Tamp&Puff member-recommended eBay sellers →  bobus  •  great estate-pipes  •  Judd  •  irishlefty  •  knobby  •  pipestud  •  shiny pipes  •  secondhandsmoker

More allotmenteering...

Because there's more to life than pipe smoking. If it will not fit another forum, bring it up here.

More allotmenteering...

Postby Geo3rge » Sat May 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Having had an allotment for about a month now, my single overriding memory thus far is that of digging. I tend to go in the early evening for a couple of hours and just dig a bit more of the grossly neglected site, removing weeds (roots included, if I can) and grass clumps. It takes a long time just to do over a small patch, as I tend to dig a lump out, then break it apart, pulling out the weed roots by hand so as to remove as much of them as possible.
The aim is to clear each of the four main blocks by September. At this rate, I should be on time, depending on the weather, health and mood.
It's a great place to retreat to, away from home and the noise of my local main road and to meet fellow gardeners (allotmenteers) and also to see and listen to the vast amount of bird life present on the site, with its sixty or so plots. I also go to feed the resident cat who seems to have no other home to go to, so I tend to feel rather sorry for him. He now comes running whenever I arrive.
Last evening I started and did a few more feet, but then the (welcome) rain came lashing down and it was pointless getting soaked, so I left. Back later today, I think.

As to crops, potatoes are in and I have some cabbage to plant as well. Plenty of time to plan the plot for next year; I've enough on my plate right now just digging...
Steve
Moi, fumer une pipe, naturellement...
Geo3rge
Moderator & Supporting Member
Moderator & Supporting Member

Re: More allotmenteering...

Postby KevLa » Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Nice work, mate :)
Kev-La :ugeek:__,~
"One being's junk is another's art." Motto of Pipes (Autobot warrior, from Transformers: Generation 1).
KevLa

Return to General Off-topic