Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Storing Cigars in Jars?

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

Storing Cigars in Jars?

Postby 12toneman » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Can I store cigars in a jar the same way I do with pipe tobacco? Why use a humidor?
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Re: Storing Cigars in Jars?

Postby HowlinWolf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:13 pm

A friend of mine is a cigar smoker. He keeps his cigars in one of those plastic barrels with the screw on top that pretzels come in. I guess you could say that he's far from pretentious about it :lol:

BTW to hear him tell it, it's standard procedure for cigar smokers to add PG :shock: to the water they use in their humidifier. His humidifier is a chunk of sponge glued to the lid of the pretzel barrel.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby HowlinWolf » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:29 pm

p.s. it seems like one of those glass or stainless kitchen canisters with the wire bail and a rubber gasket would be just about poyfect for the job, if using a jar in the first place is OK.
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby TigerJack » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 am

Hi bud, Jars work great.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby 12toneman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:07 am

brim325 wrote:Hi bud, Jars work great.

thanks, good to know...so why use a humidor if cigars will keep in a jar the same way pipe tobacco does?
...what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe.
12toneman

Postby TigerJack » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:11 am

12toneman wrote:
brim325 wrote:Hi bud, Jars work great.

thanks, good to know...so why use a humidor if cigars will keep in a jar the same way pipe tobacco does?

Well I don't use a humidor.Jars work great for all types of tobacco, so long as it has proper moisture to start with.
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby ragefather » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:42 am

Couple points:

You need to ensure the humidity stays in the good range for cigars, which is more difficult with cigars than pipe tobacco. If you open a jar and close a jar, the humidity will fluctuate greatly and your cigars will rely only on your humidification device. With cigars being in the 65% range they are more prone to mold. Especially if you are using an airtight container. Cigars also have the risk of a cigar beetle outbreak. That's where Spanish cedar comes into play. It is better against mold and beetles than any other wood and holds the most moisture. The benefit is that when you open your humidor, the cedar will help keep the environment stable.

Whether your humidor is traditional or not you should at the very least have a good humidification device, I prefer Boveda packets, a digital hygrometer and some Spanish cedar. I cannot recommend air tight humidors like a mason jar, however. I find them hard to maintain humidity, in fact going much higher than wanted and causing mold. I also think they prohibit cigar aging, but I don't have any source on that. One thing I do know is that cigars are little bitches when it comes to humidity.
ragefather

Postby CountryGentleman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 pm

12toneman wrote:Can I store cigars in a jar the same way I do with pipe tobacco? Why use a humidor?

12T, I remember seeing in a Thompson Cigar catalog years ago a small disposible gel humidifier that was designed to be placed on the top of Ball jars to allow you to store cigars in them long term. Dunno if they're still made as I stopped regularly smoking cigars 5+ years ago.
-Dave
CountryGentleman

Postby HowlinWolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm

ragefather wrote:Cigars also have the risk of a cigar beetle outbreak.

:shock: GAK ! :shock:
HowlinWolf
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby FightnHampsters » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:15 pm

Awesome post! I was wondering this same thing.

So, if I may be permitted another question, If I was going to store a cigar for a long time (6-12 months) then a jar would work ok as long as I did not open it?
FightnHampsters

Postby ragefather » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:22 pm

FightnHampsters wrote:Awesome post! I was wondering this same thing.

So, if I may be permitted another question, If I was going to store a cigar for a long time (6-12 months) then a jar would work ok as long as I did not open it?

I haven't tried this, so I don't know. But I do know if you have cigars AND a humidification device in an air tight container, you will most likely get mold.

From what I understand about how mason jars work with pipe tobacco, as long as the cigar is in a good humidity, between 60-70% when you jar it, it should be in that range when you open the jar.
ragefather

Postby FightnHampsters » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

ragefather wrote:
FightnHampsters wrote:Awesome post! I was wondering this same thing.

I haven't tried this, so I don't know. But I do know if you have cigars AND a humidification device in an air tight container, you will most likely get mold.

From what I understand about how mason jars work with pipe tobacco, as long as the cigar is in a good humidity, between 60-70% when you jar it, it should be in that range when you open the jar.

Sounds good, Thanks! :D

I am going on vacation and think that a cigar would be good where a pipe would be inconvenient. But if I don't use it I want to be able to store it for the future.
FightnHampsters

Postby stonewolf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 am

The problem with cigar jars or useing any kind of jar other then humidity is the stress of storeing a cigar on end will cause the wrap the break crack or un wind ... or if moved a bunch the end faceing down will "fray"
stonewolf

Return to Other Tobacco Products