Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

G'day from Australia

Please introduce yourself before posting. New members who have not introduced themselves may be mistaken for spammers and may be unable to post elsewhere.

G'day from Australia

Postby Richo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:32 am

So I'm looking forward to next weekend when I'll officially be a pipe smoker. My wife has an old Peterson pipe waiting for me on my birthday next week. Really looking forward to it! I've been reading as much as I can on tobacco reviews and suggestions. Looks like my local tobacconist has very few choices on hand so I'll have to make the best choice from what's on hand. Erinmore Flake looks to be the pick of the handful. Anyway I'm looking forward to learning a lot more here!
Richo

Re: G'day from Australia

Postby Geo3rge » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 am

Hello, Richo. Good to hear from you. That's a nice event to look forward to and how nice also to see your wife is supportive of your pipe smoking-to-be! Hope you will enjoy it. Petersons are good pipes and Erinmore Flake isn't a bad tobacco either!
Let us know how you get on with your first few puffs and don't be shy to ask any questions about anything and everything.
I understand that in Australia choice is quite limited for the pipe smoker, so good luck with buying further pipes and tobaccos. Online might be the way forward if local tobacconists cannot supply what you want.

Have a look at sites for the huge range of pipes and tobaccos; if you are new to all of this, the range can be bewildering, but take your time, try several blends to begin with (if your tobacconist is up for it, ask for a sampler pack of various blends - they usually come in small sizes and so you can smoke a range of tobaccos without having to buy whole tins or pouches).

As for pipes, again your tobacconist may sell only a few, so online is the answer. Do you know of a pipe smokers' forum or club in Australia? One way of enjoying it even more is to meet with fellow smokers. Just a thought.

All the best as you start out. Those early days will be quite special for you.
Don't be surprised if the pipe goes out - it will do so anyway! Practise filling (packing) the bowl for a free draw, not too loose or tight, apply the initial light steadily until the top of the tobacco has been scorched, tamp (press) down (with finger or tool) and light again, puff slowly, don't puff hard and fast (tobacco will get hot, taste bad and you'll burn your tongue) and try to get the taste of the smoke. Keep it up!
Lots of other advice that would be too long for this article! Get reading some of the articles (including past ones) on here...
Lots of great videos on YouTube as well.
Best wishes, happy smoking!
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby Dodger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Welcome aboard .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:00 pm

G'day, and welcome! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Richo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:44 am

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm a reformed (mostly) cigarette smoker lol. Have been partial to the odd cigar or two and thought this was the most involved and therefore most engaging form of smoking going. Combine that with my love of DIY and my trade in Fitting and Machining and you'll no doubt see some pipes being made shortly. Lol. I'm a passionate archer, shooter and hunter. I am a mazer (I make mead) and love doing as much DIY as possible. Thanks for the tips so far. I look forward to this journey and exploring this beautiful pastime.
Richo

Postby KevLa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 am

Do you hunt plentiful animals and kill them without causing avoidable suffering? And do you do this purely for food, or because you consider it "sport"?
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Richo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:09 pm

G'day Ke. Naturally as a hunter I take pride in a clean ethical kill. No sane person enjoys causing suffering to an animal. I don't only hunt for food. I hunt to reduce the number of feral animals here in Australia. All our legal game species are introduced with all our native wildlife protected without special permits. I also hunt for food and I hunt because it's my culture as well. If you'd like to see how some anti hunters care to communicate with me and to judge for yourself what I do then I invite you to check out my FBpage.

https://m.facebook.com/AussieRicho/
Richo

Return to Introductions