Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Hello from Yorkshire

Please introduce yourself before posting. New members who have not introduced themselves may be mistaken for spammers and may be unable to post elsewhere.

Hello from Yorkshire

Postby Wizhunter » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi
Not much good at these introduction things but here goes, my name is Tim but most people who know me call me Wiz (old computer gaming name that stuck). I live in Leeds and have been trying to smoke a pipe for the last 3 or 4 days so pretty new to it, i smoked roll ups for over 40 years but actually wanted to stop smoking, had no thoughts on smoking a pipe, tried the e-cigs but waste of money so tried a pipe, i thought it was going to be easier but packing it right and getting the charring light is a bit of a struggle, although today my pipe stayed lit for over 30 minutes and i was well pleased. I am using mainly corn cobs at the moment because they are a bit more forgiving i am told, although my sister found me a Falcon pipe in a junk shop for a couple of quid this morning, think it will need a good clean so will be looking for some advice on that. Look forward to getting to know some of you along the way.
Happy piping
Wiz
Wizhunter

Re: Hello from Yorkshire

Postby Geo3rge » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Tim,

Hello to you. Apologies as I have only just found your post and, in reply to your question in another post, didn’t realise you had posted here.

Good to hear from you! Looks like you’ve caught the pipe bug! A cob is a good one to start with. Condor? Nice blend, quite strong and there are lots of others to try as well. The Falcon is a good pipe. Get some pipe cleaners and something called isopropyl-a cleaner (available from tobacconists) that you can dip the pipe cleaners in and run through the Falcon stem a couple of times to clean and sterilize the innards.

I know a couple of pipe smokers in and around your area.

The advice right now is to just practise with those pipes! Filling, lighting, puffing and, equally importantly, cleaning.
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new pastime! I’m sure folk here will contribute to help you along the way.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Welcome aboard, Wiz :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Wizhunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys, i am actually from Leeds but can't get out much due to health reasons, i smoke roll ups and really wanted to just quit but with over 40 years as a smoker it's not as easy as saying it. I tried the e-cigs but they didn't really fit so i was watching something on the telly and the fella was smoking a pipe and i thought why not. I did think it was a case of bang the baccy in the pipe light it and then your done, how wrong was i lol. Gonna have another go at packing one so i will catch you guys in a while.
Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:18 pm

I gave up roll-up cigarettes for the pipe; one of the best things I've ever done. It takes time to adjust, but keep at it, and you will succeed. You'll come gradually to appreciate pipe-smoking more and more. Just remember: DON'T INHALE! ;)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Wizhunter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:07 pm

The not inhaling i was quite surprised about, when i can manage to keep my pipe lit long enough i don't actually have the urge to inhale, just need to get my packing right. Iam sure it will come one day :)
Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Every new pipe-smoker has those teething problems with filling and keeping it lit. A lot of it is just practice. Don't be afraid to keep relighting, with a gentle tamp now and then. Also, try using finger to partially cover bowl while taking a puff ;)
KevLa

Postby Wizhunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Couldn't get my head round the 3 step method so tried the Frank method and it was a lot better, not perfected it but i actually feel like i am getting somewhere now, will stick with it now :)

Wiz
Wizhunter

Postby KevLa » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

That's it, dude; go with what works for you :)
KevLa

Return to Introductions