Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

Allotment

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

Allotment

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:51 pm

I've just taken over a half-allotment here in the U.K. For folk in other places, an allotment is basically a patch of land, in a communal setting with other patches, where folk pay a minimal rent for a year and can cultivate the ground in order to grow fruit, vegetables and/or flowers etc. It is a chance to indulge in some fresh air and exercise whilst growing things.

I visited the area last week - I'd been on a waiting list for five years - and my allotment is huge. Not sure how on earth I will dig it all over, but patience and stamina will be the keys initially and allotment club members help each other out.

It's an opportunity to plant, nurture, grow and then enjoy one's own produce. Produce can also be sold in the community's shop and there is a meeting place there for AGMs etc. The plot of land is with about thirty others and is in a pleasant area not overlooked by buildings, and all I could hear were birds singing and the wind rustling in the trees.

I think it will the perfect place to enjoy a few pipes, once I get a shed or greenhouse set up and a table for summer refreshments. Being outdoors, I'm hoping that folk won't object to pipe tobacco smoke wafting around. There will be other smokers there, I'm sure.

That's one of my projects this year, and it will be fun, though hard work, to do.
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: Allotment

Postby KevLa » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Brilliant, mate! Hope you enjoy it :)
Please spread the word about considering hedgehogs with reference to slug pellets; they need as many friends as they can get :)
KevLa

Postby TigerJack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Steve, Gardening is very gratifying , I grew up with home gardens my entire life and was in gardening since I was a very young child helping my parents in the home garden, I have 5 acres of land & have always grew a garden here at my home but in the last year or two my health has hampered it so probably no more gardening, I do plan to grow a little tobacco this year but not a lot. With home grown produce you at least know for sure what insecticides have been used or not used, I know the produce sold here in the US in the Super markets are insecticide laden, so at least your veggies will actually be healthy for you for a change.G'Dat Sir
"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It"
Clint
TigerJack

Postby Geo3rge » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks, guys. Good to see some like-minded thoughts.
KevLa wrote:Brilliant, mate! Hope you enjoy it :)
Please spread the word about considering hedgehogs with reference to slug pellets; they need as many friends as they can get :)

Kev, I stopped using these years and years ago. I cannot bear the thought of a hedgehog or other creature being affected by the chemicals. I have used weedkiller on occasions in small doses and in selected areas, but I have tried to keep things to a bare minimum with regards to this and, in fact, rarely use the stuff. However, some weeds are difficult to control or dig out and it's a dilemma that I face quite a lot. Most of the time I try and dig them out.

Tigerj, good to read of your involvement in gardening. Hope the health can improve and you can enjoy some of that home grown produce you mention.
I always feel very good after some garden work. Not sure if it is the direct contact with things such as soil, leaves or wood, but it certainly is a perfect balance to some of the things we become over-exposed to such as technology, TV (though in my case I don't have a TV) or meetingitis...I've a feeling that the brain engages in a different way when doing something like digging or pruning etc.
S
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge

Return to General Off-topic