Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

My snuff box family

Cigars, cigarettes, snuff, dip, chew, snus

My snuff box family

Postby barredbenny » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 am

I posted these pictures on a snuff forum already, but I figured some of the resident snuffers here might appreciate it here too. My silver snuff box collection. The large box in the middle is a table snuff box from the 19th century, which I got for about a tenth of what it would normally be worth, below the scrap silver price for the hefty wight of the box. It sits on my desk when I work, and I pinch from it when the mood strikes, like a small tabletop snuff humidor. And the bottom right plain silver box is my everyday companion, I love it to bits, and it's got the dents to prove it.

The boxes on the left side are all 19th century antiques, and again all bought quite cheaply because they weren't mint condition which means the antiques people pass on them. The box top right is from 1966, and was never used and probably a gift to someone who didn't use snuff. I have posted it here before, it's a very pretty little box that I only use on special occasions.

Pinch taker in residence.
barredbenny

Location: London town, where the streets are paved with gold...

Re: My snuff box family

Postby ScotsJim » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Love these matey :)

I need to get myself a snuff box. I owned one back in the early 80's but that's long lost. Flakedout ( Frank ) on this here forum kindly gave me a bullet to use for my snuff. Well impressed with it as it makes taking snuff so much simpler. Not as attractive as the silver boxes but certainly more practical for the man on the move, and I've been known to move around on occasion ;)
Jim
"The Pontificating Pipe!"
http://www.youtube.com/user/TamperPeterson
Don't make me get my penny whistle !
http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheroblivion45
ScotsJim

Postby Dodger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:40 pm

ScotsJim wrote:Love these matey :)

+1

It is amazing what one can find in antique shops if you do not insist on perfection .
Dodger
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby BladeBoy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Those are great snuff boxes.
BladeBoy

Postby barredbenny » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 am

ScotsJim wrote:Love these matey :)

I need to get myself a snuff box. I owned one back in the early 80's but that's long lost. Flakedout ( Frank ) on this here forum kindly gave me a bullet to use for my snuff. Well impressed with it as it makes taking snuff so much simpler. Not as attractive as the silver boxes but certainly more practical for the man on the move, and I've been known to move around on occasion ;)

Thanks Jim. It is an indulgence of mine. They are just beautiful examples of craftsmanship, the hinges, the machining, the details, just amazing. All of these boxes are English by the way, and they show the craft of Victorian makers. Just amazing, I think.

I have never tried a bullet, and I don't think I will to be honest, since I take such fine snuffs and I am so used to pinching them. I use a spoon once in a blue moon but really it's not my preferred way of taking it. And as for taking a silver box out the door, well, I jus remember what I paid for it, and it is about £35 if I remember correctly for my trusty everyday box. I wouldn't hesitate to take a pipe of that value out the door, and so it is with a snuffbox for me.

Dodger wrote:+1

It is amazing what one can find in antique shops if you do not insist on perfection .

Yeah definitely. What the collectors love is a pristine unused snuffbox, made mid-nineteenth century by a big name maker like Nathaniel Mills. These go for well over a thousand pounds, sometimes several thousands. The percentage of nice old snuffboxes still being used for their original purpose must be tiny. I think it's a real shame. Apart from silver, there are some fantastic wooden and papier mache boxes still around, those are great too.

BladeBoy wrote:Those are great snuff boxes.

Thanks Aaron.
barredbenny

Postby ScotsJim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:11 am

barredbenny wrote:I have never tried a bullet....

Neither had I until last Sunday. Imagine a swift Vitamin N kick in the head and you'll get the idea... ;) :lol:
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby barredbenny » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:51 pm

A bullet to the head eh? I think I might leave that to you Jim! I am sure the dholakia white helps too....
barredbenny

Postby ScotsJim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 pm

barredbenny wrote:A bullet to the head eh? I think I might leave that to you Jim! I am sure the dholakia white helps too....

At the moment my bullet contains Crumbs of Comfort. Will be filling it with Dholakia when it's empty.
Jim
ScotsJim

Postby RompinDonkey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Those are really good boxes Benny. Envious here.
Alan

God grant me the Serenity, to buy the bacca that I need;
Courage to refrain from buying bacca that I won't like; and Wisdom to know the difference.
RompinDonkey
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member
Moderator, Plank Owner, and Supporting Member

Postby barredbenny » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:13 pm

RompinDonkey wrote:Those are really good boxes Benny. Envious here.

Thanks Alan. These don't have to cost the earth if you are patient, have a look around Ebay and antiques shops. I think us Brits are lucky because there are so many still left, which is far less the case in the US and continental Europe.
barredbenny

Return to Other Tobacco Products