Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Am I up to snuff?

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

Re: Am I up to snuff?

Postby SenatorXMG » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 am

Ok...order came in on Friday! Yahoo!

First attempt was the GH Kendal Brown. Took only a very small amount which may have lessened the experience a little. I was trying to err on the side of caution. Nice at first but didn't last all that long. Seemed mild but maybe I didn't take enough.

Next was the Wilsons Grand Cairo this morning. Used quite a bit more and felt the stinging throughout my nasal cavity...the stinging was short-lived and I wouldn't necessarily say it was bad. I liked this one! Liked it enough to do it another 3 times today.

I can't say I feel much of a nicotine effect...maybe it's a lightweight snuff, though. Definitely like the aroma.

I seem to haven no problems with the actual technique of getting the snuff in the right place...although once I felt it hit the back of the throat a little. Not too sure I'm using enough or too much at one time. Only time and experience will tell.

One thing I'm not too fussy on is the brown runny nose...can't they make snuff pasty-white skin coloured?? Ha ha! I may stick with the Grand Cairo and the Kendal Brown for awhile just to get the hang of it.
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby BladeBoy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 am

SenatorXMG wrote:Ok...order came in on Friday! Yahoo!

First attempt was the GH Kendal Brown. Took only a very small amount which may have lessened the experience a little. I was trying to err on the side of caution. Nice at first but didn't last all that long. Seemed mild but maybe I didn't take enough.

Next was the Wilsons Grand Cairo this morning. Used quite a bit more and felt the stinging throughout my nasal cavity...the stinging was short-lived and I wouldn't necessarily say it was bad. I liked this one! Liked it enough to do it another 3 times today.

I can't say I feel much of a nicotine effect...maybe it's a lightweight snuff, though. Definitely like the aroma.

I seem to haven no problems with the actual technique of getting the snuff in the right place...although once I felt it hit the back of the throat a little. Not too sure I'm using enough or too much at one time. Only time and experience will tell.

One thing I'm not too fussy on is the brown runny nose...can't they make snuff pasty-white skin coloured?? Ha ha! I may stick with the Grand Cairo and the Kendal Brown for awhile just to get the hang of it.

Helluva first order Senator, I agree Grand Cairo is good stuff and does have some burn, the Viking and Grunt are the highest in nicotine on your list, I transferred all my 25g tins into the small size baby food jars, it's a perfect fit and they stay fresh that way.
BladeBoy

Postby kats » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:14 am

Sounds like a great start... technique is not nearly so complex and subjective as the pipe is. 8-)

Grand Cairo is my favorite (of what I've tried) and, yea, it does have that initial sting = not bad - but there for sure.

Enjoy!
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby ScotsJim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:14 am

SenatorXMG wrote:One thing I'm not too fussy on is the brown runny nose...can't they make snuff pasty-white skin coloured?? Ha ha!

That's the reason that coloured / pattered snuff handkerchiefs are made Bryan.

http://www.the-tobacconist.co.uk/acc_ch ... uct_id=163

Enjoy your snuffing matey :)
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby barredbenny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:58 am

The running of your nose might evolve as you get more used to snuff. For me, it varies a lot with the type of snuff as well. For example, toasts turn my nose quite dry and I just use my hankerchief for dusting my nose, never for blowing out. However, when I am using coarse snuffs, I need to frequently blow out or risk a brown snotty nose :D

I also find that when I have a few drinks, my nose stops running all together. Weird stuff eh?

I am happy you are having fun with it. Oh and give this a try - take bigger pinches than you think you need. It makes for more comfortable snuffing!
Pinch taker in residence.
barredbenny

Location: London town, where the streets are paved with gold...

Postby RompinDonkey » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:42 pm

barredbenny wrote:
I am happy you are having fun with it. Oh and give this a try - take bigger pinches than you think you need. It makes for more comfortable snuffing!

I found that as well. Small pinches make me sneeze.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Other Tobacco Products