Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Hunting & Killing

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Hunting & Killing

Postby RompinDonkey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:01 am

I know that in the US owning guns and hunting / killing wildlife is accepted as a sport (hobby).

It is the same here in the UK. Birds are reared from chicks to adult birds in captivity, only to be released to be killed. When they are released, the "hunters" are all lined up. Local lads, are paid a small amount to "beat" the bracken to flush out the birds - so that they will be easy targets for the shooters.

The rich guys then all go back to the Manor hooting about how many birds they have killed.

I find "death" quite disturbing. I certainly do not understand why people want to cause it for sport (hobby). Those rich guys here in UK, are no more hunters than I am. But they enjoyed their kill.

I do understand the skill needed to get the object of a stalk in the sights of a gun. The skill and field craft required.

But why do you have to kill it?

Are you hungry? Is there a cull required on this species of animal?

I will repeat the words that I said above "I find death quite disturbing"

My motto, tends to be "live and let live".

I couldn't kill something for a hobby - that would be a life gone purely for my enjoyment.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Re: Hunting & Killing

Postby gnossos » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:04 am

IMO that's an asshole way to hunt

I don't hunt but have considered it. I fish. I like to eat the fish I catch when I feel OK doing so because I find the type of fish I tend to catch delicious, but fisheries for what I've been after lately in my neck of the woods tend to be very delicate things and I'd like to be able to continue fishing, so more often than not I now catch and release. Due to invasive fish species, rock snot, and other wonderful things of that ilk, it's pretty much just a matter of time til they're all gone, so I try to be judicious in what I decide to keep.

I know deer can be viewed as a real pest in certain parts and do need culling. Turkeys are assholes and taste good too. But I'd feel pretty crappy if I ever decided to hunt and ended up on some of the farms I've read about where people pay for the opportunity to be handed a trophy they never really had to work for.

Frankly I think that anyone who eats meat should be comfortable hunting wild game that has had a far better life than the meat that most often makes it to our tables. And if you're a vegetarian, well, depending on your point of view you're either giving money towards helping someone get a dead end job they'll never move on from or you're supporting with your wallet an industry that hires illegal migrant workers and treats them like shit because they'd be deported or even killed if they made a stink about the conditions they live in.

Happy Monday everyone!
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Hermit » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 am

RompinDonkey wrote:I know that in the US owning guns and hunting / killing wildlife is accepted as a sport (hobby).

What you have described is not hunting. Next.
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Falconeer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 am

I was a farm boy in the 1950s and I'm afraid my basic thoughts remain unchanged since then. Basically if it became a nuisance we shot it. If it could be eaten once we'd shot it we did.

I do and have shot rabbits, pheasants, duck, pigeons, crows, rats and foxes all my life; I shoot in Spain too. I enjoy the challenge, take pride in a clean kill and also can appreciate the workmanship lines and performance of a good gun or rifle. I make no apology for that.

I am also old enough to think that there is nothing in this universe sexier than an attractive woman in a fur coat. Thankfully the Spanish think so too!

Never having been rich I have never been on say an organised grouse shoot or similar - but that said I personally can see little difference between the organised and mass slaughter of broiler chickens raised in barns for the table, to end up in an authorised licensed slaughter house and say grouse raised to be shot.

If I thought differently, I would not eat poultry, game birds, meat nor fish and would only wear clothing made from synthetic fibres.

This is what I think, it is not meant to offend others, but no ammount of argument will ever make me change my mind.
"I don't think it matters what kind of pipe you smoke, so long as it is well broken in." - Trevor Baylis former Pipe Smoker of the Year
Falconeer

Postby Taff » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 am

Falconeer wrote:I was a farm boy in the 1950s and I'm afraid my basic thoughts remain unchanged since then. Basically if it became a nuisance we shot it. If it could be eaten once we'd shot it we did.

Same here. I was brought up on a small holding and foxes were a royal pain in the backside so my father (and myself as soon as I was old enough to handle a .223) shot them on sight. I was taught only to take the shot if I was confident of a clean kill, and I was always sad to see a beautiful animal killed but understood the need. Pigeons we shot a lot of because they were a pest. Rabbits too, but often we'd go shooting them for a nice treat to eat.

This is another topic where opinions will be polarised permanently so I'm not going to try and change anyone's stance - each to their own and all that!
I went to sea to see what I could see, and all I've seen is the bloody sea !
Drop by my YouTube channel ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/YCymroAiGetyn
Twitter account
https://twitter.com/YCymroAiGetyn or just follow @YCymroAiGetyn
Taff

Postby Dodger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:04 pm

If you come to the West Country a large proportion of farmers ,if they have confidence in your skill and have not the time to do it ,will allow allow the hunting of rabbits and other vermin .My brother had about ten farmers who allowed him to hunt rabbits as they are the biggest pest of all .
Grouse and pheasant shoots using reared birds are not hunting as such ,but they bring money into the countryside ,and most countrymen do not like the shooters .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby RompinDonkey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:26 pm

So I have got it all wrong then. The actual kill itself doesn't bring any pleasure?
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey

Postby Dodger » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Alan the act of killing does not give me pleasure ,although some might get it ,pleasure is the thrill of the chase and a job well done .
Unlike our American friends I have never hunted deer , I can understand why they do it ,but I wish they would not use bows as I feel that this can lead to unnecessary suffering .
Rabbits which are usually my target are a major pest and can devastate crops ,even if the consumption of meat was banned rabbits would still have to be killed and deer culled .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Brett » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:53 am

RompinDonkey wrote:I find "death" quite disturbing.

Perhaps it is that which affects one's opinion on the subject.

Everything dies. If there is a reason for killing, then all one is doing is hastening the inevitable.
Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby gnossos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 am

Deep, man.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby acaciavet » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:46 pm

I gave up hunting Pheasents when they became extinct in NY State I own 10 guns and most are for my home protection and for fending off Democrats.
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby mgtarheel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:27 pm

I will say that where I live in North Carolina deer hunting is needed to keep the population down.
Mike

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

Steve Jobs
mgtarheel

Postby KevinM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Here in Louisiana, hunting, fishing, and LSU football are a major way of life for most males. Although many hardcore hunters are members of hunting clubs that lease tracts of land to hunt on, they are not posh country club setups where trophy animals are released in front of you. It just allows you to hunt on that property during the various hunting seasons. You still have to slog through the woods and swamps and rely on your own skills to be successful. A few of my friends and work mates are avid hunters, but its a sport AND meat thing, as many stock up the freezers with meat that they enjoy cooking, and I will admit I enjoy eating!! I do not hunt, and like Alan, I find that sort of death a bit disturbing. I do not think I could look an animal like a deer in the eye and kill it. I do like to fish, and have no qualms catching and eating fresh speckled trout, redfish, or largemouth bass!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:50 am

Falconeer wrote:...I am also old enough to think that there is nothing in this universe sexier than an attractive woman in a fur coat. Thankfully the Spanish think so too!...

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as an attractive woman wearing fur. And I am what I consider to be wise enough to think that there is no country where everybody has the same beliefs.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Brett » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
Brett

Postby highstump » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:02 am

Brett, that is priceless! :lol:
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby KevinM » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Brett, that find was too hilarious :lol: Unfortunately, that is the type of stupidity that drives many of the "Anti" groups that exist today!!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Return to Master Debators