Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Snuff recommendations for a beginner

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

Snuff recommendations for a beginner

Postby Condoranian » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Hullo fellow pipesmokers and snuff takers!

I would like to have a try at taking snuff to compliment pipe smoking. As the post suggests I would like a good recommendation of snuffs that I am most likely to find at UK tobacconists, I am thinking perhaps of Wilson's ect, I know that was the most common ones sold in baccy shops years ago. Also a few handy tips would be welcome.

Cheers
Dave
"If there was a Temple of Condor I would be a dedicated worshipper of it "
Condoranian

Re: Snuff recommendations for a beginner

Postby Dodger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:16 pm

You are right Wilsons are now the most common ,with the exception of Hedges ,SP1 and Medicated 99 who are made in South Africa for Imperial Tobacco .
My advice is to try Wilsons Jockey Club to start with or one of their fruit or flower snuffs .
The one to avoid for a novice is Irish Dry Toast which is fine ground and very dry .
The two things to remember when taking snuff is not to sniff too hard as the object is to get the snuff into the nose and not into the throat .Always have tissues or a proper snuff handkerchief to hand as what goes up must come down :D
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby ScotsJim » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:27 pm

I particularly like Packard's Club Snuff. Comes in a wee slim plastic case with it's own built-in dispenser.
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby gnossos » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I got into it for awhile, never really "got" the irish toasts but preferred their nicotine kick.

I couldn't take all the nose blowing!
gnossos
Plank Owner
Plank Owner

Postby BladeBoy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:14 pm

I think Samuel Gawith snuffs would make a good beginner snuff, lots of great scents and easy to take IMO, the Cherry is great if you like cherry.
BladeBoy

Postby jwh891 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:15 am

I think i may just have to take the plunge...
John

"This above all, to thine own self be true"

Blog: http://tactofliving.blogspot.com

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowboysurfer2010
jwh891

Postby barredbenny » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm

I know this is a very old thread, so this might not be of any use to the OP, but perhaps it is useful to someone lurking. In my experience, and judging from a snuff forum I visit, people's noses respond very differently to different kinds of snuff. Some take well to coarse snuffs, others find that it leads to a lot of nose blowing. Fine snuffs are more difficult to take, but (at least for me) don't necessitate any blowing out of the snuff - it just surreptitiously falls out throughout the day. Some flavours irritate some noses and not others, and so on. If you are in the UK and can readily buy snuff, try some different kinds and see what works.

Not sniffing too hard is good advice, in any case. When taking a finer snuff, one way of doing this is taking a full breath, holding it, and then sniffing the pinch. This forces you to not inhale deeply, and have the snuff land where it belongs.

Wilson's are a good company, with a dizzying array of snuffs. Their Irish Toast is my absolute favourite, and I also have a soft spot for their traditional perfumed snuffs, like Morlaix and Rose, but I have to pace myself with those lest I clog up.
Pinch taker in residence.
barredbenny

Location: London town, where the streets are paved with gold...

Postby butterspread » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:21 pm

My two absolute favourites are:
1 Gawith Apricot Snuff
2 Ozona Raspberry Snuff
Both readily available to buy online so have a try.

Medicated is cool for strength but is also extremely difficult to take due to it being so finely ground.
butterspread

Return to Other Tobacco Products