Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Creation Museum

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: Creation Museum

Postby kats » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:12 am

I've never seen it...
I've never touched it...
I've never smelled it...
I've not tasted it...
and I can't hear it...

There is no evidence... :arrow: but I accept on faith that Kev-la has a brain.
:lol:
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:54 pm

kats wrote:I've never seen it...
I've never touched it...
I've never smelled it...
I've not tasted it...
and I can't hear it...

There is no evidence... :arrow: but I accept on faith that Kev-la has a brain.

I agree one hundred per cent, George. Accepting anything as being true, without evidence, requires faith.

1) Neither you nor I have any evidence that I have a brain, but we have faith that I do have a brain. ALL GOOD. :D

2) Neither you nor I have any evdence that a god created everything, but you have faith that a god created everything. AGAIN, ALL GOOD. :D

3) The "creation museum" people accept on faith that a god created everything, and then claim that dinosaur fossils, et cetera, are evidence that a god created everything. That's like me claiming that the fact that you once posted a photograph of yourself doing a 'strongman' impression next to a truck, on this forum, is evidence that I have a brain. BULLSH*T! :lol:
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby aquaholic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:57 pm

KevLa wrote:... That's like me claiming that the fact that you once posted a photograph of yourself doing a 'strongman' impression next to a truck, on this forum, is evidence that I have a brain. BULLSH*T! :lol:

That's my favorite Kats picture!!! :D
~Isaac
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cellar
aquaholic
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:05 pm

aquaholic wrote:That's my favorite Kats picture!!! :D

I can't remember ever seeing any other. Regardless... mine, too! :lol:
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby William » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Now gentlemen, you have my attention.

I've got to see the Kats picture. Please provide a link! :D
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:25 pm

William wrote:Now gentlemen, you have my attention.

I've got to see the Kats picture. Please provide a link! :D

Thy will be done on Tamp & Puff, as it is on Photobucket...
KevLa

Postby William » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks KevLa!

Kats, I bet most of that grass is still stuck in the bagger. :D
The meaning of life becomes irrelevant once I'm smoking my pipe.
William
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:28 pm

William wrote:Thanks KevLa!...

You're welcome! :D
Kev-La.
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:54 pm

bearded1 wrote:Would impirical evidence make a difference? Not to be flippant, but there is strong evidence that a healthy diet and exercise are very good for you and the fast food and soda are bad, there is tons of evidence that drinking and driving is lethal, that there were no WMD's in Iraq and politicians lie...but we chose to believe what we want to believe despite the facts. Faith by it's very ideal requires belief in something you have no knowledge of. Sounds like we all agree on that.

Where do science and God part ways in your opinion? Leave religion out if we can for now. Let's just talk about what part of science eliminates the possibility that it was created?

Funny, I just say evidence doesn't necessarily matter and then I ask for some. Aren't we humans funny sometimes?

Sorry, bearded1, I only just realised that this one was for me :oops:
In my opinion, science is a tool that humans use to try to understand the universe, whereas 'God' is a deity that some humans choose to believe in. The two are not mutually exclusive. And as HowlinWolf has pointed out, the phenomena that we've used science to discover evidence of, could also be the mysterious ways that a god moves in. No part of science eliminates the possibility that the universe was created by a deity or deities.

As an agnostic, I find have no reason to believe in any deity, and no reason to disbelieve in any deity.
As a philosophical skeptic, I find that whereas there is value in scientific findings, they should never be treated as true knowledge i.e. beyond question.
As an individual, I very much dislike so-called 'museums' that are established with the aim of convincing people of utter nonsense such as dinosaur fossils being evidence that a deity created all.
For the sake of clarity, I don't have a problem with creationism. I find it pretty wacky, to be honest, but I concede that it could be that the creationists are 'right'. What I have a problem with is creationists selecting bits of scientific data, out of context, and then pretending that it proves that what is written in (one specific interpretation of one specific version of) the Holy Bible is literal fact.
:)
KevLa

Postby SteveH » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Funny, but depressing at the same time. The evidence for evolution is rock-solid, and getting rock-solider with every new discovery, but these idiots still fill young people's minds with their superstitious nonsense.
I was on a boat once with four pipes, but nothing to light them with, so I threw one overboard, and the boat became a pipe lighter.
My Facebook poetry page.
SteveH
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevinM » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 pm

I find it slightly amusing that creationism seems to have gone from a completely non-evolution belief, to incorporation of "certain" evolutionary theories as the evidence mounts. Talk about being hypocritical at times!!
KevinM
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:26 pm

KevLa

Postby KevLa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am

KevLa

Postby kats » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 am

The latest from science disputes the big bang theory and proposes that the universe always was (infinite).
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby KevLa » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 pm

kats wrote:The latest from science disputes the big bang theory and proposes that the universe always was (infinite).

Really? Interesting... Thanks, Kats :)
KevLa

Postby PipeStoke » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:51 am

kats wrote:The latest from science disputes the big bang theory and proposes that the universe always was (infinite).

I'd be interested in reading about that if you have a source?
PipeStoke

Postby kats » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:16 pm

George
kats

Postby PipeStoke » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks. :)

Well, I've read it and to sum it up, the article you've linked to:

Is one interpretation of one theoretical study, applying one particular branch of science (Quantum Theory) in isolation, proposing one theoretical interpretation of one nature of Dark Energy and applies one theoretical value to one hypothetical particle (the graviton) in one Quantum equation in order to address one element of our understanding of The Big Bang.

The authors of the research however, do not interpret it the way the article you linked to does.

In the original research paper rather than the media mash-up, it doesn't actually claim there was no Big Bang. In fact, it establishes the Big Bang as observed scientific fact. What it does however, is approach an alternative (mathematically theoretic) interpretation of one of the assumptions we make about the Big Bang, namely the point of singularity. The research proposes a quantum equation which makes use of observed and theoretical data to support the possibility of a non-singularity Big Bang.

In short, the research has arrived at an interpretation of known (observed) and theoretical (assumed) data, to say that according to this particular model, it would be possible to have a Big Bang without a singularity.

Most the articles one finds in popular science will misinterpret a statement about non-singularity as being a suggestion that there was no Big Bang, but this isn't the case and the paper quoted makes no such claim. Without the Big Bang, the paper is essentially non-sensical.

We know the universe is expanding and this is quite easily measurable. Hubble proved that back in the 1920s via simple measurement (well, it was a lot of complex work to arrive at the simple measurements, but with the methodology in order, it is relatively simple, based on observation). We also know that the expansion is happening from a point.

That the Big Bang took place, is not in question among anyone seriously studying the universe through any scientific set of principles. What we do not know exactly, is every detail of how it happened (although a lot is known from just after it happened - we even have the background radiation from the 'bang'), what caused it to happen or what came before. New discoveries are made all the time and while there's a lot of talk in the media that 'this re-writes what we thought we knew' that is extremely hyperbolic. Today, when new scientific discoveries are made which cause us to 're-write what we thought we knew' we are talking about a very small part of that field. A 1% change in our understanding of a scientific field would be considered a hugely ground-breaking discovery, even if it doesn't change the remaining 99%.
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 am

I guessed it would be something along those lines. Cheers, PipeStoke :)
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:20 pm

A couple of very funny, very scary videos that I found on YouTube:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xUiuZvUuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uaz9Ks338c4
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to Master Debators