Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Cigar for someone who does not like cigars?

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

Cigar for someone who does not like cigars?

Postby FightnHampsters » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:27 pm

I am not a big fan of cigars, or at least the ones I have tried. I have had some Macanudo's with the white and green label. They are ok but they can be a bit harsh.

That being said cigars are good for situations where pipes are inconvenient. What are some recomendations for mild cigars that are smooth for a guy who does not normally smoke 'em?
FightnHampsters

Re: Cigar for someone who does not like cigars?

Postby Smitty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I really like Garcia & Vega's offerings. Particularly the smaller rum flavoured ones. Back Woods cheroots are really good too. The Back Woods black pack reminds me a lot of Captain Black White. I'd say you can't go wrong with either of them. I smoke those a lot when out and about when the pipe is inconvenient.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby bearded1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 pm

When would a pipe be too inconvenient but a cigar would not be? Both require a time commitment (a cigar more than a pipe), and both are something to relax or enjoy leisurely (not while working) IMO.

If you don't like cigars much, stick with a pipe. Just a different perspective.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby ragefather » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Ashton's white label is one of the mildest cigars on the market, while still having that cigar flavor. It is highly regarded and not too expensive. People who don't like cigars should stick with "Connecticut" wrappers, which tend to be on the nuttier and milder flavor, and might or might not have less nicotine. I recommend this to all my new cigar smoking friends.

There are also flavored cigars, while often equated to an aromatic, might taste like they are saying, certainly do not smell any better than a regular cigar. I some a lot of the 'ACID' offerings such as Kuba Kuba.
ragefather

Postby ragefather » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:01 pm

bearded1 wrote:When would a pipe be too inconvenient but a cigar would not be? Both require a time commitment (a cigar more than a pipe), and both are something to relax or enjoy leisurely (not while working) IMO.

I switch to a cigar when it is too windy to keep a pipe lit, or when it is really cold out and I need to wear gloves. For whatever reason I find it awkward to smoke a pipe with gloves on, tamper and everything.
ragefather

Postby Smitty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 pm

I like them when I'm driving. A pipe is too much of a distraction for me.
--Jason

UNIT HQ blog: http://unit-hq.blogspot.com/

"Three days without food and water is one thing, but to be without tobacco... I HAVE FOUND MOST IRKSOME!!!"
--Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

It's ten o'clock. Do you know where your wind-caps are?
Smitty

Postby bearded1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 pm

ragefather wrote:
bearded1 wrote:When would a pipe be too inconvenient but a cigar would not be? Both require a time commitment (a cigar more than a pipe), and both are something to relax or enjoy leisurely (not while working) IMO.

I switch to a cigar when it is too windy to keep a pipe lit, or when it is really cold out and I need to wear gloves. For whatever reason I find it awkward to smoke a pipe with gloves on, tamper and everything.

When it's too windy, cigars aren't much fun to me and I almost never crave a cigar when it's not warm and sunny out. Driving I could see being handy though (as the poster mentioned). I've never tried driving with a pipe or cigar, but can see a cigar being superior in maintaining focus on driving.
-Paul
bearded1

Postby FightnHampsters » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 pm

bearded1 wrote:
ragefather wrote:

When it's too windy, cigars aren't much fun to me and I almost never crave a cigar when it's not warm and sunny out. Driving I could see being handy though (as the poster mentioned). I've never tried driving with a pipe or cigar, but can see a cigar being superior in maintaining focus on driving.

+1

I was planning on going to the beach for a spell.
FightnHampsters

Postby acaciavet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:04 pm

I used to smoke Gras untill the price spiked.I and but a LB of Tobacco for the price of one good stick. Hell I can by a LB of Pot for less then a Good Cigar.

Up Spirits
Chuck
Once a Coastie always a Coastie
Chuck
acaciavet
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Return to Other Tobacco Products