Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Donald Trump

Friendly and intelligent discussion about politics and other controversial topics takes place here. No rules yet. Enter at your own risk. You must request to join "controversy" user group to use this forum.

Re: Donald Trump

Postby PipeStoke » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:57 am

Trump wrote:The people, my people, are so smart and you know what else they say about my people the polls, they say I have the most loyal people.... I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters

I wouldn't normally quote myself, but in context of Trumps latest verbal ejaculations:

PipeStoke wrote:Trump has won the jackpot on that one; in history, there have rarely been a larger group of people willing to be completely manipulated and led around by the nose than is the case in this situation. Trump knows it, and he's realising now that he can do no wrong in this group, as long as he sticks to the inanity.

Trump knows it, he plays to it and in the quote above, he's brazen enough to admit to it in public. He's telling us that his followers are too stupid to question him but that as long as he tells them they are smart, they will keep following. He's telling us that his followers are easily manipulated, because they are too stupid to question him, but if he calls them smart and loyal, they will believe they are the former and continue to be the latter. Perhaps he's right.

He knows what he's doing; telling naive, easily manipulated people they are smart for supporting him. Being naive and easily manipulated, they are lapping it up because it re-affirms everything they need to do, think and believe to build up that mental resistance, which is there only to compensate for what is a monumental lack of self-confidence.

Trump's right about this part of it, of course. He can do whatever he likes, because his followers are not questioning it. They can't question it, because they aren't intellectually capable of doing so without their defenses falling down.

When the mind needs to work non-stop to hinder the intellect from questioning the information it wants to hear, you know emphatically that something is very seriously wrong.

Trump is appealing to the weakest characteristics of the most paranoid and cowardly notions in the smallest people of one of the most easily manipulated electorate-segments in the world.
PipeStoke

Postby gnossos » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:14 pm

I just checked in here for the first time in eons and saw this.

I just want to say what a good chuckle this thread gave me. Here I see someone defend his non-positions by virtue of having served in the coast guard, for which he likely receives continued government-supplied benefits which he accepts with aplomb (and would be apoplectic should they be taken away I'm sure), crowing about how much he hates the government. It's just too much and is exactly the caricature I envision when I think of Trump supporters. People like this are why I would fully support much stricter gun laws.

Carry on.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby acaciavet » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:06 am

gnossos wrote:I just checked in here for the first time in eons and saw this.

I just want to say what a good chuckle this thread gave me. Here I see someone defend his non-positions by virtue of having served in the coast guard, for which he likely receives continued government-supplied benefits which he accepts with aplomb (and would be apoplectic should they be taken away I'm sure), crowing about how much he hates the government. It's just too much and is exactly the caricature I envision when I think of Trump supporters. People like this are why I would fully support much stricter gun laws.

Carry on.

Dear Chucklehead.I served from 1967 to 1971.No benefits no retirement I just did my part. Yes I do hate the Gubment because it has ruined my country.So my friend go P up a rope. Oh by the way the cleaners called your dress is ready!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby TigerJack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 am

[quote

Dear Chucklehead.I served from 1967 to 1971.No benefits no retirement I just did my part. Yes I do hate the Gubment because it has ruined my country.So my friend go P up a rope. Oh by the way the cleaners called your dress is ready![/quote]

A+++ for Chuck LOL
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby gnossos » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:32 am

Lifetime achievement then. Good work my man, your ire and constant reminder of service is well earned.
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 am

Great to 'see' you, Gnossos. Glad you chimed in, mate :D
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby PipeStoke » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Well said, Gnossos.

It seems the way to distinguish between those who think the way Acacia does, and those who do not, is that those who do are afraid of dresses.

It's a funny thing, really. I like it when my wife wears a dress. She's got a great body and great legs, you see (think Kylie Minogue ca. 2000*) and seeing her like that doesn't cause anger or fear to well up in me.

You have to wonder how a fear of dresses motivates a guy to bring it up as a scary example every time someone disagrees with him. I mean, if you've seen combat, surely the sight of a dress shouldn't cause you too much fear. – even if the last time you did anything, either with combat or dresses, was 45 years ago.
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:35 am

When people allow themselves to be convinced of the nonsense that everyone of a specific creed, colour, race, sex etc. is 'bad', it inevitably leads to fear, pain, suffering and/or death.
The wise judge individuals, with thought and without prejudice.
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby PipeStoke » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:40 pm

KevLa,

Wonderfully spoken, both in words and sentiment.

I just wish that some people were less prone to being misled by demagogues selling condescending and simplistic ideologies which aim at nothing more than to keep its proponents in their place through misplaced fear and paranoia.

Trump has nothing to offer, but paranoia, fear, ignorance and threats. And all of them fed to his supporters as an ideology. I have never seen a politician show more outright contempt for his followers than this man.
PipeStoke

Postby KevLa » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Thank you, PipeStoke, that means a great deal coming from someone as eloquent, intelligent, and caring as you :D
KevLa

Postby Hermit » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:53 am

Get a room. :lol:
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:25 am

How very cultured! :roll:
KevLa

Postby PipeStoke » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Apparently, when people on 'our side' agree on something or pay eachother a compliment, homo-erotic images of us wearing dresses and engaging in all sorts of activities spring into the minds of some of those on the 'opposing side.'

It doesn't offend me. I've counted myself a proud ally for two decades or more and I consider that part of a worldview which goes far in defining who I am.

To use the repeated projection on others that they would 'wear a dress' as an insult, equally defines a worldview and a personality wholly unbecoming of anyone with an even moderate intellect.

Thankfully, the world is a colourful place with nuances of each colour unfolding to us everywhere. People, places, lives lived and relationships formed and experienced in a multitude of ways; thoughts, dreams, artful expression, scientific endeavour and ever greater understanding of the condition we know as 'being human,' are everywhere developing to be explored by, and from, all walks of life.

Intolerance to any of that is terrorism. There is no other word for it, because it seeks to dictate to others how they should live their lives without regard for the fact that no-one stands to lose from accepting it. Al Qaeda, Taliban, and more recently as well as more rigidly ISIS, are all best defined as organisations which reject anything that lies outside the confines of their dark, limited and frankly sinister values. As are the views espoused by Trump and his followers. There is precious little difference between these ideologies and Trump is everything ISIS have been praying for over the past several years. Trump is their wet dream, their greatest recruitment tool and the perfect poster boy to encourage feeble and impressionable minds to join their cause. Because whether it's one side or another, feeble and impressionable minds are the ones who join; they are the ones who will accept, at face value, any statement — the more simplistic and divisive the better — because it furnishes their minds with an IKEA solution; one look at a page in the brochure and you know where everything goes — no individual intellect required. If the individual intellectual effort was applied, it would unravel. The divisiveness is instrumental as it gives leave to apply an 'us-and-them' logic. If it comes from 'us', it is right while if it comes from 'them' it is wrong. There is no need to further consider the merit of any opposing argument.

I have little regard for the 'left wing'/'right wing' argument in this. in their fundamentalist form, both are progenitors of intellectual exclusion. There is no room for dissent and there is no room for moderation or compromise. Trump easily falls within fundamentalist right-wing ideology. There is very little room for him to move further in that direction without falling over the edge, so to speak, into a dark abyss the likes of which we have thankfully not seen for some decades. Sadly, and Trump called this one himself, he can do and say absolutely anything he likes and his followers will go with him. That's the extent to which he has succeeded in exploiting the political iron curtain that has been drawn through American politics during the past couple of decades.

Trump didn't start it; he's not an instigator or an originator. He wouldn't have that in him. What he is however, is someone who is extremely skilled at seeing an opportunity and seizing it. The opportunity in this case is that political iron curtain, and that on one side of it, is an audience ripe for someone cynical and shallow enough to exploit it for its feebleness and convince it that its feebleness is a strength.

Sadly, much of the rhetoric occasioned by that iron curtain is being willfully imported by many other nations around the world right now, exchanging what was formerly political debate with insipid grandstanding, designed to create divisions in society where previously there was the ability to find the most crucial element to any political, and indeed human, interaction; common ground.

That took me through half a bowl of Jack-knife plug in a Peterson 314, the rest of which I now intend to enjoy unmolested by thoughts of Trump.
PipeStoke

Postby acaciavet » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Hermit i see the Bowery boys are up tonight!
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby PipeStoke » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:58 am

acaciavet wrote:Hermit i see the Bowery boys are up tonight!

Thank you for proving my point so utterly and completely that it makes you look like a planted stooge. That was very generous of you, acaciapet.
PipeStoke

Postby Hermit » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:25 am

More personal attacks from the "tolerant left." :lol:

They only "tolerate" each other.

Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby PipeStoke » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:12 am

Where's the personal attack, Hermit, other than in your post?
PipeStoke

Postby Hermit » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:24 am

PipeStoke wrote:Where's the personal attack, Hermit, other than in your post?

Without going back too far, there's this: "planted stooge" "acaciapet."

As for me, whom did I attack?
I challenge you to find a single post of mine in which I disparage another member or call anyone a name.
Whenever anyone disagrees with you, they are accused of "hatred."
Make America Great Again
Hermit
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby KevLa » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:39 am

Hermit wrote:Get a room. :lol:

Perhaps PipeStoke and myself have misunderstood you. Would you care to explain what you meant by the above?
KevLa

Postby KevLa » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:48 am

I'm not referring to people alleged to have committed sexual abuse, here. I am referring to men, women and children who, through no fault of their own, have found their homeland unsafe to live in, and are therefore forced to look for somewhere else to live.
KevLa

PreviousNext

Return to Master Debators