Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Account Issues - ATTN: Admins & Mods

Please introduce yourself before posting. New members who have not introduced themselves may be mistaken for spammers and may be unable to post elsewhere.

Account Issues - ATTN: Admins & Mods

Postby Nomad » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Posting here in the hope that it doesn't get pre-moderated.

To admin and moderators...

I've been having some trouble with my account, where everything I post has to be pre- approved, and I'm not able to send PMs. I registered over a year ago, but didn't start using my account after my introductory post until recently. I'm starting to wonder if this has something to do with forum settings related to preventing new registrations, or some related effect on the Newly Registered Users group.

Regarding PMs, I cannot reply to any because there is no button to do so. If I try to compose a new message in the PM section, I get a notice saying that this facility isn't available to me.

I checked the user groups that I'm a member of: Newly Registererd Users, and Registered Users.

Unless the way my account is functioning is normal for here, I would suggest removing me from Newly Registered Users. This should leave me with whatever permissions apply to registered users, which should mean that use of PMs and being able to post without pre-moderation should function normally.

From my experience of running PHPBB forums, a new user should automatically transition from one group to the other when they reach some threshold criterion (usually number of posts, set somewhere in the admin's forum configuration settings). I have a feeling that this hasn't happened, or maybe something hasn't worked correctly, such that I am still a member of Newly Registered Users, and that whatever restrictions are currently applied to that user group are overriding the same things in Registered Users (such as ability to use PMs, posting without being pre-moderated).
Nomad

Re: Account Issues - ATTN: Admins & Mods

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:19 am

I removed the restrictions for new member posts a week ago. I'll look into it again tonight? I will remove you from the new member group. Hope that works. Did you receive my PM?

Bob
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Nomad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Bob. Yes, I got your PM, but there is no button to reply. The section for composing a new message still has the banner saying I can't use the PM system.

The user groups tab in my profile still shows both Newly Registered Users and Registered Users. It also shows the Controversy group. I joined this (no apparent delay or need for pre-approval) to see if the Master Debaters section it refers to might allow me to post without pre-moderation, but no such area appears in the forum index (or anything else that's different from how it was before). It does show that I'm now a member of the Controversy group (it moved from the lower panel to the upper panel). The only thing that shows as a non-membership is Plank Owner.

My initial post in this thread was pre-moderated, so no change there. If this post goes through without pre-moderation, I'll immediately add another to confirm.

Are you able to send me an email rather than a PM? (I assume a button appears somewhere to do this.)
Nomad

Postby Nomad » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:22 pm

My last post in here seems to have gone astray, and I can't quite recall what I wrote. Still showing as a member of Newly Registered Users.
Nomad

Postby Nomad » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 am

My last two (I think) posts in this thread seem to have not made it to the forum. I still can't send PMs, and I'm still a member of Newly Registered Users. Is there some issue with my account, or is this standard for all accounts? Could a mod or admin please update me on this?
Nomad

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:39 pm

Nomad wrote:My last two (I think) posts in this thread seem to have not made it to the forum. I still can't send PMs, and I'm still a member of Newly Registered Users. Is there some issue with my account, or is this standard for all accounts? Could a mod or admin please update me on this?

I'm not sure why this is the case. I will have a look and see what I can do. I have checked your account and you are on the Registered Users list.
Hopefully we can straighten things out. I'm sorry that you have had this difficulty, Nomad.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby Nomad » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:46 am

Any update on this? I'm still showing as a member of Newly Registered Users and Registered Users.
Nomad

Postby Nomad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Just a little test to hopefully verify that my account is now okay...

EDIT: Yep!
Nomad

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Down as 'Registered', Nomad, so up and running.
Phew!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to Introductions