Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Tannerds

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Tannerds

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:20 am

Anyone here have Tannoy speakers? I'm planning on building me a set of speakers with 12" monitor golds. I'd like the 15" drivers but I have no place for 300L cabinets right now! I'm also using a vintage Luxman amplifier.

These are amazing speakers for those that care about hi end audio. The current generation doesn't seem to care about high quality audio anymore with the invention of MP3 players and smart phones.

http://www.hilberink.nl/speaker.htm
Bob
Bob
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Tannerds

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:39 am

If you guys in the UK don't know about Tannoy's I'm shocked. This is a UK product. The speakers made up to about 1975 are legendary. They are famous for being used in many studios over the years including recordings by the Beatles.

Bob
Bob
Bob

Postby KevLa » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:43 am

Hi, Bob!
"Tannoy" is used as slang for "loudspeaker," over here. And I can assure you that not all of us are riding the MP3/smartphone wave! :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Postby TigerJack » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi Bob, I actually have never heard of them. I have & use original Pioneer equipment from the 70's & they still sound as good today as they did back then , I have the large end table type Pioneer speakers which have either 14 or 15 inch speakers in them , I also have the original Pioneer turntable & cassette player as well, G'Day Sir
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:04 am

As with Kev's answer, Tannoy is a slang word here, as in "...over the Tannoy...".
And as my involvement with music is limited almost solely to listening on the radio or an LP, (and the Beatles tended to bypass me a little) I have no knowledge whatsoever of Tannoys as a make. Sorry!
Hope you can be successful in your project, Bob. Good luck.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 am

KevLa wrote:Hi, Bob!
"Tannoy" is used as slang for "loudspeaker," over here. And I can assure you that not all of us are riding the MP3/smartphone wave! :)

'
Yes, I've read the company was so famous for PA speakers that Tannoy became a slang term. I know Tannoys are not widely known around the world but they are very highly regarded in Canada and especially Japan. I used to live within driving distance of the Canadian boarder and true "audiophiles" had Tannoys. That's how I heard about them. The speakers they make for the home market are very good. Like I said, up until about 1975 to 1980 they were mind blowing and affordable. One full range speaker per cabinet. They didn't sell much because the average person expected to see many speakers in a cabinet. If you ever get a chance to hear a pair you'll know what I mean.
Bob
Bob

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 am

TigerJack wrote:Hi Bob, I actually have never heard of them. I have & use original Pioneer equipment from the 70's & they still sound as good today as they did back then

Even though they were common in the U.S., Pioneer made some of the very best amplifiers back then. Who knew? Compared to the quality of today, those 70's amplifiers are way better. I'll only buy a vintage amp.

I've never heard the Pioneer speakers. I'm building some new speakers because my kids blew mine up years ago ... they turned up the volume on my Kenwood amp all the way up then turned it on. Amp was fried too. It took me this long to want a decent stereo again. I also fixed up my turntable so I can listen to my old vinyl. Brings back a lot of memories.
Bob
Bob

Postby daveinlax » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:40 pm

This is the place for the "dream" mid life crises stereo system. Even if it's out of you price range it's still a fun look and the owner is a well known pipe collector and really good guy. :ugeek:
http://rbhifi1.com/index.php
daveinlax

Return to General Off-topic