Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Good wishes

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Good wishes

Postby Geo3rge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 pm

I am not sure how many members in America are experiencing difficulties with the current hurricane problems, but I'd simply like to wish you good wishes and good luck in your situation. I sincerely hope that you can come through unscathed as much as possible.
All the very best to you...
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Good wishes

Postby KevLa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes, good luck, friends! Hope you stay safe.
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby ratatosk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:39 am

I personally experienced no more than heavy rain and some wind gusts in Atlanta, same as a severe storm coming in from Alabama minus the tornadoes. But there were a lot of power outages and there are still streets blocked off because of fallen trees.

Around a billion people came to Georgia from Florida and mostly hung around Atlanta, so traffic back to the south today was heavy, but that did not affect me. Still some schools closed tomorrow for various reasons, but we came out ok for the most part. I've been up close in 3 tornadoes and this was nothing like that, then again Atlanta should never have to deal with a tropical storm to begin with, so I am cherry picking....
Richard
-----------
If even I don't know how many pipes I own, how the hell would you know if I have too many?
ratatosk
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:26 pm

There are pros and cons to living in Britain, and this is unquestionably a pro. Glad you're all right, Richard :)
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby Geo3rge » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 pm

I remember a hurricane in the late 1980s with tremendously high wind speeds that seemed frightening at the time. I narrowly escaped being smashed by a chimney stack dislodged by the wind. I'd been outside checking the car, went indoors and a few seconds later heard the crash of bricks and ceramic chimney falling through the porch roof of the apartments where I rented accommodation. The whole building seemed to shake; every window rattled alarmingly. The screech and howl of the wind was quite unsettling.
That was the year when a BBC weather presenter became famous (or infamous) when he had earlier, in his TV forecast, denied any chance of a hurricane arriving!
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby KevLa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Geo3rge wrote:I remember a hurricane in the late 1980s with tremendously high wind speeds that seemed frightening at the time. I narrowly escaped being smashed by a chimney stack dislodged by the wind. I'd been outside checking the car, went indoors and a few seconds later heard the crash of bricks and ceramic chimney falling through the porch roof of the apartments where I rented accommodation. The whole building seemed to shake; every window rattled alarmingly. The screech and howl of the wind was quite unsettling.
That was the year when a BBC weather presenter became famous (or infamous) when he had earlier, in his TV forecast, denied any chance of a hurricane arriving!

Oh, yeah, I remember that! Very freakish, and of course, much less powerful than the hurricanes experienced in other parts of the world, but bad enough when you nearly get chimneyed to death :o
I never place much faith in weather forecasts, I just take a brolly everywhere :)
KevLa

Return to General Off-topic