Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Am I up to snuff?

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

Am I up to snuff?

Postby SenatorXMG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Ok...never tried the stuff before and really don't require another obsession/addiction....but I thought I'd jump right into snuff. Yee haw!

First order was placed through mrsnuff.com yesterday...now showing shipped! Woot!

Here's what is in the order:

Toque Whisky and Honey 25g
Toque Quit 25g
Viking Spear 25g
FUBAR Grunt 25g
Samuel Gawith Black Coffee 25g
Toque Spanish Gem 25g
Fribourg & Treyer High Dry Toast 25g
Fribourg & Treyer Macouba 25g
Fribourg & Treyer Princes Special 25g
Wilsons Grand Cairo 25g
Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown 25g
Wilsons Best Dark 25g

Other than seeing some of these snuffs mentioned here, I really have no idea what I'm to expect! ;-) Heck...I don't even know how to do snuff. I enjoy a good nic hit and thought this woukd be good for the office.
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Re: Am I up to snuff?

Postby cakeanddottle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:22 pm

My $.02. Toasts are challenging, you need to work on your technique. Beyond toasts, I really hate the ultra fine grind of Toque. That's just me. Plus it seems to me like their target market is the point of sale at the liquor store, for kids who might pick up a bullet of snuff before going to the club. I do not consider them a serious snuff producer in the same league as Samuel Gawith, Wilsons and Gawith Hoggarth.

The SG, GH and Wilsons med-coarse through coarse ground snuffs are a joy to take. You can take massive pinches easily, and they blow out more cleanly later on. They also score big in excellence of tobacco which I assume we're all tobacco lovers here, and good scenting where used. I love all three makers, but that's my preference. Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown is my desert island snuff, followed by F&T Princes and Santo Domingo.

The Indian stuff, meh. I do think 6 Photo Medicated No. 66 is the most excellent medicated in the world. They hit it out of the park with that one, but the rest don't excite me. Generally ultra fine flour, which is a pain in the ass to take and dries out more quickly in your snuff box than a coarse flour.

Find what you like, figure out a pace that doesn't make you overdose on nicotine, and start filling 4oz mason jars! Bulk is where it's at in terms of freshness, and most snuff is approx. 11-18 cents/gram when you buy bulk. Extraordinarily economical. Do not trust your open tins. They do a terrible job of keeping your snuff fresh, and moisture content is even more crucial with snuff than it is with pipe tobacco. Good luck and enjoy.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby SenatorXMG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Best way to store open 25g tins? I'm assuming when my order arrives I'll be like a kid in a candy store and want to sample every one!

Could I simply place the tin in a wide mouth mason jar? Could I put multiple tins together in one jar...or will the blends begin to marry over time?

I already have a tobacco cellar of almost 50lbs with many of it in mason jars...I really don't want to go too crazy on snuff. Famous last words, I know! ;-)
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby cakeanddottle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm

I would invest $8 in a flat of 4oz mason jars. They're perfect for snuff.
~Mike
I would find the removal of CH to be akin to removal of oxygen from the atmosphere -morleysson
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives -Ronald Reagan
cakeanddottle

Postby drl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Looks like a nice variety to start off with. I'm sure you can find a lot of info about technique online, but the biggest thing is to just keep in mind is that you're trying to get the snuff into your nose... not way deep into your sinuses or into your lungs! As Mike alluded to, you have to be careful in that regard with stuff like toasts and scotches that are fine and dry as they can be difficult to control. Most of the Toque stuff is pretty fine too as he said (though they tend to be much more moist and easier to take than most toasts, in my experience). I like toasts and scotches a lot, and to me they're good for at work or similar situations as they're less likely to create an unsightly drip or clumping in the nose than the coarser and moister stuff.

I don't share Mike's dislike of Toque but YMMV - I think they produce some fantastic snuffs and don't mind the grind. But they definitely don't have that same old-timey feel and presentation you get with the major Brit producers. Toque's small tins have the best design for staying fresh, too. In terms of storing your stuff, Mike is quite right about bulk. For my tins, I keep them all together in a big, high-quality food storage thingy that has an airtight seal and locks - top quality tupperware I guess you'd call it, I can't remember the brand. I don't think they "marry" as they're all sealed tins, even with how crappy some of them seal. But anyway that has kept the tins I've had kicking around for a while quite fresh and makes a big difference compared to just having the tins sitting around in open air! A big jar would work too but seems like it would be difficult to fish the tins out.

Enjoy and report back as you get into it!
Last edited by drl on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
drl

Postby SenatorXMG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:03 pm

cakeanddottle wrote:I would invest $8 in a flat of 4oz mason jars. They're perfect for snuff.

Ha ha ha! At my rate, I should invest through buying shares in a jarring company!
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby drl » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Oh, and invest in a good hanky too if you don't already carry one :>
(And preferably a dark-colored one and not white!)
Dave
drl

Postby SenatorXMG » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Dry toasts and moist grinds...never knew snuff came in anything but a fine dust. I just assumed it was all in a consistency like dry powdered flour. I cannot imagine putting moist grinds up my nose...but I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the info, guys!
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby Dodger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Nice varied selection .

But like the other members I advise you to leave the toast alone until you have perfected your technique .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 pm

SenatorXMG wrote:Other than seeing some of these snuffs mentioned here, I really have no idea what I'm to expect! ;-) Heck...I don't even know how to do snuff. I enjoy a good nic hit and thought this woukd be good for the office.

Great info here matey ;

http://www.snuffbox.org.uk/
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby englanddave » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:39 pm

ScotsJim wrote:
SenatorXMG wrote:Other than seeing some of these snuffs mentioned here, I really have no idea what I'm to expect! ;-) Heck...I don't even know how to do snuff. I enjoy a good nic hit and thought this woukd be good for the office.

Great info here matey ;

http://www.snuffbox.org.uk/

Thanks Jim that is a Great link very informative
Dave

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”
-Indian Proverb
englanddave
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby barredbenny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:31 am

Have fun trying snuffs. While I agree with Mike that coarser snuffs are easy to take and good on nicotine, I would suggest to not give up on finer snuffs too soon. Snuffing technique has evolved a lot for me over the past year, and I am veering to finer snuffs now as they necessitate hardly any blowing out for me (everybody's physique is different though). The nicotine and taste of Irish High Toast is also something of beauty :D

The difficult part with toasts is to not have them hit the back of your throat, and it takes some experimenting to get it right. I tend to pinch (as opposed to back of the hand, boxcar method or the spoon) and what works for me with these fine snuffs is to do this:

1. Take a deep breath and hold.
2. Take a good sized pinch of snuff and bring it to the nose.
3. Bring it up close to your nose and pretend to smell it very delicately, breath still held.
4. Simultaneously release the pressure of the pinch.
5. If there is some snuff left in the pinch, use it for the other nostril in the same way. If not, new pinch!
6. Dust the nostrils with snazzy handkerchief to avoid flour-face.

Coarser snuffs like the Kendal Browns are dead simple compared to this:

1. Take pinch and bring to nose.
2. Snuff it. Job done.
3. Take swig of ale.

Any way, that works for me.
Pinch taker in residence.
barredbenny

Location: London town, where the streets are paved with gold...

Postby barredbenny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 am

SenatorXMG wrote:Samuel Gawith Black Coffee 25g
Fribourg & Treyer High Dry Toast 25g
Fribourg & Treyer Macouba 25g
Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Brown 25g

Other than seeing some of these snuffs mentioned here, I really have no idea what I'm to expect! ;-) Heck...I don't even know how to do snuff. I enjoy a good nic hit and thought this woukd be good for the office.

I love all of these snuffs - I think the F&T Macouba is a relatively underrated snuff but one of the most lovely tastes around, IMHO. The Black Coffee, well, my very favourite morning snuff. The coffee taste doesn't convince everyone, but the tobacco base is undisputedly gorgeous. KB, one of the two original Kendal Browns. These are landmarks in snuff... Try the SG version too if you like this.

And as for High Dry Toast - this is reputed to be identical to Wilson's of Sharrow's Irish High Toast no. 22. What can I say? Loverly....

As for that Viking: careful.... I have to sit down when I take a good pinch of that!
barredbenny

Postby SenatorXMG » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for your helpful post, bb...I'm very anxious to begin snuffing! Can't wait for my order to arrive!
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby barredbenny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:09 pm

SenatorXMG wrote:Thanks for your helpful post, bb...I'm very anxious to begin snuffing! Can't wait for my order to arrive!

You've got a great start there - all high quality snuffs from good makers. The Toques are good quality snuffs from a new maker with lots of enthusiasm and fun ideas, and a good quality tobacco base. Loved by many. Unfortunately not by my nose, which gets clogged up with anything Toque.

But when you start snuffing, and you take a toot of an F&T snuff or a KB, just realise that you are partaking in a pleasure and taste sensation that takes you back to the 18th century... before people were even smoking pipes in the Western world. It is a wonderful journey and be sure to revisit snuffs as your tastes and technique will change.
barredbenny

Postby kats » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:33 pm

barredbenny wrote:1. Take pinch and bring to nose.
2. Snuff it. Job done.
3. Take swig of ale.

Sit at the feet of the master... and learn young one, learn. 8-) 8-)

Never miss step #3 :D
George
There are three kinds of people in this world... those who can add and those who can't.
kats

Postby SenatorXMG » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 pm

kats wrote:
barredbenny wrote:1. Take pinch and bring to nose.
2. Snuff it. Job done.
3. Take swig of ale.

Sit at the feet of the master... and learn young one, learn. 8-) 8-)

Never miss step #3 :D

Excellent...reason for cracking a beer open in the morning! B-)
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Postby ChesterCopperpot » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:09 am

barredbenny wrote:
As for that Viking: careful.... I have to sit down when I take a good pinch of that!

Viking will punish you if you take too much, both in nic and throat drip. I get terrible drip with it where I have to blow my nose several times. Maybe it's just me.

I have two Toques, both oddballs: Bacon and Cheese and Peanut butter. I don't mind either of them but I don't think I'd get any more! Actually I think the peanut butter is pretty good.
- Seth
-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry, sometimes my mouth has a mouth of its own"
ChesterCopperpot

Postby barredbenny » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 am

Hey Senator, how's the snuff going?
barredbenny

Postby SenatorXMG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

barredbenny wrote:Hey Senator, how's the snuff going?

:-(

Hoping it arrives soon. Will post on my success/failure when it does!
Bryan
SenatorXMG

Next

Return to Other Tobacco Products