Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Global warming

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Global warming

Postby SteveH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Do you agree with 97% of climate scientists, and every national scientific academy in the world, who say that global warming is happening, that human activity is a major cause of it, and we've got to do something about it, or do you agree with the Daily Mail, UKIP, the BNP, Mad Mel Phillips, Potty Pete Hitchens, Daft Dick Littlejohn, Nutty Nige Lawson, Jollysilly Jerry Clakson, and Viscount "Mad" Monckton (not a scientific qualification between them, that I'm aware of), that it isn't? Mad Mel is so ignorant that she thinks that the atmosphere is over 70% water vapour (it's actually less than 1% - if it was 70%, we'd need gills to breathe), and Potty Pete apparently doesn't believe in the greenhouse effect, without which the earth would be a frozen lump of rock, unable to support life. They have both said so in the 'Daily Mail'.
You probably don't need me to tell you which side of the debate I'm on.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Global warming

Postby Dodger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:48 pm

While not entirely convinced of the effect humans have on climate ,I agree that the world is warming up .

In any event reducing toxic emissions and cleaning up toxic waste makes sense at all levels ,especially for future generations ,for the health of the worlds population .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby HowlinWolf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm

I don't know about other countries, but in the USA the way it works is, on this or any other issue, the members of Congress would sooner let the country or even the world go to hell in a handbasket before they would voluntarily
a. agree with their opponents
b. betray their corporate paymasters
c. both
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby Dodger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:29 pm

HowlinWolf wrote:I don't know about other countries, but in the USA the way it works is, on this or any other issue, the members of Congress would sooner let the country or even the world go to hell in a handbasket before they would voluntarily
a. agree with their opponents
b. betray their corporate paymasters
c. both

Very cynical HW :lol:

It seems to work just like that here . :roll:
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Hermit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Yes, climate changes.
No, we didn't do it; we can't change it.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/25/greenpeace-co-founder-no-scientific-evidence-of-man-made-global-warming/
Greenpeace co-founder: No scientific evidence of man-made global warming
There is no scientific evidence that human activity is causing the planet to warm, according to Greenpeace co-founder Patrick Moore, who testified in front of a Senate committee on Tuesday.

Moore argued that the current argument that the burning of fossil fuels is driving global warming over the past century lacks scientific evidence. He added that the Earth is in an unusually cold period and some warming would be a good thing.

“There is no scientific proof that human emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) are the dominant cause of the minor warming of the Earth’s atmosphere over the past 100 years,” according to Moore’s prepared testimony. “Today, we live in an unusually cold period in the history of life on earth and there is no reason to believe that a warmer climate would be anything but beneficial for humans and the majority of other species.”
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby acaciavet » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:06 pm

No and tree huggers suk! :lol: Its 14 degrees here I got Global Warming hanging!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby highstump » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:21 pm

I believe it's changing as it has since the beginning. It changes in cycles and humans are simply along for the ride.
Jim

"Mechanical Engineers build weapons, Civil Engineers build targets."
highstump

Postby Bob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:04 pm

Since I'm not a climate expert and haven't studied the data, I agree with Dodger.
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:08 am

In my view, the human species should stop fannying around trying to aportion blame, and actually start looking after the planet just in case we spoil it.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Dodger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:49 am

KevLa wrote:In my view, the human species should stop fannying around trying to aportion blame, and actually start looking after the planet just in case we spoil it.

Hear .Hear .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby acaciavet » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:50 pm

Secerate Videos taken with Hidden Camera our man Kevla in action! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7UzYDQtmM

Kev I love ya like a Canadian Brother!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevinM » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Fellas, I believe the earth is a mighty behemoth and we are insignificant mites on it's hide along for the ride. It twitches a muscle and there is nothing we can do. That being said, I believe we have major glaciation periods every 10,000 years or so, with smaller glaciation/warming trends in between the major events. I really don't believe we have much of an effect on the climate. I could be wrong, but my opinion and a few bucks will buy you a beer at most happy hours around the world :D
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:21 am

KevinM wrote:Fellas, I believe the earth is a mighty behemoth and we are insignificant mites on it's hide along for the ride. It twitches a muscle and there is nothing we can do. That being said, I believe we have major glaciation periods every 10,000 years or so, with smaller glaciation/warming trends in between the major events. I really don't believe we have much of an effect on the climate. I could be wrong, but my opinion and a few bucks will buy you a beer at most happy hours around the world :D

I agree that the earth is huge and we are not intrinsically significant. However, an infestation of mites can cause significant problems for a much larger host. Like you, I am wise enough to admit that I could be wrong, but I believe it is better to err on the side of caution regardless, especially when dealing with something as important as the future of all known life.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to Master Debators