wrote:While Cruising Amazon for reading material for my Kindle I could not help but noticing the dramatic rise in books on the subjects of Vampires ,witches , werewolves and fairies .

and Zombies. Don't forget the zombies.
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby ScotsJim » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Vampires ? Werewolves ? Aye. They'll do. Don't ya just love em ? And bloody Stars Trek ! Know what that is ? Nothing more than Coronation Street ( that's a typical UK soap opera for you foreign types ) in fancy dress. What do they all have as a recurring theme ?

Violence for entertainment. ( be that physical or emotional violence, usually both )

I don't think this is owing to a decline in Christianity as I recently read a book that was full of man-eating lions, giants, rape, murder, incest, torture, etc. It was called the bible. Love a good story I do. If you haven't read it there's a surprise twist in the end as the guy in it who's tortured and killed comes back from the dead and appears before a select few before once again disappearing, probably in a spaceship.

Rise of fantasy ? it never died matey.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Taff » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 am

:lol: :lol: but a surprisingly accurate point
I went to sea to see what I could see, and all I've seen is the bloody sea !
Drop by my YouTube channel ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/YCymroAiGetyn
Twitter account
https://twitter.com/YCymroAiGetyn or just follow @YCymroAiGetyn
Taff

Postby custodian » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 am

Patrick
Southern Illinois
custodian

Postby Stinkykid » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:47 pm

ScotsJim wrote:It was called the bible. Love a good story I do. If you haven't read it there's a surprise twist in the end as the guy in it who's tortured and killed comes back from the dead and appears before a select few before once again disappearing

Jesus was a zombie? Is that what the sacrament is all about - eating bodies and all that? I'll never look at a Christian the same way again.

Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:38 pm

Stinkykid wrote: I'll never look at a Christian the same way again.

I never look at them. Full stop. That glazed look in the eyes I find alarming.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Stinkykid » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, and their haircuts. Where do they go to get those haircuts?

Stinkykid
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Fantasy is my favourite genre of entertainment, so I think it is great that it is enjoying an increase in popularity. I see no significant link between this and Christianity, which I see as quite possibly being just another fantasy :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Master Debators