Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Hello from west sussex

Please introduce yourself before posting. New members who have not introduced themselves may be mistaken for spammers and may be unable to post elsewhere.

Hello from west sussex

Postby Roabman1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Hello,

I bought a ROAB BULL meerschaum pipe in oxfam yesterday. I uploaded a couple of pics on imgur. havent figured out how to put the link on here (on mobile at the moment).

Haven't got any baccy yet. it might be a while, things are a bit tight at the moment. really looking forward to using it.

have cleaned it with white spirit, washing up liquid pipe cleaners ear buds cloths. there is still a faint smell of white spirit, hopefully that should go in time.

my id is simonpeters9000 on imgur.

great site. really enjoying read the posts.
Roabman1

Re: Hello from west sussex

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Nice to find a secondhand pipe like that. Meerschaum pipes are good. Well done for spotting it.
As to cleaning, the white spirit will be much too strong and you will have to check about that odour before lighting the pipe.
For future cleaning, if you can get hold of Isopropyl (alcohol based) from a tobacconist (online or actual), use that to clean and sanitise the pipe. Dip some cleaners in it and run through the stem and inner drawhole. Check the inner bowl and see if it is ok, with no cracks etc.

I’d advise you to avoid the spirit and washing up liquid in future. A pipe certainly needs care and attention but don’t use these solvents and liquids. The Isopropyl is safe to use, though I’d not smoke the pipe for a day after using it, to allow it to fully evaporate.
A good supply of pipe cleaners is essential too!

Keep us informed as to how you get on. I’m hoping that spirit odour can disappear. You sound like a UK person (Oxfam). If you want some tobacco easily available at the moment, try your local large supermarket. They sell a couple of blends, though each store will vary. Is there a tobacconist near you? If not, let me know. I can provide details of current tobacconists in the UK.
Good luck and happy smoking.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Some more advice if you want it.

Add some whisky to the bowl and allow it to soak in for a couple of days. Cotton wool is a good holding agent for this. Discard then repeat. This may take off the odour. The white spirit residue is something I’d be concerned about here.
Alternatively, use a few drops of Isopropyl and then light it to burn off any residue. Leave for a couple of days before smoking.

As Meerschaum is very porous, it will absorb any liquid. The Isopropyl usually evaporates but the burning off will get rid of it quicker. If possible, with a Meer, the best thing is to really not use anything that can soak in.
Did you apply the solvents to the outside or inner bowl?

Once again, good luck with things and let us know how you get on.
Steve
Geo3rge

Postby Roabman1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice. It was the tip that smelt of WS. I only dipped a cloth soaked in it into the bowl.

I soaked the tip in a cup of washing up liquid and bicar onate of soda which seems to have largely got rid of the smell and taste.

I ordered a 5g batch of squadron leader from smoks king last night. should be with me in a few days.

I was wondering about the cake in the bowl. how do i tell when i have got rid of it and there's just the pipe?

Also i was curious as to how old it may be? Thanks
Roabman1

Postby Roabman1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 pm

I ordered a 5g sample of Squadron Leader on Sunday night. It arrived this morning!!

When I first smelt it I didn't think I'd like it. I did. very relaxing. re lit it loads of times. didn't get tongue bite, although i probably smoked it too fast.

got some long matches now so i'm all sorted. the smell of white spurit is gone too. happy days!

I'm looking forward to trying all the other types and brands of pipe and tobaccos.
Roabman1

Postby Geo3rge » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:23 am

Glad the Squadron Leader has arrived. That is one of the very few tobaccos containing Latakia that I can smoke with some enjoyment! Some love Latakia, others don’t, each to their own here. Hope you can enjoy it.
As to cake, with a Meer, you need to be really careful when trying to remove it. Too much pressure might crack or break the bowl, so some advice I’ve received is to wrap a bit of very fine sandpaper around a dowel or even pencil and then use this to slowly and carefully smooth back the cake, using circular movements. I’m not sure how much cake you have. If you try to use a knife or tool, it might just be too heavy or hard an implement. With a Meer, the surface should begin to show a little, though it will be discolored. Don’t overdo the sanding pressure.
Good luck with this.
Unable to give an age for the pipe. Sorry.
Enjoy the tobacco and any others you get. Happy smoking.
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Also, it's worth noting that once you have removed as much cake as possible, you should be cleaning out the bowl with a dry tissue after every smoke to prevent more cake from building up. A meerschaum pipe should be smoked with a naked chamber :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Roabman1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I got it wrong, it's not a meerschaum, but a Briar. It has a brown wooden appearance. At least from looking at lots of RAOB Bull head pipes that's what I think anyway.

I think I'll get a corn cob next so that I can try lots of different tobaccos with it.

Thanks again.
Roabman1

Postby KevLa » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:15 pm

Oh, a cob or cheap briar is a much better fit for a new pipe-smoker. If you take to the habit, you should give a meerschaum a go at a later stage, though; they can be superb smokers :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Wizhunter » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:28 am

Welcome to the forum, there is an abundance of information on here and the guys are always willing to help, there are Briar bowls that are Meerschaum lined but they are quite expensive or the ones i have seen are. I am pretty new here myself and have only been smoking the pipe for roughly a month, the first 2 weeks or more were a struggle, couldn't get my packing right and having to relight it every 2 minutes, the guys on here said it would come right in the end, and they were right.
Enjoy your stay

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby Roabman1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:25 am

I am going to get a corn cob next. And a meerschaum at some point. Encouraging to hear about your experience wiz. cheers
Roabman1

Postby ratatosk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:06 am

Geo3rge wrote:Glad the Squadron Leader has arrived. That is one of the very few tobaccos containing Latakia that I can smoke with some enjoyment! Some love Latakia, others don’t, each to their own here. Hope you can enjoy it.

First, welcome to the forum Roabman1, please feel free to ask about anything that comes to mind.

Second, all of this chatter about Squadron Leader reminded me that in May, 2015, smokingpipes.com arranged with Gawith to do a an exclusive run of 2,000 special edition tins that also contain perique per the original formula. I bought 10 numbered tins as an investment, smoked one of them, then completely forgot about it.

If I can figure out what I did with the balance, I will open another one, should be quite nice after 2.5 years. I will eventually sell off most of them in one way or another, they should bring $50+ each under the right circumstances. More to the point, I also smoke normal Squadron Leader now and then and have 250g bulk of that on hand, but the special edition is much better to my tastes.

The great thing about getting older is that every day yields a surprise because your memory just doesn't work as well as it used to. :)
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby Geo3rge » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 am

“The great thing about getting older is that every day yields a surprise because your memory just doesn't work as well as it used to. “

I can identify with that, Richard! The brain is still switched on, I’m glad to say...one of the things I’m doing is continuing with my workload (recently increased) now that I’m in ‘retirement ‘. Just keeps the grey cells ticking over, but I have noticed subtle changes...
Good job we have our pipes to fall back on...
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:24 am

I like the positive perspective, gentlemen. Keep it up! :)
KevLa

Return to Introductions