Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Liga Privada No. 9

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

Liga Privada No. 9

Postby ragefather » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 pm

I just had my first cigar in months and I decided to go with one I had never smoked, but carries a ton of hype in the cigar world, Drew Estates Liga Privada No. 9. I got this from Perettis for 12 plus tax.

If you've never seen one before it is a beautiful dark and oily cigar and the construction is amazing. Once lit, white smoke pours off the foot and lasts the entire smoke. The draw was a little restricted, but that didn't prevent me from getting tons of smoke. To me it was a complex smoke with the major flavors being dark chocolate and coffee. This is a truly fantastic smoke. It reminded me again why I love cigars and to not sit on my humidor of about 150. If you are a cigar smoker and haven't tried one, do yourself a favor and get one.

Anyone else had this? Thoughts?
ragefather

Re: Liga Privada No. 9

Postby drl » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:19 pm

I've been kind of turned off by all the hype and haven't tried them but suppose I should get around to it, maybe they really are God's gift to cigar smokers. My local cigar shops only have the undercrown ones, and I just can't be bothered to seek out HTF cigars when there are so many good ones I haven't tried yet that are easily available.
Dave
drl

Postby winston » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:25 pm

LP #9's are on my top 3 list. They are one of the best cigars on the market behind Padron 1964 & 1926. IMO. Awesome Smoke!
winston

Postby ragefather » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I agree that the hype turned me off a bit, and that's why it has taken me so long to try one. But after just one smoke I'd say its top three as well. It certainly isn't the best cigar if ever smoked, that distinction goes to Arturo Fuente's Anejo 50, but this is a special smoke. I have had several Undercrowns and they are great smokes too and about 1/3 less in price. Do yourself a favor and try one of these, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Winston, I agree with you on the Padrons and would put the 1964 neck and neck with this one to round out my top 3.
ragefather

Postby SeaRun » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:44 pm

I have a friend who believes these are the best smokes out there. But I haven't tried one.

I just can't get past the fact they're made by Drew Estate, the makers of Acid cigars.

Jamie

PS: I will agree with statements regarding Padron. Across all lines as a manufacturer, Padron ranks top of my list, from the X000 series to the Anni's, wonderful smokes all across.
SeaRun

Postby 4nogginsmike » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm

I've read the Ramon Bueso's Genesis: the Project, a $5.00 cigar, favorably compares to the LP 9. I've got both; we'll see.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Postby stormwulf133 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Well Drew sold out to Swisher, so that makes it even worse. Still they are/were good cigars. I think I will stick to my Don Pepin Blue lable
XIKAR 4 LIFE!
stormwulf133

Postby Desolbones » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:05 am

I've smoked a few LP9, found others that deliver Chocolate/Maduro with complexity better and sometimes at a better price point. La Flor Domincana- Cabinet Maduro and Oscuro can be found for $9/10, Defazio makes a fantastic Maduro Torepdo that fall in the same range, Fuente - Hemingway Maduros from the Short Story to the Masterpiece can be found for less than $12. I do love a chocolatey maduro and there are many to be found. I'm not trying to take away anything from the LP9, It largely lives up to the hype....bravo!
There are cigars out there that deliver the same profile, sometimes better and often for less (less spent on the hype).
Steps off the soapbox and melts into the crowd
Greg
Crowd left the thread years ago, couldn't read the date on my sundial
Desolbones

Postby 4nogginsmike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I don't know why but when I smoke cigars I smoke less but up. Thus I've smoked:

Liga Privada 9
T52
Don Carlos
Padron '26
Anejo

These are great cigars but way too much money except as a lark.

My sweet spot is about $7 or $8.00, Don Pepin Original (Blue) or Avo, but I typically pay ~$4.00 for them on cigarbid. I will still pay retail for a pipe if I'm holding, but again ebay auction is clearly the way to go.
Pipe smoking: the most cultivated taking of tobacco; a good friend and a sublime addiction; but give me a cigar, too. But so expensive: smoke up and smoke less.
4nogginsmike

Return to Other Tobacco Products